Sponsored

Transmission thump/clunk

UnlivedAttack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Just got my GT500 two days ago and noticed a rather rough downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear when coming to a stop. Makes a smooth stop hard to do as there is a jerk.

Also noticed that in certain situation upshifts are sometimes "clunky" and not smooth. I can hear and feel under the car some jerk movement. Not too bad, but noticable and just "doesn't feel right".

Any other GT500 owners experiencing this?
Sponsored

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Not sure if it’s normal however the transmission does have a learning curve to how you drive. Try putting a few miles on the car and see if that help.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
The thing is, most of us really have no experience with a DCT, so who really knows what is normal. vs not normal? I have never been in a DCT car before, I sometimes think something is weird, but I have no basis to know. I have zero complaints though. I agree with the above statement, get some more miles logged and see what happens as the car learns how you drive.

Jaime

Go Fast !

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor , 2020 GT500
I can’t say for sure if your transmission is operating perfectly but having own a GTR with a DCT for years & the transmission made tons of noises. Clunks, thumps ..... after consulting form than & other owns telling me not to worry got use to it. I’ve noticed some very similar sounds.

Go Fast !

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor , 2020 GT500
I also think over time it/I learned to work together. Than I had engine & trans built to 1000hp & it felt like a violent race car that my wife would no longer drive or ride in. Lesson learned , maybe ?

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Excellent point, Jaime and one I hadn't truly considered. All we can "know" is what others are experiencing to see if it's different from our own.

I have had some, maybe "slightly abrupt" downshifts but have yet to hear or feel any thumps or thunks going in either direction.

And Duncan's remarks seem to indicate noise in a DCT isn't unusual, at least in GTR's.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
This is my 2nd DCT car and I have noticed the same thing, definitely a "blip" and small jerk as the GT500 slows down in the gears you are talking about.

My S4 did the exact same thing when it was in "sport" mode, so I am 100% not concerned and am simply enjoying the throttle blips. Little reminder about what this monster really is.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Sport mode is the most comfortable ive found. Also, if u drive the same every day, it will learn and adjust to.you, but if u drive differently, it seemes to not be ready for the aggressive vs defensive type driving change. I think thats when most of the sounds occur

chill66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500
Sport mode is the most comfortable ive found. Also, if u drive the same every day, it will learn and adjust to.you, but if u drive differently, it seemes to not be ready for the aggressive vs defensive type driving change. I think thats when most of the sounds occur
I have noticed this same behavior. I go longish periods of time driving the car like a decent human being. Then, I surprise it and drive it like I stole it and it takes some time to re-adjust. I think the solution is to always drive it like you stole it. That way...it's just ready. lol!

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Interesting stuff.

The DCTs in these are the elephant in the room for me as far as ordering one when things turn around. I haven't seen many serious issues on the net so far, and that's a good thing. I'm sure they have their quirks, but quirks are a little different than fatal flaws.

Go Fast !

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor , 2020 GT500
I hope you didn't get me wrong . I'm a huge fan of the DCT , no torque converter HP/TQ loss , lightning fast gear changes & keeping your hands on the wheel. Rowing thru the gears can be a pleasure but what most people miss is racers preferred manuals over auto for two main reasons HP/TQ power loss with torque convert & being in right gear at the right time. Sorry , lots of hate coming my way for sure

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Interesting stuff.

The DCTs in these are the elephant in the room for me as far as ordering one when things turn around. I haven't seen many serious issues on the net so far, and that's a good thing. I'm sure they have their quirks, but quirks are a little different than fatal flaws.
They are taking a beating, so now flaws yet.

Also, i doubt much time will be spent in auto mode..
Sponsored