Best oil drain valve?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Definitely looking into that Ronin. The stupid stock plastic piece resulted in me dumping hot oil all over the place...
Thankfully I read a bunch of posts here before my first oil change so I was expecting it. I also read someplace that the drain plug is supposed to be a single use item but can't find it so maybe it's in my head. So it got me thinking $10 drain plug every time vs a single drain plug with bonuses, the single plug will pay for itself eventually. Also keeps the oil pan portion from getting worn out by removing/inserting plug but then how many times are you really draining the oil in the lifetime of the car? I put the Ronin piece in and it hasn't leaked or had any issue at all. Drains nice with almost zero mess. The stupid filter makes all the mess but someone on here said to use a Ziploc bag over it to try and catch some oil, gonna try that soonish when it's oil change time.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
For 2018+, Fumoto says they will have a valve for those in March. Initial design to be done this month. I would expect it to be cheaper than the Ronin.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thankfully I read a bunch of posts here before my first oil change so I was expecting it. I also read someplace that the drain plug is supposed to be a single use item but can't find it so maybe it's in my head.
That was from Ford. Not that it can't be reused but that you are kind of on your own after that. Maybe they think it is cheap enough they could scare people into replacing it, or justify a fee for that with dealer changes. What could go wrong? o-ring wears out? ???

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
That was from Ford. Not that it can't be reused but that you are kind of on your own after that. Maybe they think it is cheap enough they could scare people into replacing it, or justify a fee for that with dealer changes. What could go wrong? o-ring wears out? ???
Woooooo I'm not crazy!

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I've been very happy with my Fumoto valve. 76k miles, valve installed for over 60k of that.
Same here. My Ram has one (since '07). The Ram before it had one. The Ram before that had one. The Chrysler and Mazda both had one. Yes, you can get one with a nipple for attaching a hose. I've not gotten one yet for the Mustang. The first oil change is still a couple of months away.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Same here. My Ram has one (since '07). The Ram before it had one. The Ram before that had one. The Chrysler and Mazda both had one. Yes, you can get one with a nipple for attaching a hose. I've not gotten one yet for the Mustang. The first oil change is still a couple of months away.
Been using Fumotos for decades. Still have one in an older vehicle, but stopped buying them when Femcos were available. Fumotos are a close enough second best that I wouldn't remove and throw one away to replace it with a Femco.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I still don't understand the attraction to these valves.

Removing filters always makes more of a mess than removing a drain plug for me.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I still don't understand the attraction to these valves.
This thread is about 2015-17.

From the drain valve thread:

1. They make oil changes easier and much cleaner since they allow the use of a hose from the valve to a container. Many don't even require a tool to operate.

2. They make it simple to extract a small amount of oil for analysis.

3. If you use extra oil in a vehicle on track days (my ATS requires that, for example), it makes it easy to remove the extra.

4. They eliminate the chance of stripping drain plug threads or drain plug gaskets leaking

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Femco valves on both of my cars. Work great.

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
A Ford Tech - no fuss no mess. Super deal when I bought the car.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Coming back to this, the Fumoto 107N seems like it'll stick out way to far. Which drain valve/plug is going to stick out the least and still work well?

Thanks!
Sponsored