54,000 Mile Oil Analysis - Increased Lead

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Through all this, have you taken the UOA to your dealer and given them your concerns? Its quite possible they can check it and see it needs warranty work. Some dealers would most likely to tell you to piss off, others may take care of you.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Through all this, have you taken the UOA to your dealer and given them your concerns? Its quite possible they can check it and see it needs warranty work. Some dealers would most likely to tell you to piss off, others may take care of you.
I havent no. This is a pretty new development. Oil results came yesterday and the hesitation on 3rd gear literally happened 2 hours after the email.
I am trying to schedule a service appointment and will bring this up.

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Bro you own a gt350... This day was going to come eventually. Its part of the game and what you sign up for when you buy a racecar with street paint.

So stop worrying save up,3k buy a used 350z for the time being and take the the 350 down and fix it. Or pick up a minivan/pickup off craigslist or Facebook. 2-3k can get u something decent, it's just to get you through the rebuild.

60k miles is a really good run for a 535hp all motor, performance vehicle. Back in the 90s good luck dailying something like that... You'd get a month at best.

You got this bro, its gonna be ok.
What...even? Huh?

Where in the world do you get the idea that 60k miles on an "all motor, performance vehicle" is a really good run? That statement doesn't even make sense and has no merit. 526 hp by the way.

OP, you're good. Don't sweat it. Monitor it, but I'm sure all will turn out okay. I know it's hard not to worry though.

If it's peace of mind, check out getting a Ford ESP from Zeigler Ford. They're hands down the cheapest, and you can PM me for a $300 off code. I just bought the 7 yr/100k Premium Care for my '18 GT350. Extended my CPO warranty out that much further.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
What...even? Huh?

Where in the world do you get the idea that 60k miles on an "all motor, performance vehicle" is a really good run? That statement doesn't even make sense and has no merit. 526 hp by the way.

OP, you're good. Don't sweat it. Monitor it, but I'm sure all will turn out okay. I know it's hard not to worry though.

If it's peace of mind, check out getting a Ford ESP from Zeigler Ford. They're hands down the cheapest, and you can PM me for a $300 off code. I just bought the 7 yr/100k Premium Care for my '18 GT350. Extended my CPO warranty out that much further.
Let's stop living in denial here we know the voodoos have a rep... How many have we seen blow up under 10k miles...

Just statistically speaking getting to 60k is impressive. 100k will be astonishing. Does that take away from the car no.

If you look at it in the context of similar classed vehicles like a E60 M5, E90 M3, to make the power it makes, rev as high as it does from a one off flat plane motor where ford didnt have decades of vibration data to build on. It is extremely impressive. The fact that it eats those 2 cars for lunch reliabilty wise further cements how good a car it is, in its class.

A gt350 isnt like a GT. remember the coyote motor is esentially the logical evolution of the old 4.6 motors, Ford also has been testing it in other platforms like the f150 etc, so just based on raw numbers they are able to really fine tune and iron out issues with it.

The voodoo was only built for the gt350... And its essentially the halo car for the engineering teams

You shouldn't be buying a GT350 with the expectation that it will run like a honda civic and get you 300k miles on the original motor.

For the class of car and what it represents for Ford you should expect higher maintenance. And if you understand the engineering challenge ford was up against you get why the car is indeed special.

Even cars with reputations for reliabilty in the context of similar supercars like a porsche 911 have reliabilty issues when compared to cars of less performance engineered specifically for reliabilty like a Toyota Camry.

The point I'm making is understand what you own and what cimes with owning it... You shouldnt be worrying about reliability with a gt350. You should be enjoying every second of the experience. And when it breaks you should have the financial ability or know how or tools to pick up a wrench and fix it.

If All thats too much for you theres no shame in walking away.

Last edited:

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
And credit where its due The Voodoo for ford represents them pushing the envelope unlike the LS, where GM has been building basically the same engine for the past what almost 30 year's...

Reliability and longevity doesnt just happen it comes from evolution.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I’d look into an extended warranty.

in the meantime, put as many hard miles on it as you can, go back to your original gas station. Rack up 3K miles as soon as you can and change the oil again.
Crack open the oil filter and look inside. I think you said the only thing you changed was the station where you buy your gas.
I’d start there first.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Let's stop living in denial here we know the voodoos have a rep... How many have we seen blow up under 10k miles...

Just statistically speaking getting to 60k is impressive. 100k will be astonishing. Does that take away from the car no.

If you look at it in the context of similar classed vehicles like a E60 M5, E90 M3, to make the power it makes, rev as high as it does from a one off flat plane motor where ford didnt have decades of vibration data to build on. It is extremely impressive. The fact that it eats those 2 cars for lunch reliabilty wise further cements how good a car it is, in its class.

A gt350 isnt like a GT. remember the coyote motor is esentially the logical evolution of the old 4.6 motors, Ford also has been testing it in other platforms like the f150 etc, so just based on raw numbers they are able to really fine tune and iron out issues with it.

The voodoo was only built for the gt350... And its essentially the halo car for the engineering teams

You shouldn't be buying a GT350 with the expectation that it will run like a honda civic and get you 300k miles on the original motor.

For the class of car and what it represents for Ford you should expect higher maintenance. And if you understand the engineering challenge ford was up against you get why the car is indeed special.

Even cars with reputations for reliabilty in the context of similar supercars like a porsche 911 have reliabilty issues when compared to cars of less performance engineered specifically for reliabilty like a Toyota Camry.

The point I'm making is understand what you own and what cimes with owning it... You shouldnt be worrying about reliability with a gt350. You should be enjoying every second of the experience. And when it breaks you should have the financial ability or know how or tools to pick up a wrench and fix it.

If All thats too much for you theres no shame in walking away.
You make some good points. I am not worried in a sense that I have unrealistic expectations or in a sense I am whining.

I am worried in a sense that this car has such a special place in my family that we consider it part of us. I would feel less attached to my house than this car. I own a $140,000 755 hp fairly rare stick shift ZR1 and I wouldnt get emotional like this over that car. I wouldnt care if this happened to my GT3 either.

I always pictured my daughter driving around with her family in this car long after I’m gone. I dont want this car to die on me entirely due to emotional reasons not financial.

The only reason I am not opening the car and rebuild is because I am a firm believer of not messing with things unless you must or you risk of fucking something else up. But if I have to rebuild the engine I will.

I am also looking at R and the thought does cross my mind. I have the financial means to go and buy one on top of this GT350 without needing loans (grateful that I can do this) but I am worried while it is a better car, it will never have the memories this car does (although maybe we will make newer better memories).

Human emotion is too complicated:(

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
You make some good points. I am not worried in a sense that I have unrealistic expectations or in a sense I am whining.

I am worried in a sense that this car has such a special place in my family that we consider it part of us. I would feel less attached to my house than this car. I own a $140,000 755 hp fairly rare stick shift ZR1 and I wouldnt get emotional like this over that car. I wouldnt care if this happened to my GT3 either.

I always pictured my daughter driving around with her family in this car long after I’m gone. I dont want this car to die on me entirely due to emotional reasons not financial.

The only reason I am not opening the car and rebuild is because I am a firm believer of not messing with things unless you must or you risk of fucking something else up. But if I have to rebuild the engine I will.

I am also looking at R and the thought does cross my mind. I have the financial means to go and buy one on top of this GT350 without needing loans (grateful that I can do this) but I am worried while it is a better car, it will never have the memories this car does (although maybe we will make newer better memories).

Human emotion is too complicated:(
I just read this entire thread. You said the GT350 was your only car, for the entire family. What gives now with other expensive toys and wealth?

You obviously have the means to fix the current GT350 or buy 2-3 more for the hell of it. Why the stress over fixing the current when the cost would be a drop in the bucket for high roller like yourself?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I just read this entire thread. You said the GT350 was your only car, for the entire family. What gives now with other expensive toys and wealth?

You obviously have the means to fix the current GT350 or buy 2-3 more for the hell of it. Why the stress over fixing the current when the cost would be a drop in the bucket for high roller like yourself?
Hah! I've known a lot of folks with more-than-adequate financial resources, and the thing that stands out for all of them is that they don't spend money they don't need to spend. They're the opposite of compulsive consumers.

I think the OP summarized it nicely - he and his family love the car, and if it breaks, he'll fix it. Probably should stop doing oil analysis though - it seems to be creating stress where it's not helpful.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Hah! I've known a lot of folks with more-than-adequate financial resources, and the thing that stands out for all of them is that they don't spend money they don't need to spend. They're the opposite of compulsive consumers.
So true.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

I think the OP summarized it nicely - he and his family love the car, and if it breaks, he'll fix it. Probably should stop doing oil analysis though - it seems to be creating stress where it's not helpful.
This is very accurate. I am not much of a consumerist who spends unnecessarily. I dont want to derail this thread but I would rather fix what is broken than to keep getting the latest toy.

I got the ZR1 because it is a completely different car. Smaller, lighter, very different experience overall due to different power band. Not all sports cars are alike. GT350 is not my toy car, it is a car I or my wife drive every day. It carries groceries or IKEA furniture or its our car that we take a 2,000 mile road trip. I could not do any of those things with ZR1 or GT3.

Anyways, back to topic on this. I appreciate everyone’s input and support. I will do another oil change in 2500 miles and go from there. I changed where I get gas back to the other gas station as well. Furthermore, I will change spark plugs and fuel filter this weekend.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293

I get what you're saying but that only aligns with practical purchasing. He owns a ZR1 and a GT3, those aren't purchases made by someone that doesn't spend money they don't need to spend. My point is the OP for 3 pages of this thread made it out that the GT350 was the only car for the entire family and left me with the impression he was on a budget and couldn't just afford to dump money in it. When all along, money isn't an issue. If the emotional attachment to the car is so great and money isn't an issue, what's the big deal here?

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not sure of the previous type, but 2019+ motors use copper-lead main bearings.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If I were in your situation, I would run a compression test when you take out the plugs. If there is an issue with the disappearing coolant, then you should see a drop in compression between either a single cylinder, or a pair of cylinders. If you have coolant getting into the combustion chamber, then you are going to get impure combustion. Besides, you are going to be yanking plugs anyway. I don't think that compression tests will reveal the beginnings of bearing wear, because the bearing probably won't be worn enough to create a "loose" piston.

But, nevertheless, you could check them (Again, since you have the plugs out) by waiting until the piston is on the down stroke, then inserting a ling screwdriver through the spark plug hole and pushing down on the top of the piston. If you feel the piston move down or head a thunk, then you confirmed bearing wear.

You could also get yourself a borescope and run that down the cylinders while you got the plugs out. Although you won't see bearings, you can still look at the cylinders, top of the piston, and bottom of the valves. I'm really only suggesting that because you have the plugs out.

Then, I'd just drive it. It seems like you have the funds to rebuild if it goes boom, so worst case, the engine fails spectacularly and you are out a new longblock. I would expect other metals to be increased in similar if not more than the lead since the lead is either in suspension (alloy) or sandwiched (tri-metal). Wearing the lead exclusively would be very rare if it were caused by a bearing in my opinion. Once you get miles on the oil, send it in for analysis again. If it is bearing wear, it will get worse and you will get a rod knock. If you beat on it all the time, then it could be catastrophic failure, but if you DD it, more than likely it will survive and you will end up hearing the rod knock.

Yes, the rod knock will probably trash the rods and maybe the crank as well (Depending on how bad) but even then, they can be replaced.

You could get an extended warranty if you are concerned about it blowing, but I think until you have another "Wow this is way higher than normal" you could quite easily have just another outlier.
Sponsored