Should I get Myself a DA polisher?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Hi I'm on the fence if I should get a Porter Cable 7424XP DA polisher for my 19 GT. I've never done anything like that with a car before so I'm kind of nervous I could bugger the paint up. I have some swirl marks I'd like to remove that were likely dealer installed LOL. I can buy it with some chemical Guys pads etc. on Amazon for a not too bad price I see.......Or should I just get something and do it by hand when needed? I searched around and didn't find much to help me decide.

I appreciate any info or thoughts you all may have. I would love to be more serious in the care of my beloved Mustang but sure as hell don't want to botch it up either :)
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
YES and YES. That DA is very noobie forgiving, just start slow, use the right pad/compound, and light pressure. By hand you can't really get swirl marks out unless you spend days with compound over and over again. Literally in a few hours with the right equipment can have your car shining like it's wet. I finally splurged for a Rupes buffer and it was sooooooooo worth the money. Can buff for hours with ease.

After DA and compound correction hit it with some wax or sealant to protect it.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I was a noob to this also when I got my Mustang but I say ABSOLUTELY. Plenty of videos on youtube to watch and learn from. Scott at Dallas Paint Correction, Mike from Autogeek and many others...

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
YES and YES. That DA is very noobie forgiving, just start slow, use the right pad/compound, and light pressure. By hand you can't really get swirl marks out unless you spend days with compound over and over again. Literally in a few hours with the right equipment can have your car shining like it's wet. I finally splurged for a Rupes buffer and it was sooooooooo worth the money. Can buff for hours with ease.

After DA and compound correction hit it with some wax or sealant to protect it.
Which Rupes do you have?

OP
OP
Qcman17

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Gents thank you I have been going back and forth on this and just keep falling short of pulling the trigger..... I am going to pull it now! I was thinking of getting either the Chemical Guys V-36 polish or Meguiars Ultimate Compound for some basic polishing. Any ideas on that?

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
OP
OP
Qcman17

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Yes... yes yes yes... I spent days researching and watching how toā€™s. I got a Chem Guys Black Friday special with the Torq X DA and went to town on our daily at the time a 16 Mazda 6, then i did my Focus ST that was tuxedo black and came out amazing with what I learned on the Mazda 6. I then did a full paint correction and coated my GT and itā€™s worth every dime I saved. Iā€™ve paint corrected 3 other cars and when it cools down Iā€™ll do our new daily a 19 Mazda 3 in their awesome looking Red Mazda has. I used Chem Guys polishes until I came across this product. He use to be local and it works great. Iā€™ve done my sons 14 mustang V6 that was ruined and it brought it back to a mirror. Just suggestion, but any polishes will give great results, I just really like this and know a lot of professionals that use it

https://tldproducts.com/products/the-last-cut-16-oz

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
The only way you could bugger up the paint with a DA polisher was if you threw it at the car!
So easy to use but once you get the car looking how you want it you'll probably never pick it up again.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
The only way you could bugger up the paint with a DA polisher was if you threw it at the car!
So easy to use but once you get the car looking how you want it you'll probably never pick it up again.
pretty much facts right here.
I had a old hood I practiced with a little, but had to really try hard to mess the paint up... to ā€œburn itā€ like a lot of pressure high speed and not moving it.

also pretty much the same here. once done, especially if you ceramic coat it, you donā€™t really need it again. UNLESS you use it to put on glazes and sealants and waxes. Iā€™m still not sure if Iā€™m any faster using the DA to do this or not, but I do use less product with it.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Which Rupes do you have?
4" big foot. Got the smaller backing pad to do the tight areas, and curves easier than a bigger one. A 6 or 7 inch would make crazy short work of a large area.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Get the PC and then check out Adam's Polishes...great stuff and almost impossible to screw up.

OP
OP
Qcman17

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
LOL okay I won't throw it then :) But thx for letting me know its entirely safe to do. My girlfriend has a nice little Benz Roadster that I take care of too so her car will benefit as much as mine from this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Qcman17

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Get the PC and then check out Adam's Polishes...great stuff and almost impossible to screw up.
I ordered it and got a couple of the Maguiars ones I forgot all about Adams actually! But the Maguiars seem to be well reviewed and pretty safe too so that's why I grabbed them to start with. My car is not in rough shape by any means compared to most folks cars but it is of course dear to me. The kit should be here Friday. . I figure I'll practice on my black company truck until I get the hang of this thing. If I goof on it no one will know as it spends a lot of time at a quarry lol.
Sponsored