Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Although it's no longer a race where people compete directly against one another, I read recently the time record was broken. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...27-hours-25-minutes/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

They used a 2015 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG sedan. Being a Mustang guy, I'd say our cars could also make a great Cannonballer. Just add a much, much larger fuel tank, and hit the road.

I'd think a PP1 car, probably an A10 to have more gears (although an MT82 would work fine too), and a few power adders (whipple??), and you'd have a very comfortable place to be for 2 people from NYC to Cali. These really are great freeway cars.

The issue would be the low top speed of Mustangs.
Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Although it's no longer a race where people compete directly against one another, I read recently the time record was broken. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...27-hours-25-minutes/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

They used a 2015 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG sedan. Being a Mustang guy, I'd say our cars could also make a great Cannonballer. Just add a much, much larger fuel tank, and hit the road.

I'd think a PP1 car, probably an A10 to have more gears (although an MT82 would work fine too), and a few power adders (whipple??), and you'd have a very comfortable place to be for 2 people from NYC to Cali. These really are great freeway cars.

I'd rather not talk about scofflaws who endanger the populace. Although it must be fun.
patchesCannonballCrop.jpg
patchesCannonball.jpg

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
You don't need a supercharger to drive at speed. I don't think an add on supercharger would be a good idea for 30hr continuous operation.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

They had 700WHP, which is the easy part to achieve.They also had many panels replaced with painted CF panels to not sick out and drop weight. Anderson I think makes the most panels, but are pricey. Probably want something like a 3.31 rear gear to keep RPM low as possible on the HW to save fuel also. Obviously suspension that is save to e driving at near 200MPH. Some aero mods. I read the BULLITT front end is more aero dynamic, not sure if the Steeda or Roush or other fronts where aero tested.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
You don't need a supercharger to drive at speed. I don't think an add on supercharger would be a good idea for 30hr continuous operation.
Talkin' about the Cannonball run buddy. You'd need more top speed, so more power.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Seriously one of my fantasies is to Cannonball. Takes hella planning/resources/dumb luck. It's a sport for trust fund kids, not working stiffs.
Yep. Big $$ for sure.

Grandad11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Convertible
My favorite quote in the article is this:

"In America, we have allowed ourselves to believe that we cannot be good drivers," Roy said. "But in Germany, people hit speeds faster than Arne's average Cannonball speed just driving home from work on the Autobahn."

Everyone should spend some time in Germany to enjoy the pleasure of good roads and sensible laws (at least for drivers.)

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
My favorite quote in the article is this:

"In America, we have allowed ourselves to believe that we cannot be good drivers," Roy said. "But in Germany, people hit speeds faster than Arne's average Cannonball speed just driving home from work on the Autobahn."

Everyone should spend some time in Germany to enjoy the pleasure of good roads and sensible laws (at least for drivers.)
You can also easily traverse Germany in 25 hours without breaking any traffic laws.

EvilleGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a big fan of the Cannonball and just got my sign in the mail today. Signed by Ed Bolian and his team (previous record holders) and Arne Toman and his team (new record holders).

The Autobahn isn't all it's cracked up to be. Lots of construction and bumper to bumper especially around cities. They keep adding speed cameras all over the place that cause people to panic when they see them and slam on their brakes, regardless of whether they are speeding or not. That just sets off a chain reaction that causes traffic to back up for miles. The best part about Germany is they are really really good about not hanging out in the left lane.
100.jpg

Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
How great would it be for a mustang to have that record. Personally I think it should and if we all pitched in it could happen.

Our cars are made for driving across the country and with some mods that record could be smashed. Take the spare tire out and modify the trunk for a larger fuel tank. Take weight out of the car to make up for the extra fuel and the already heavy weight of the car. Do aero work most importantly panels underneath to reduce lift at high speed maybe some sort of wing. Of course super soon work too. Then add a supercharger to overcome drag and get a 2.xx gear for better top speed and that’s all the car really needs.

And because it’s a mustang and probably one of the cars with the largest support groups we could even shut down roads have people watching for cops etc.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
What I really want to see is someone make the run with out the technology. Just an old school run, well of course a GPS and radar detector maybe. No extra fuel cells, no laser jammer, weather radar, just pure simple car and man driving across country as fast as humanly possible. That's a record I will respect more. I mean yes the times that Ed Bolian and Ame Toman achieved is impressive. When I heard how they do it I was thinking that's a lot of help and support. I have seriously considered trying to do a live feed run across country as fast as possible with just a GPS and a Radar Detector. Most of the time when I am on the interstate around here I set my cruise between 100 and 105 and sustain that speed for the better part of a 50 mile drive.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I just posted. I'm going to attempt to break the record. See post. I just made.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What I really want to see is someone make the run with out the technology. Just an old school run, well of course a GPS and radar detector maybe. No extra fuel cells, no laser jammer, weather radar, just pure simple car and man driving across country as fast as humanly possible. That's a record I will respect more. I mean yes the times that Ed Bolian and Ame Toman achieved is impressive. When I heard how they do it I was thinking that's a lot of help and support. I have seriously considered trying to do a live feed run across country as fast as possible with just a GPS and a Radar Detector. Most of the time when I am on the interstate around here I set my cruise between 100 and 105 and sustain that speed for the better part of a 50 mile drive.
While I love the idea, I would highly suggest against you attempting what you're suggesting.

In this day & age, you must have all the electronic gadgets, like those guys had, if for no other reason than safety, yours and other's. They probably spent hundreds of thousands of dollars doing that, it's truly a thing for the trust-fund babies.
Sponsored