Sponsored

Probably dumb question about Shaker Pro ...

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
So I have an '18 with the Shaker Pro. Previously had a '06 with upgraded Kicker speakers and JVC head unit, nothing more.

With the '18 Shaker Pro, I notice that highs (cymbals, high hat, etc) are kinda lifeless and dull, whereas in the 06 they were crisp and clear. However, when I lean forward in the '18, the highs actually sound much much better. I notice in the 06 that the door speakers are closer to the driver, so that my ears are closer to being directly between the speakers. In the 18, the speakers are farther forward, and that seems to significantly reduce the clarity and quality of the highs.

Will upgraded tweeters/3.5 door mids help this at all? Has anyone else noticed this? Overall I think the Shaker Pro sounds decent for my needs, but I'd like crisper highs and mids. I'm reluctant to upgrade the speakers if it's more of a positioning issue.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Rash,

How long have you had your GT for? I have the Shaker Pro in my 18 as well and it took a month of use (about 2000 miles of driving time) for them to sound good (break-in for speakers?? not sure). Another thing you can do is to go into the audio settings and change the sound stage from driver focused to all passengers. I know this is weird but for me the sound was better when set to for all passengers as it sounded full and coming from all directions.

P.S. The treble is set to max, mids are about 75% and bass about 50%

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rash,

How long have you had your GT for? I have the Shaker Pro in my 18 as well and it took a month of use (about 2000 miles of driving time) for them to sound good (break-in for speakers?? not sure). Another thing you can do is to go into the audio settings and change the sound stage from driver focused to all passengers. I know this is weird but for me the sound was better when set to for all passengers as it sounded full and coming from all directions.

P.S. The treble is set to max, mids are about 75% and bass about 50%
Had it for about 2 months now, 1300 miles. I actually switched it to driver because I thought all passengers sounded muddier. I have treble at max or notch or two below depending on song. Mids around 40%, bass around 40%.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Had it for about 2 months now, 1300 miles. I actually switched it to driver because I thought all passengers sounded muddier. I have treble at max or notch or two below depending on song. Mids around 40%, bass around 40%.
Got it. Since you have tried playing with the settings and are still not happy, the first thing I would change is the center speaker on the dash. I have read many threads in the Infotainment section and folks have experienced good results by changing their center dash speaker to a quality piece. Once you do that and experience the results, the next step would be to change the tweeters in the A- pillar and the stock door speakers. My gut feeling says the center dash speaker replacement will get rid of most issues you mentioned. Best of luck :thumbsup:

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I swapped out the 3.5" door & center speakers for Polk DB351's. The bracket that holds the door speaker needs to be modified a little, but its easy with a dremel. I unplugged the A-pillar tweeters, with the addition of the door tweeters, it was too much and they are not aimed at the driver at all. Another thing that helps is to turn on the driver sound stage setting.

Sponsored

ahornsfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Eco Boost Premium
I swapped out the 3.5" door & center speakers for Polk DB351's. The bracket that holds the door speaker needs to be modified a little, but its easy with a dremel. I unplugged the A-pillar tweeters, with the addition of the door tweeters, it was too much and they are not aimed at the driver at all. Another thing that helps is to turn on the driver sound stage setting.
Were you happy with the results? I was at Best Buy and the installer guy said I would be wasting my money if all I did was swap out the 3 3.5s on my 2016. I didn't quite understand why he said that but he was very persistent about it.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Unless you're getting into the high level Lincolns, I'm of the opinion that even the premium factory stereos aren't really going to hold a candle to most aftermarket stuff. I miss the bass from my upgraded Navigator, but I still feel the Shaker Pro is a lot better than most stock setups. Keep in mind, Ford could go crazy and make the radios ultra premium with crazy bass, etc but they have to appeal to the masses. Not everyone wants tons of bass when they turn it up. Others want to hear the bass and not the music. Others don't even use the radio and listen to the engine/exhaust. Lots of variables. Some day I may go bigger on the sub but for now its good enough for me.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Were you happy with the results? I was at Best Buy and the installer guy said I would be wasting my money if all I did was swap out the 3 3.5s on my 2016. I didn't quite understand why he said that but he was very persistent about it.
That installer guy is an idiot. I replaced my center channel, 3.5" door, 6.5" door, and A-pillars with JBL Club speakers and it sounds a lot better than stock. The high's are significantly more crisp. However, it is still lacking bass, so I have a Kicker Hideaway arriving on Friday.

ahornsfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Eco Boost Premium
That installer guy is an idiot. I replaced my center channel, 3.5" door, 6.5" door, and A-pillars with JBL Club speakers and it sounds a lot better than stock. The high's are significantly more crisp. However, it is still lacking bass, so I have a Kicker Hideaway arriving on Friday.
How will you connect the Kicker into the system? Sorry, I'm not super knowledgeable.

Which JBL speakers did you install? Did they fit pretty well or was it significant work?

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
How will you connect the Kicker into the system? Sorry, I'm not super knowledgeable.

Which JBL speakers did you install? Did they fit pretty well or was it significant work?
To install the Kicker Hideaway, you need an amp install kit. A good writeup here

I bought the JBL Club 3020 3.5's and the Club 6500C for the 6.5's and the tweeters. I did not replace the rear speakers because every thread I read said doing so won't really do much to the sound.

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Is there some plug and play adapters for each of those speakers?

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I want to go back to stock, is it possible to re-use the door speaker bracket with the factory speakers after modifying it?
Sponsored