54,000 Mile Oil Analysis - Increased Lead

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I mean if ur really worried you have a few options.
1. Extend your warranty and send it.
2. Drop the oil pan pull off your rod bearing caps and inspect the bearing. Start with the cylinder closest to the firewall if any is going to fail it's gonna be one of the ones at the back. You don't have to take off all of them just the last 2 on both banks should give you a good feel for whats happening...

3. Listen for rod knock, if the engines clean you're good. Add ceratec for the time being.

4. Plan to pull the motor and rebuild it. Start buying up the components then set a cut off date, then just pull it, sleeve it, rods, headstuds, whipple it then send it.

Bro ive learned over the years if it's something keeping you up at night just handle it.

No point in worrying. Or denying whats happening. The cars giving you a warning that somethings coming make a plan then make an executive decision and fix it preemptively. If it turns out the motor was fine all along now you have a built motor so u can really flog it.

In a fight against a bully its always best to throw the first punch you might win, you might lose but at least you get the ball rolling...
this is my only car. And by my car i mean our family. It is used to drive my kid around everyday. All those things you are saying are not practicle or I would not hesitate:(
Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
this is my only car. And by my car i mean our family. It is used to drive my kid around everyday. All those things you are saying are not practicle or I would not hesitate:(
Bro you own a gt350... This day was going to come eventually. Its part of the game and what you sign up for when you buy a racecar with street paint.

So stop worrying save up,3k buy a used 350z for the time being and take the the 350 down and fix it. Or pick up a minivan/pickup off craigslist or Facebook. 2-3k can get u something decent, it's just to get you through the rebuild.

60k miles is a really good run for a 535hp all motor, performance vehicle. Back in the 90s good luck dailying something like that... You'd get a month at best.

You got this bro, its gonna be ok.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Like I said too just getting an extended warranty. its like what 1500.00 for another 3 years or so? Considering a new voodoo is like 15k to me thats a no brainer...

Extend the warranty and send that shit. You got a 3 year window to Let it blow and let ford give you a new motor.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I see you have a 2017, and depending on when you purchased it, you probably have between 18 and 24 months of drivetrain warranty left. Just drive the hell out of it and drive it hard during that time. If the engine fails you’ll get a new one.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
you're freaking out over most likely nothing. The incidents you described aren't related. There shouldn't be enough lead content in these engines to make a difference or indicate anything other than oil contaminates... for all we know your sample was contaminated or you've had some additives or fuel with lead in it. I'd change the oil/filter, put some new plugs in it since you have some higher mileage and enjoy your car. do another Sample in 2500 miles. Sounds like you treat her well and she's treating you well. Godspeed.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
you're freaking out over most likely nothing. The incidents you described aren't related. There shouldn't be enough lead content in these engines to make a difference or indicate anything other than oil contaminates... for all we know your sample was contaminated or you've had some additives or fuel with lead in it. I'd change the oil/filter, put some new plugs in it since you have some higher mileage and enjoy your car. do another Sample in 2500 miles. Sounds like you treat her well and she's treating you well. Godspeed.
This was kind of my reaction too. Lead in a single reading could be anything - I had a bad report on one of my other cars a few years back and it turns out it was because the lab mixed up the samples and the report wasn't actually mine. Or it could be a bit of grit that got through the air filter and streaked a bearing somewhere and the lead level will gradually drop back to normal over the next few changes.

As for the electrical problems and the backfire, that needs to go to the dealer and get fixed. It's unlikely to be related to the lead spike.

The extended warranty might not be a bad idea either.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
This was kind of my reaction too. Lead in a single reading could be anything - I had a bad report on one of my other cars a few years back and it turns out it was because the lab mixed up the samples and the report wasn't actually mine. Or it could be a bit of grit that got through the air filter and streaked a bearing somewhere and the lead level will gradually drop back to normal over the next few changes.

As for the electrical problems and the backfire, that needs to go to the dealer and get fixed. It's unlikely to be related to the lead spike.

The extended warranty might not be a bad idea either.
I agree here. I have just over 7400 miles on mine, and have done 3 oil analysis. All 3 years are similar mileage and track use. Lead was 2 the first time, last year was 8..this year back to 2. the ONLY thing I did different was purchase gas at the racetrack last year....I've read in multiple places that even if you purchase unleaded fuel at the track, there can be some residual lead in the dispensing and tank systems and this could alter the oil analysis results.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
How do I get the extended warranty?

Also the lead in the last sample before this had gone up to 5ppm (thats 9,000 miles ago) and now to 23ppm. My point is, it hasnt just suddenly showed up but rather gradually increased.

Extended warranty is a must, I just dont know how it works as far as getting it. My warranty is up in 6,000 miles.

I already bought all the parts/tools for spark plugs and will do that this weekend. In addition, I will change the fuel filter. I got:

- Motorcraft SP548 plugs
- Motorcraft FG-1083 fuel filter
- Various sockets with/without swivels with various lengths. Thin/normal wall and magnetic ones as well as a specially shaped ratcheting wrench to reach passenger side back plug
- Dieletic grease and anti sieze
- Various plug gapping tools

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I agree here. I have just over 7400 miles on mine, and have done 3 oil analysis. All 3 years are similar mileage and track use. Lead was 2 the first time, last year was 8..this year back to 2. the ONLY thing I did different was purchase gas at the racetrack last year....I've read in multiple places that even if you purchase unleaded fuel at the track, there can be some residual lead in the dispensing and tank systems and this could alter the oil analysis results.
Yea my lead is going to be higher because of the VP Madditive I run is leaded.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Yea my lead is going to be higher because of the VP Madditive I run is leaded.
I got mine at flood ford. At this point you could only get the power train warranty (im not 100% about that)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Also, should I change the coils or leave them alone? When are they usually changed?
I think you're fine. I'm still on my original coils and have zero indication they need to be replaced.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I went to flood ford esp and it says I cant get warranty because I am over 41,000 miles and I need used car pricing from local dealer:(

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I went to flood ford esp and it says I cant get warranty because I am over 41,000 miles and I need used car pricing from local dealer:(
Oof that would be expensive.

Honestly, if I read it right, I would go back to your old exxon and see what the next oil change analysis says.

I'd hate for you to start to worry about an engine when it wasn't anything to worry about in the first place.
Sponsored