Sponsored

OPG & CS Installation Poll -- Have you upgraded these parts?

Are you running boost on stock OPG / CS?

• Total voters

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
They may be for experienced mechanics, not really something Joe Schmoe can do in his driveway as a fun weekend project. That's really the big determining factor in these...most people won't be able to do them and have to pay exuberant prices for labor, thus is not a simple cheap insurance.
Exactly! It "doesn't look that bad" when watching an install video, but I don't have the mechanical experience to open up the motor, deal with timing, etc. What have you been quoted?
I just did mine within the last month...
It’s not necessarily hard, just a huge project...it takes a long time just getting everything uninstalled just to be able to get to them. Timing procedure is probably one of, if not the easiest part.
Sponsored

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
What do you consider "high rpm?" I have the '18 intake manifold too. My plan is to have the RPM limiter set at 8K (to avoid hitting it), but shift around 7400.
Here’s exactly what Lund told me...
“no point in ringing it all the way out with the stock manifold. but the limiter is at 8k. with opg you can go that high just not optimal. id shift in the 7500-7700 range. ”

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
The consensus is a close race.

31 stock OPG/CS v. 33 upgraded OPG/CS.

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
Did them in my garage little by little everyday after school. Not too bad and I have zero mechanical experience. Like others said cheap insurance when boosted

Sponsored

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't like when these types of OPG threads lump all s550s together. 15-17 is not the same install or even the same gears as the 18. Also I'd think AT vs 6sp would make a big difference in the decision making process. For everyone saying cheap insurance, you weren't quoted an install on an 18 and up lol.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
So are you saying the labor on an 18 is more than 15-17? Are you also saying that people with autos don't have to worry? I am going to do this sometime no matter if I go FI or not. I think @Roh92cp broke his without FI (I can't remember...hopefully he will chime in)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I don't like when these types of OPG threads lump all s550s together. 15-17 is not the same install or even the same gears as the 18. Also I'd think AT vs 6sp would make a big difference in the decision making process. For everyone saying cheap insurance, you weren't quoted an install on an 18 and up lol.
Why is the 18+ install different? And who said it got different gears?

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So far I have been quoted $1500 for install and that does NOT include parts.... I am mechanically inclined and have done lots of work on cars BUT tearing the front of the motor apart does seem nerve racking to me. LOL
Also, just because you can REV the Coyote to 8K rpm DOESNT mean that's the optimal rev for shifting. What everyone needs to understand is that at some point in your powerband you start to LOSE power. I recommend you have your car tuned on a dyno so that you can see at what RPM your power starts to drop off again.
As an example....my '16 Gt with bolt on's made 465 whp and 419 Trq.... it starts to drop power at 7300 rpm's so revving it to 8K will do me NO GOOD when at the track. I shift at 7200 rpm so that the power band is at its peak....

... bolt on's ....
18 intake manifold with IRC lockouts
cold air intake
long tubes
cat back
170* thermostat
tuned on 93 octane
Tune by PalmBeach Dyno

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
it starts to drop power at 7300 rpm's so revving it to 8K will do me NO GOOD when at the track. I shift at 7200 rpm so that the power band is at its peak....
If power peaks at 7300, why are you shifting at 7200? You should be shifting a few hundred RPM past peak power, hence why the Gen 3 Coyote is limited to 7500 and has the same manifold.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
The install for the 2018+ is a little different, because the oil pan needs to be dropped down. This needs to be done since the 2018+ has a composite oil pan (plastic) with a slip fit plastic pick up tube. The oil pan needs to be lowered so that the pick up tube slips out of the oil pump, then that allows the oil pump to be removed. I did a bit of research regarding this since mine is a 2019. I just got my TSS gears, just waiting on the Whipple to come in then it's wrench time.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If power peaks at 7300, why are you shifting at 7200? You should be shifting a few hundred RPM past peak power, hence why the Gen 3 Coyote is limited to 7500 and has the same manifold.
Because sometimes Im not perfect and I made a typo....... LMAO
I shift at 7300, no need to pass it as power drops. I have all the mods to let me shift at 8K but its not needed.... my power curve starts to drop prior to 8K....thats what dyno graphs are good for...

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So are you saying the labor on an 18 is more than 15-17? Are you also saying that people with autos don't have to worry? I am going to do this sometime no matter if I go FI or not. I think @Roh92cp broke his without FI (I can't remember...hopefully he will chime in)
Yes more. Labor, see slowpokes post. Having an automatic I don't every have to worry about missing a shift and hit the Rev limiter.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Gears are forged and there is a dampener to reduce vibration.