Sponsored

Heavier Steering by Adding Suspension Mods?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve heard humors that adding a larger front swaybar to the S550 can add some heft to the steering. True? Any other items I can swap in the suspension to add heft?

Background: I’ve already added quality and wider tires, stiffer control arm bushings, and I drive on sport steering mode. The only thing I haven’t tried is seeking the electric-assist power steering fuse and pull it.

Thanks,

- Mike
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I like a heavy steering feel. I drove a E92 335i last week, one just like my previous car, and want to replicate the heft.
Between the roll center correction arms and BMR front bar, the steering is significantly more hefty and has far more feel.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, a heavier front sway bar will add some weight and self-centring feel to the steering.
It’s all to do with caster.
For an extreme example, take a look at a proper racing go kart. When unladen (no driver) a kart will lift the outside front wheel clean off the ground when on full lock. Let go of the steering wheel and watch it snap straight back to dead centre.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I like a heavy steering feel. I drove a E92 335i last week, one just like my previous car, and want to replicate the heft.
Didn't the E92 use hydraulic power steering?

Typically when you simulate the 'heft' of a good HPAS in an EPAS system, you get the heft but not the feel. Not sure why you'd want that combination.

Norm

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't the E92 use hydraulic power steering?

Typically when you simulate the 'heft' of a good HPAS in an EPAS system, you get the heft but not the feel. Not sure why you'd want that combination.

Norm
The “heft” isn’t artificial if you use a sway bar to achieve it. The result isn’t the same as simply toggling the steering.
It’s not like a sway bar is the silver bullet either, but it does form part of the larger equation.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The “heft” isn’t artificial if you use a sway bar to achieve it. The result isn’t the same as simply toggling the steering.
It’s not like a sway bar is the silver bullet either, but it does form part of the larger equation.
EPAS still isolates you (the steering wheel, actually) more from what's happening down at the contact patches than HPAS does. If you drive by what you're feeling in the steering wheel rather than by using steering wheel position alone, that matters. If anything, 'heft' gets in the way of feeling what's happening down at the front tire contact patches.

Norm

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I can say one thing, if you want a heavier steering feel don’t install light weight rotors. I’ve had AP Racing rotors sitting in my closet for a few years and now that I decided to put new pads on, I finally installed the rotors too.

I keep telling myself it’s all in my head but the steering definitely feels lighter and more responsive. Even sport steering doesn’t feel heavy ‍♂ Lol

also new ds2500 + new rotors + 285 mps4s squared netted me a new best in braking G’s lol vs the Re11s I had before. 1.18 to now 1.23 or .24 on stock suspensions w/ 53ishK miles
Sponsored