Sponsored

Should Ford make a true sports car , say modern T-Bird??

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As for the comment that Ford is a family mover, so was Toyota. I think they are realizing they need to be more than that to stay alive. Maybe ford should start thinking in that direction which is partly why I bring this up.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Business wise, I don't see a real sports car in the classic definition as an idea that would get enough sales.

If I had a suggestion for Ford, it would be to design and sell a world-class 4-door sedan. Something that really blends old-world style and luxury, with modern efficiency, tech and amenities.

Leather, carbon, alcantara, space and grace with a hybrid drive-train that really gets the MPGs.

They tried that with the Fusion, but the car was too old and dated. They really need to start working on design, both interior and exterior. They need to stop doing what every other company is doing design-wise, and really do something classy but different.

Most people buy cars based on design/styling, and other than the Mustang, that is where Ford is truly failing. They just don't have the right design ideas to attract new customers.

Last edited:

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
While Ford didn't make it, they were part of the Pantera back in the mid 70's. It had a 351cu. in. 4bbl. V8 and was sold by Lincoln dealers. It was more expensive than a Corvette, but not by much.

To answer the OP's question, Ford already makes the Mustang from the ecoboost to the GT500, and the GT500 will hang with the new C8 Corvette, and the Ford GT; I just don't see where it would be in their best interest to try and build something between the GT500 and the GT.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
While Ford didn't make it, they were part of the Pantera back in the mid 70's. It had a 351cu. in. 4bbl. V8 and was sold by Lincoln dealers. It was more expensive than a Corvette, but not by much.

To answer the OP's question, Ford already makes the Mustang from the ecoboost to the GT500, and the GT500 will hang with the new C8 Corvette, and the Ford GT; I just don't see where it would be in their best interest to try and build something between the GT500 and the GT.
See the link.

The Mustang is NOT a true sports car. Sporty, yes. But not a sports car by the classical definition.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/

The Pantera also would fall in the super car category. Amazing car none the less. I always have a special place in my heart for Italian cars. Of course, there is also a mechanic waiting for them too. Usually not a long wait.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Ford re-made the T-Bird less than 20 years ago. It didn't sell well at all. 4 years of production, 68k cars. Search 11th gen T-Bird.
I actually like ours. it isn't the quickest thing, but it is kinda peppy. the only real downside to it was the looks. it was a throwback in the same way that the PT cruiser and that roadster thing Plymouth made was (the Prowler). the curves were too constant and soft, looked like a melted bar of soap or something. If they had done it retro the way the 2005 mustang was, it would've probably done decent enough to keep going.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
See the link.

The Mustang is NOT a true sports car. Sporty, yes. But not a sports car by the classical definition.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/

The Pantera also would fall in the super car category. Amazing car none the less. I always have a special place in my heart for Italian cars. Of course, there is also a mechanic waiting for them too. Usually not a long wait.
Hey Fly2High, throttle your engine back. I didn't say the Mustang was a sports car. Even though we've had this discussion elsewhere. I'm trying to explain that Ford makes Mustangs that are competitive enough that they don't see a need to build a "sports car" when their sporty pony muscle car holds it's own against the only American made sports car; why build something else that does the same job for more money. Remember, a company is all about making money, and I'm pretty sure Ford has decided there is no profit in making a Corvette like "sports car" for the masses. They already make a "super car" that beats everybody else in that category.

Way back in ancient times, about the time I was born, Ford made the first American "sports car", and they named it "Thunderbird"; and sales were good. Chevy decided they had to have a "sports car" too, so they made the Corvette, and sales were even better. the two companies competed with each other for a few years making improvements to their "sports cars" to better their sales. Finally Ford decided to make their "sports car" more luxury oriented to improve sales, while Chevy decided to improve performance. Both ideas worked when it came to sales, but Ford's "sports car" died. Ford never had a "sports car" again. That is unless you count (and many do) the Ford GT.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This conversation would have to start with defining what a Sports Car is.

AFAIK, the true definition would be the Miata. 2 seater, convertible, small, light.

Others will have different definitions.
^^^^^ I agree.

A seasoned Mustang Enthusiast knows that the Mustang WAS a “sports car” as originally designed in prototype form in 1961/62. It was a true genuine 2-seater sports car, not a 4-seater “Falcon based” vehicle.

See and read:
upload_2020-2-14_9-26-13.jpeg

upload_2020-2-14_9-26-40.jpeg

upload_2020-2-14_9-27-10.jpeg

upload_2020-2-14_9-27-34.jpeg

upload_2020-2-14_9-28-4.jpeg

The problem with Ford today is it’s Leadership. Hack-it and Farley need to go, they haven’t the slightest clue as to what the Mustang is, what it means and how to genuinely carry its iconic legend forward without destroying it.

Bill Ford may be a “legend” only based on his last name alone - but IMO, he really needs to stop letting Hack-it run the Company and look back on what made Ford what it is today and how to keep that alive going forward. It’s not all about friggin redundant 4-door oval or rectangular shaped SUV/CUV/xUV or the FSeries....

Keeping the Mustang as the Heritage Pony car is great, but the overall vehicle product line is stale and stagnant.

Ford does need to introduce another true sports car to their product line, more so when the Competitors are gaining ground with their current and introductory sports car segments.
Sponsored