Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
mine did not consume much at all, besides some in the catch can, before 6k miles. then it started getting worse out of nowhere. so enjoy, but keep on checking periodically.
^This!!!
Lotsa unknowns w this engine!!

Remember to check for leaks (Oil Pressure Sending Sensor, Valve Covers).

Full is between the holes- no need to add oil within this range.

@Hack , my experience with your hypothesis worked out! I stopped topping it off and had no need to add any:like:. Thanks!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
@Hack , my experience with your hypothesis worked out! I stopped topping it off and had no need to add any:like:. Thanks!
That is great to hear!

When I noticed that my Voodoo behaved that way, my assumption was that at least some others would. It seems as though at least mine "liked" to be at 1/2 way between the lines on the dip stick and if it was filled to the top line the oil level would decrease down to the 1/2 way point fairly rapidly. However, if it was left alone with the oil level at that 1/2 way point, it wouldn't use any more oil until it was due for another oil change.

So my advice to everyone here is: don't add oil as long as the level is between the lines on the dip stick. Keep checking the level regularly and you may find that the oil level stabilizes and there's no need to continue adding oil. I think it's better for the engine as well if oil isn't continually added.

JiminVirginia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Shelby GT350. No stripes.
That's my routine - prop the hood open every Saturday night and put a roll of paper towels on the radiator shroud - oil level and tire pressure get checked every Sunday morning cold.

That said, I have 3350 miles on my '19 w/ no oil issues. First oil change at 1650 miles and it hadn't budged from the factory fill. 1700 miles on this fill and it's still sitting on the top hole.

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
That's my routine also.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
That is great to hear!

When I noticed that my Voodoo behaved that way, my assumption was that at least some others would. It seems as though at least mine "liked" to be at 1/2 way between the lines on the dip stick and if it was filled to the top line the oil level would decrease down to the 1/2 way point fairly rapidly. However, if it was left alone with the oil level at that 1/2 way point, it wouldn't use any more oil until it was due for another oil change.

So my advice to everyone here is: don't add oil as long as the level is between the lines on the dip stick. Keep checking the level regularly and you may find that the oil level stabilizes and there's no need to continue adding oil. I think it's better for the engine as well if oil isn't continually added.
I wonder if the crankcase pressure moves a certain amount of oil out to equalize when it's topped full?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wonder if the crankcase pressure moves a certain amount of oil out to equalize when it's topped full?
I don't know - I never noticed leaks. My assumption was that if the oil level is too high, the crankshaft might whip the oil up more and cause more oil vapor, thus removing that excess oil from the system through the PCV system. I didn't get a ton of oil in the oil/air separators, though - so maybe it's something else. I think there's a tolerance on the "correct" oil level and Ford has the marks on the dipstick set to have as much oil as possible in the car.
Sponsored