New Mustang owner here

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Ok guys winter isn't too far off and my last Mustang was a '04 GT that was just awful driving in the snow/ice. Ended up trading it off for an Escape. So how's my '19 Ecoboost going to perform this winter- BTW it's my daily driver.
Thanks
Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I have a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost before my GT. If you put it in snow mode, get a good set of winter tires and don't floor it you should be good. Super deep snow is going to be a problem but if you live in a major city or where they plow the roads everything should be good.

Let me know if you have specific questions and I will do my best to help.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Ok guys winter isn't too far off and my last Mustang was a '04 GT that was just awful driving in the snow/ice. Ended up trading it off for an Escape. So how's my '19 Ecoboost going to perform this winter- BTW it's my daily driver.
Thanks
I used to live in St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. You being a FIP, I'm guessing you are aware of that area.

Let's be logical and technical about this topic; it's not the car, it's the tires. Your '04 GT would have been fine, if you'd used the correct tires. In areas that get heavy snow & ice, you want to use Mud & Snow tires. I had them on my '05 GT when I lived in The Harbor, and my car plowed through everything SW MI. could throw at it.

Reactions: Fjc

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What NoVaGT said x1000. Tires, tires, tires - on a dedicated winter tires it'll be better to drive than AWD SUV on all seasons.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost before my GT. If you put it in snow mode, get a good set of winter tires and don't floor it you should be good. Super deep snow is going to be a problem but if you live in a major city or where they plow the roads everything should be good.

Let me know if you have specific questions and I will do my best to help.

^^^ that...

Tires is what makes the difference and of course driver common sense in bad weather conditions.

Load the tank with fuel and if needed, stuff the trunk with (3) 50lb bags of rock salt or kitty litter IF you’re in an area that experience extreme snow/ice conditions. Since the Mustangs are rear wheel drive, the weight over the ass end helps tremendously during those few months of winter weather.

After the season just store the bags or donate them.

I’ve owned (20) Mustangs to date - and lived in NJ entirely - so speaking from experience when it comes to winter and Mustang ownership....

Not going to blow smoke up your ass because if you never drove such a car in winter, it will be a first time experience with learning it and becoming familiar with how it functions in snow/ice. Use common sense, keep distance between you and other drivers. Snow Mode is new for the Mustang starting in 2015. The slightest aggressive goosing of the throttle in snow or on ice, even with snow mode on will swing that ass end around quicker than you would want to especially if you have never driven a Mustang in snow...

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Can't agree more! Tires are THE difference in any weather driving. Bought a mini cooper jcw and was soooo excited about it because of the car being engineered in Scandinavian winters. First snow on the stock run flat summer tires.....where was I going? Nowhere efen NOWHERE! lol. Got winter tires and instant snow beast. Then got actual summer tires and that car never lost traction again till I boarded the mod train. Bought my 19 GT PP1 this May, just got used (winter) wheels and tires last week in an unexpected deal of a lifetime. May or may not replace the tires with some Blizzaks before winter hits. Zero fear of my own driving or getting stuck on a winter road.....other drivers.....well that horse corpse is still getting beaten somewhere on this forum already I'm sure lol.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Any rwd or fwd car should be on snow tires up north. If you do that... it will do great. In tests cars with snow tires outperform awd suvs without snow tires.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Friend has a premium ecostang like yours. Steel rims, Michelin X-ice i3’s is a great combo. We get pretty decent snow here north of Toronto. He doesn’t use weight in the trunk but it would help.

Even debated making my GT as a daily when it gets older and selling my Si.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
I live just north of Toronto and my Mustang is my only car so I will definitely be getting winter tires for it. If you live anywhere that gets a decent amount of snow, all seasons won't cut it. In my case I got a PP1 which comes with summer tires, I wouldn't even try driving with them in winter. Looks like I'll be out $2000 this fall to buy a set of winter tires and rims. It's expensive because I need 19" rims to clear the PP1 brakes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
That was the problem with the '04 GT I had - Goodyear Eagles on it - very bad on snow. I'm in the suburb of Indianapolis and most of our winters are not that bad - but we get a surprise every once in a while. My '19 does not have performance tires on it so it may do fine.

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
BLIZZAK LM-32's and maintain forward momentum.

no problems in deep snow.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
That was the problem with the '04 GT I had - Goodyear Eagles on it - very bad on snow. I'm in the suburb of Indianapolis and most of our winters are not that bad - but we get a surprise every once in a while. My '19 does not have performance tires on it so it may do fine.
2 sets of wheels and tires changes everything. Then a cordless impact and some jack stands.....bond with the machine! I love playing "nascar" twice a year.

OP
OP
BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
2 sets of wheels and tires changes everything. Then a cordless impact and some jack stands.....bond with the machine! I love playing "nascar" twice a year.
Been there done that - lol.

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
I daily mine the past 4 years living in Chicago/Colorado and have been caught in nasty storms in Wyoming in March, my sottozeros got me through places were many crossovers had challenges. Just be smart with the torque!
Sponsored