Sponsored

Summer Tire Guidelines How Many Follow Tire Recommendations?

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Here is a truly debatable conversation for some here. Who actually does not drive their Summer rated tires below 45 degrees and or how low will you go in temps. For me personally I’m not radical at 40 degrees but once it’s in the 30s I don’t drive. And once the temps drop to the teens your not even supposed to move the vehicle being 20 degree is the benchmark.
29A76CAD-DF1F-4646-B657-97AF0950C39B.jpeg
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't! I absolutely do not move mine below that 20* threshold you mentioned, ever!

To be fair, I don't know if it's actually dropped below 45 while I've driven my car down here in south Florida either though. Typical cold front might bring us to the mid 60s.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I drive mine in the mid 30’s and up, when the roads are clean, and it’s sunny. I have had MPSS tires on my last 3 mustangs and have never once had an issue. Obviously traction is not at its best, but you can drive on these temp. Cup2, definitely not.

If I didn’t take these opportunities to drive my cars, I’d only get 5 months a year to enjoy them. Drive smart in the cold weather and the tires perform just fine.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Southern boy here, too. I probably won't drive her below 60 daiquiris. And, if we get a freeze, I will put a propane heater in the garage to keep her and her tars, warm. :-)

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
I swap between all-seasons and summers. If there's a risk of below freezing temps, I'm already getting them changed out.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
In Chicago and I usually run my Nitto G2 555's from April 1 to Thanksgiving with no issues down into the 30's as long as it's dry.
Nitto's suck in wet, and they're down right scary wet & cold!
Can't wait to get new summers next month, going to do Conti ECS or PS4S

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
For those who may be interested, the Cup 2's are pretty crappy even at 60 daiquiris. It requires little effort to break them loose.

For once, I actually believe it when they say, "summer tires" because Lord knows, we used to drive those type tires in Ohio Winters without batting an eye. The Cup 2's would be completely useless not to mention they'd probably crack and fall apart. :-)

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I try to stick to above freezing temps, but my car lives in a heated garage and sometimes I'll leave in the morning with outdoor temps in the high 20s. I've done this with PP1 Perellis and Michelins, Challenger Goodyear F1s and Michelin P4S on my PP2. The dealer changed the Cup 2s to P4S before delivery. I haven't had any problem with any of these. It also doesn't happen often because below freezing usually means salt and my poor truck gets all of that duty. Starting out around 60 degrees the tires aren't slippery and they seem to keep enough heat in them to work good.

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
I will drive her in the mid 30s and up if it’s sunny and clear

Sponsored

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
In GA it typically never goes below 30. Seems like this version of tire (MPSS) was fine at cooler temps in my VW and Audi, but feel like glass in this car. I don’t have faith in them below 40 so I drive like grandma.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine out yesterday at an unseasonably high 49º yesterday, and I will take her out today as it will be 50º. I can NOT get enough of this car. I am blown away with the DCT. It feels nothing like an automatic, the clutches in this thing are nothing short of amazing.

Got a whopping 109 miles out of my first full tank lol. This was also the first 100 miles, so I was NOT beating on it. I am sure when it is completely broken in with more than 2,500 miles, it will get better results. Makes no sense that we have to pay a gas guzzler tax, then pump endless gallons of TAXED gas in it. I think our penance should only be the frequency at which we are back at the pumps paying gas taxes.

OP
OP
IceAge

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Took mine out yesterday at an unseasonably high 49º yesterday, and I will take her out today as it will be 50º. I can NOT get enough of this car. I am blown away with the DCT. It feels nothing like an automatic, the clutches in this thing are nothing short of amazing.

Got a whopping 109 miles out of my first full tank lol. This was also the first 100 miles, so I was NOT beating on it. I am sure when it is completely broken in with more than 2,500 miles, it will get better results. Makes no sense that we have to pay a gas guzzler tax, then pump endless gallons of TAXED gas in it. I think our penance should only be the frequency at which we are back at the pumps paying gas taxes.
Oh damn don't get me going on the GAS TAX biggest SCAM in the American TAX history. I used to work in the Oil Industry and we already pay 50 cents a gallon for tax and the ELECTRIC car owners pay NOTHING on road taxes to drive their GREEN save the planet vehicle. We the ICE AGE owners are paying the infrastructure for the GREEN movement. And the trucks and suvs which are gas guzzlers don't pay a gas guzzler tax since they are exempt. Just incredible to say the least and a vehicle that is below 18mpg is automatically looked as a GAS Guzzler.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
A BIG "AMEN!" Jaime and I couldn't help but chuckle reading your description of "the box." I believe I even recently used the same descriptive word and yes, it really, really, REALLY is, amazing.

So far I've seen 11.1 and 13.1 MPG at fill-ups on 93 and still keeping it below 5k.

MOST happy to read that you were able to sneak out in February for some one-on-one with your girl. I bet you didn't stop grinning ALL day. :-)

It's cloudy and 67 at the moment and the normal wind has laid down. I doubt I'll be driving Sarah today as I plan to start paint correcting the '14 before I put her on the market and this is perfect weather for that chore.

BTW, my "bag of brackets" came in so that will be the next project.

Enjoy the drive today, amigo...

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh damn don't get me going on the GAS TAX biggest SCAM in the American TAX history. I used to work in the Oil Industry and we already pay 50 cents a gallon for tax and the ELECTRIC car owners pay NOTHING on road taxes to drive their GREEN save the planet vehicle. We the ICE AGE owners are paying the infrastructure for the GREEN movement. And the trucks and suvs which are gas guzzlers don't pay a gas guzzler tax since they are exempt. Just incredible to say the least and a vehicle that is below 18mpg is automatically looked as a GAS Guzzler.
Agreed! I live in Taxachussetts, and we get spanked constantly with taxes, I don't need any more. Oh, you should see what my 2020 excise tax bill I got yesterday is..... Yes, self inflicted for buying a Raptor and a GT500 on the same day, and the wife a new vehicle the following week, but for crying out loud!
Sponsored