Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The guy selling advertising on this board is all giddy from threads like this. Massive increase in page impressions.
Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Plenty of guys on the Mach E forum saying the shelby version will be faster and corner better than a shelby. They’re also hoping the fake sound their car makes is that of the gt350.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I am losing faith in Ford. Am looking forward to the Bronco but am now doing research on the Jeep Rubicon.
Be prepared for more disappointment.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ford has already received about 14,000 reservations for the Mach-E so far:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4308040-ford-gets-14000-reservations-mustang-mach-e-electric-suv

Ford knew what it was doing naming the car the ‘Mustang Mach E’. That seems like a lot of deposits in a very short time (even if they're refundable, and some if not many of them are probably from speculators hoping to flip their spot for a profit to people who just gotta have it first). Even though many old-school gearheads like me (and it seems many people here) were aghast at their using the venerable Mustang name for a very non-Mustang like car, Ford successfully achieved much greater awareness - and, apparently, buying interest - for the thing than it otherwise would have had it been named anything else. The old maxim is true, all publicity is good publicity. It was good business for them to sell out the Mustang name for the sake of potential future Mach-E sales, so they did exactly that. To any company, profit will always win out over anything else.

I personally am disgusted to see the Mustang name used on an electric SUV, and I also personally am extremely unlikely to ever buy an electric car. But I realize I'm a dinosaur. I represent Ford’s past customer, not the future. As much as I absolutely hate it, I know the future ultimately belongs to vehicles like the Mach-E, not the fuel-wasting, gas-burning, tire-smoking, manual transmission relics of the past that I grew up with and love. Maybe Ford can show Tesla and that smug Musk how it’s done (though I’m now really going to hang on to my Mustang forever, it’s the last of its kind).

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
OK, 1138 posts regarding a vehicle that we don’t like, with a touchscreen and power plant no one wants and a name we hate.

Any chance we can kill this thread and just go back to talking about our “S550” Mustang’s?
Better that what's on our minds about this all stay in this one big thread instead of being spread out over who-knows-how-many little ones. One line on the list of topics page instead of taking up a third of the page.

Norm

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Seems like we are very close to the tipping point. Similar to 1970 where new cars are going to be crappier than the older versions they replace.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You both beat me to it, lol.

It's going to take a very long time for me to warm to this car. Everything those enthusiasts described about their Mustangs was spot on. One word stood out in particular.......indulgence. A Mustang is an indulgence. Its not a car you need.........its a car you want. And a much as I want to feel better towards Mach E.....none of those descriptions are suitable for it.

Even Dave Pericak, who is my Mustang hero, still didn't seem convinced. "A new pony to the stable".....rather than a new Mustang.

:brokenheart:

Sponsored

fordmustangnerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You both beat me to it, lol.

It's going to take a very long time for me to warm to this car. Everything those enthusiasts described about their Mustangs was spot on. One word stood out in particular.......indulgence. A Mustang is an indulgence. Its not a car you need.........its a car you want. And a much as I want to feel better towards Mach E.....none of those descriptions are suitable for it.

Even Dave Pericak, who is my Mustang hero, still didn't seem convinced. "A new pony to the stable".....rather than a new Mustang.

:brokenheart:
He called it a new pony to the stable because it's true. That's all it is. It's not a replacement, it's a new type of pony. We have had the same pony in the stable for 55 years and eventually... without introducing a "Female" pony... The pony would die... As hard as it is to admit, this is what the Mustang needs to survive in the future as the 2 door coupe that we all love.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This SUV needs to succeed in a way something with any other badge from Ford simply won't.
If it's good enough to succeed to that extent, it won't need the Mustang name. Having the Mustang name won't save it if it isn't that good.

You're making it sound like Mach is replacing Mustang.
We can assume that there will be a pretty strong advertising campaign for the Mach e, and that Ford won't be shy about tying the Mustang name to it. How much advertising does Ford put into their ponycar now? Do you really think that Ford would allow their message of "Mustang as this Mach E" to be softened/weakened by putting up a strong pitch for the Mustang as a traditional ponycar at the same time? Over time, what do you expect that to do to public perception of what kind of vehicle the Mustang name stands for?

Ford does not want to make cars any more. Only trucks and SUVs.

Ford wants to be seen as a "mobility company" . . . pretty much the antithesis of what a ponycar stands for. Fun and pride in ownership vs transportation appliances on a time-share basis.

My concern is, should public association of the name Mustang ever shift over to SUVs/CUVs, there might not be much reason for Ford to continue building the ponycar. Pitted against all those other reasons for letting it die off.

Norm

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Be prepared for more disappointment.
Not to derail this thread, but since we’re on the topic of Ford future vehicles...
What you know about the Bronco that makes you feel it may be underwhelming?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Not to derail this thread, but since we’re on the topic of Ford future vehicles...
What you know about the Bronco that makes you feel it may be underwhelming?
I'm curious as well. Everything I have seen and everyone I've spoken to from Ford has raved about it.

Is this a "gotta have a V8" type thing?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
He called it a new pony to the stable because it's true. That's all it is. It's not a replacement, it's a new type of pony. We have had the same pony in the stable for 55 years and eventually... without introducing a "Female" pony... The pony would die... As hard as it is to admit, this is what the Mustang needs to survive in the future as the 2 door coupe that we all love.
Except that argument goes out the window when you consider the fact they are only going to be able to make about 50k of these in its first year. They have publicly stated they can only make 50k due to battery supply issues and have no idea if and when they can increase production. So to sum it up, they have a "mass market" SUV that they will not be able to make enough of to beat classic mustang sales (75k for 2018). So why did this thing have to be an SUV? Why could it not have been a classic 2 door coupe? Ford would have had the ONLY "affordable" EV sports car (model 3 performance I am not counting) and still probably would have achieved the same amount of units sold. They should have held the SUV off until their supply issues were sorted out (just like Tesla with the Model Y) and called it something else... (Bronco comes to mind)
Sponsored