Sponsored

Borked my front bumper - have questions

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I was pulling out of my garage earlier, and not paying as much attention as I should have, and this was the result...

IMG_20200320_121042.jpg

The bumper may need to be replaced, though the scratches aren't deep, they just went through the color and clear. The fender likely just needs a respray on the wheel arch, as there's no damage to the metal itself.

Has anyone bought a replacement bumper from AutoNation White Bear Lake or Levittown Ford? They both charge a $75 core charge. Any idea how they plan to collect the core? Also, there are two different bumpers listed, one with a tow hook and one without. I don't have a tow hook on my vehicle, have have never seen one with a tow hook. Any idea which is the correct part?

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 3.23.05 PM.png

JR
Sponsored

Gregory347

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1985 Mustang
Cant answer your question but any decent body shop will be able to repair that bumper.

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
That part is flexible plastic, from your picture it looks like a lot of transfer from door jam. Have you tried using a polishing compound/scratch remover to see how bad the real paint is

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
That is a $500 or under repair. You don't need a new bumper, unless you bent something that can not be seen in the pic. Have you checked with a body shop?

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Looks like it slightly rubbed the metal of the upper fender, but that can be touched up when they blend it. Get it repaired man, looks like a scrape. You might have lost a little material on the edge so without any filler it won't look factory-new, but once they clean it up and paint over it, you shouldn't notice a difference unless you really stare at it.

Sponsored

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
I was pulling out of my garage earlier, and not paying as much attention as I should have, and this was the result...

IMG_20200320_121042.jpg

The bumper may need to be replaced, though the scratches aren't deep, they just went through the color and clear. The fender likely just needs a respray on the wheel arch, as there's no damage to the metal itself.

Has anyone bought a replacement bumper from AutoNation White Bear Lake or Levittown Ford? They both charge a $75 core charge. Any idea how they plan to collect the core? Also, there are two different bumpers listed, one with a tow hook and one without. I don't have a tow hook on my vehicle, have have never seen one with a tow hook. Any idea which is the correct part?

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 3.23.05 PM.png

JR

If they ship you a new one you will have to ship them back core or forfeit the $75.00.., if you replace it it would be better to get it from your local dealer residential freight will cost too much the dealer gets s discount.

BUT....

you don’t need a replacement ..any body shop can fix that in less then 2 days down time. The damage doesn’t warrant a replacement.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Thanks all. I went to a body shop on Friday afternoon, and they quoted me $950 to remove, repair, and paint the bumper and fender. I spoke with a guy I know that runs a pretty well known race/performance shop in Charleston, European Road and Racing (the owner is a former Porsche factory driver), and he's going to repair it for about $600 with his personal body shop guy. Plus, I get to see his F1 car and various other shop projects.

JR

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Thanks all. I went to a body shop on Friday afternoon, and they quoted me $950 to remove, repair, and paint the bumper and fender. I spoke with a guy I know that runs a pretty well known race/performance shop in Charleston, European Road and Racing (the owner is a former Porsche factory driver), and he's going to repair it for about $600 with his personal body shop guy. Plus, I get to see his F1 car and various other shop projects.

JR

Win /win for you and $600 is excellent. Post some pics here once you get her back.

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged
Looks like it went through the base coat on the edge. Compound and polish wouldnt fix this. You need a respray.
Sponsored