Sponsored

C7 Grand Sport or GT350

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Read the older threads on this topic but thought it might be worth bringing up again since the GT500 and C8 are being released.

I'm in the market to trade up my 17 GT PP to either a GT350 or C7 Grand Sport. Either would be purchased used at approximately the same price. Thoughts?
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Have you driven them both? Do you track a lot?

Coming from a C7 Z51 w/Magnetic ride which is very similar to a GS I would highlight the following:
- GT350 engine sound is better. Even with an Xpipe on my C7, there is nothing like the Vodoo motor sound.
- Higher rev range on the GT350. GT350 above 5Krpm+ is like Vtech kicking in :)
- More torque down low on the GS
- GS is lower to the ground and harder to get in and out of. Cabin is feels much more confined in the GS to me and if you are taller you may have issues even seeing the lights at a redlight. I am 5'11" but have a long torso and often had to tilt my head sideways to see lights ahead of me when stopped at lights.
- Obviously personal preference, but the C7 looks more like a pure sports car and special to me. I love the looks of the GT350, but it blends in with the other million Mustang's on the road.
- I would say interior fit and finish and materials are a wash. I prefer Sync3 to the GM head unit, but they are pretty close.
- GT350 has a backseat that folds down for storage, and if you have little kids or are in a pinch with smaller adults you at least have a backseat option
- Insurance was a wash for me. Both about the same.
- MPG are a wash. I average 15-18mpg for both cars :)
- Targa top for C7 is a plus. I used it a lot in the summer.
- GT350 is a more comfortable car as a daily driver. Suspension is more forgiving in various settings, and is more roomy inside and comfortable. It's more of a GT car for sure and quieter inside.
- The GT350 6 speed Tremec manual is better than the C7 Tremec 7speed manual. GT350 is more engaging, easier to shift, and the GS really does not need 7 gears. I found the throws not as precise as the GT350 and it took the GS manual more time to "warm up", it can be very clunky and mechanical feeling from a cold start.

Drive them both for sure, they are more different than alike.

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
The sounds of the VooDoo was enough to push me into a GT350 over a GS vette. I liked the looks of the wider GS, but I also like the looks of the GT350 so I felt it was a wash. This was my first Mustang and I owned two older vettes and a Viper, so I really wanted to try something different.

I just had the Corsa Double Helix installed and the sound got even better! :sunglasses:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Definitely try a C7 on to see if it's a fit for you.

A while back I had major GS wood and even went so far as working out a nice deal on one (special order). Then I drove a Z51 coupe, and could tell it might not be for me. I'm 6'-1", tall in the torso, and built like a linebacker, and everything thill444 says is accurate.

I really wanted one, but I'm not sure how it would have worked long term. However, it might have been OK as a weekend driver....here I am thinking about it again. I still love the look of the C7, and I've never been a "Corvette guy".

OP
OP
Rocketman

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Thanks for the responses guys. Some more details, I'm not tall at 5'8 so I fit into both cars quite easily. I will be doing a handful of track days a year.

My thing is that if going with the GT350, I would basically be trading up the engine, tranny, and suspension. I understand that the GT350 is more than the sum of it's parts, so just wanted to make sure it would be worth the almost double cost vs. going with a different platform.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Thanks for the responses guys. Some more details, I'm not tall at 5'8 so I fit into both cars quite easily. I will be doing a handful of track days a year.

My thing is that if going with the GT350, I would basically be trading up the engine, tranny, and suspension. I understand that the GT350 is more than the sum of it's parts, so just wanted to make sure it would be worth the almost double cost vs. going with a different platform.
If you fit in the GS (sounds like no issues) and you like the way the car drives/handles I am inclined to tell you to try something different/new. I am not really a brand loyal type guy and like to try different platforms. I think the C7 styling is still killer and in many ways prefer it to the C8.

For me the GT350 is a much better daily driver and much more livable. But I have a young family and terrible roads. You do need to watch out for the GS wheels cracking/bending there have been tons of issues with that for both the GS and Z06 and GM will not cover it. Many guys are adding aftermarket forged wheels because they keep cracking/bending them and it gets expensive fast.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you like to mod, I suggest the GS. With some modifications, a GS will spank a GT350 on the road course.

Stock for stock, you'll have more fun in the GT350 on the road course IMHO.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I can fit 4 OEM wheels with Hoosier R7's in my GT350 on track weekends, along with a cooler, all necessary tools, a folding chair, etc. I'd need a trailer if I had a C7 (or else I'd need to run street tires).

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Do not underestimate a C7 GS especially a Z07 Pack GS. That's very expensive but if one is set on one, it ain't exactly garbage...

It is considerably more car than a Z51 particularly in the brakes department. Even the "base" GS steel brakes are quite something.

adherrera722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adison
Vehicle(s)
17' Shelby GT350
Just drove my old mans C7 GS over the weekend for the first time. C7 fit and finish is defiantly superior to the 350 but from a pure driving standpoint I personally prefer the 350. Maybe if his C7 had an exhaust and a stick I would change my mind but to Honeybadgers point, if you are comparing stock vs stock I say 350 hands down.

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I think the only way a GS would come close to sound of a 350 is if the LT1 was cammed and full exhaust. That for me would surpass a 350. Love the sound of a cammed car.
If weekend driving only, it would be a hard choice, but with prices of z06 plummeting, Id get the z06 instead.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I have an 2018 350R and 2015 Z51 M7 in my garage. The Z51 M7 is my wife's car. I chose an R... @thill444 pretty much sums up the trans which was one of the MAJOR factors in my decision. Plus there's a vette on every block and none of them sound half as good. Handling, the R is hands down better than the Z51 as well but the Z51 does well. I'm just very spoiled with the R handling ability. Full disclosure, I have never driven a GS tho. A little better low end TQ on the Z51 but all that's forgotten when the R runs past 4k RPM. I'd describe the Z51 as spunky and it has nice squirts of power when you down shift and pedal it down but underpowered for sure compared to my R doing the same. Way more visceral experience driving the R.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I chose the GT350 over the C7 because I can’t get behind the styling and the interior is too cramped for me. Not fat, just tall and built.

cdh027

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2018 z06
Having both a GT350 and a Z06/Z07 M7, they are both great cars. The GT350 is fun to drive, the Z is really fun to drive. I forget how slow the 350 is until I get in the Z.
Sponsored