Sponsored

OPG & CS Installation Poll -- Have you upgraded these parts?

Are you running boost on stock OPG / CS?

• Total voters

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So why are people worried about gears on the 18s if the gears are forged?
Cause People like to worry. Suppliers and manufacturers make a lot money off our fear. It's still a weak point, but the risk has been drastically reduced. For me it is not worth the time and money v risk. For others it is, to each his own.
Sponsored

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's been awhile since I researched but there was something about the forging process that is not optimal.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Yes more. Labor, see slowpokes post. Having an automatic I don't every have to worry about missing a shift and hit the Rev limiter.
If you are paddle shifting, you can definitely hit the rev limiter when doing that...and I have when it didn't shift, had to squeeze the paddle again to make it shift..in other words, I get an occasional hang when in that mode...I'm not tuned and that would probably fix that.

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
People worry about everything. The 15-17 OPG's are just as strong if not stronger. Same ones used in the Boss 302's that were turned up to 8000+rpm range and IIRC, none of them broke.....

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Same ones used in the Boss 302's that were turned up to 8000+rpm range and IIRC, none of them broke.....
This makes me feel better, if it is indeed fact. I am surprised the poll is pretty much a 50/50 split.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
This makes me feel better, if it is indeed fact. I am surprised the poll is pretty much a 50/50 split.
Guarantee you there’s people saying they have them and they don’t. Also in the real world, I’m guessing probably only about 5% (if that) of supercharged Coyotes out there have aftermarket OPG’s.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I ran the stock OPG and CS for about a year and a half while the car was still running on Roush's phase 1 tune. I've since tuned and will be turning it up some more over the next little while, so OPG and CS went in for peace of mind. I'd rather pay for OPG and CS than a new motor.

RaGwEeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2015 Rubicon, 2017 Titan, 2015 Dodge Durango GT
As mentioned by others it is a cheap insurance policy, and honestly its not hard to install either of them. I have a gen 5 whipple on a gen 2 coyote with MMR OPG and CS, install added a 6 pack of craft beer and great day in the garage turning wrenches.

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned by others it is a cheap insurance policy, and honestly its not hard to install either of them. I have a gen 5 whipple on a gen 2 coyote with MMR OPG and CS, install added a 6 pack of craft beer and great day in the garage turning wrenches.
You didn’t find the timing process difficult?

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
^^That's the part that worries me, none of the rest does.

Sponsored

RaGwEeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2015 Rubicon, 2017 Titan, 2015 Dodge Durango GT
You didn’t find the timing process difficult?
Its rather easy to be honest. The hardest part is making sure that the passenger side timing chain is lining up with the mark on the crank sprocket. Adding some white paint to the timing mark on the crank sprocket makes life easier. Roller the engine over several times by hand to verify correct timing, DO NOT ROTATE THE ENGINE BACKWARDS DURING THIS PROCESS!

khsonic03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP / 2016 F150 Lariat / 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Maybe I'm weird but I thought installing the OPG was fun. Wasn't hard, just time consuming. Agree that timing it was one of the easier parts. Just take your time and follow instructions. I did it when installing the Whipple, so I already was almost halfway there.

The actual OPG part of the Whipple install was less than a day, taking my time.
20191230_121900.jpg

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Boosted? I'm worried about my '17 and I plan on staying N/A with fbo and the limiter going to be set at 8k. I keep trying to find reasons to not do it since I'm staying N/A but so many people keep saying "what if?"

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
The poll is tied!
Sponsored