Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
What I "should" have done is drill a hole in the stock bar to allow doing back to back stock vs stiffer testing before putting the stock bar back in the car where drilling is "not easy" from what James Paulson tells me.
I drilled the bar on the car. Wasn’t hard. Just started with a 1/8 bit and went up from there. On one side I finished the job with a dremel cuz the steel was too hard.

Will be at Lincoln sending it as hard as I can.
Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The reason for going back to the stock front bar is to see if it helps with slow corner entry and mid corner understeer without making the car too loose in transitions. I never really had a chance to get used to the car before changing to the bigger front bar so I'm going to give it a try for awhile on the relatively small local sites.
That had been my complaint with my car since day 1 and it’s never gone away. I now think the best solution is to slow down “too much” on corner entry and then mash the gas to get rotated on corner exit... if that makes any sense. The animal tactics in the video below produce better times for me than any other approach.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That had been my complaint with my car since day 1 and it’s never gone away. I now think the best solution is to slow down “too much” on corner entry and then mash the gas to get rotated on corner exit... if that makes any sense. The animal tactics in the video below produce better times for me than any other approach.
Miata club? On some level the Mustang is never going to do courses like that well. It's just too big.

The car needs way, way more spring. Rolls so much...

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Miata club? On some level the Mustang is never going to do courses like that well. It's just too big.

The car needs way, way more spring. Rolls so much...
That was the last NER SCCA course. Cone hit count was very high.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
That was the last NER SCCA course. Cone hit count was very high.
What camera are you using and what is it's "field of view" spec? For example 90 deg, 130 deg, 170 degree? Most GoPro type cameras have about a 170 degree "wide angle" lens which to me makes courses look more open/faster than they are and than a narrower view such as my Race Technology Video4 90 degree shows.

I prefer the more accurate view of your camera (and mine) but it might make the course look even worse than it was to people who are used to the "GoPro" view. Keep in mind that you never had to change hand position on the steering wheel where a really tight course would require more steering lock. :)

Good luck in Lincoln!!!! Be prepared to deal with OPR as best you can, especially with two drivers.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Good luck in Lincoln!!!! Be prepared to deal with OPR as best you can, especially with two drivers.
Do you remove it between the runs or between run days ? I read the discussion about using multi-tools to do it, never really worried about it as that would be least of my worries but running a 5th heat in Peru last month I got a ton of it....

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you remove it between the runs or between run days ? I read the discussion about using multi-tools to do it, never really worried about it as that would be least of my worries but running a 5th heat in Peru last month I got a ton of it....
Removing OPR between runs on our car is really difficult with just one person to do the work. Most people who do so have either a codriver or some other helper(s) and jack the car or even remove wheels and use a battery powered mulitools with lots of spare batteries or 120 vac tools with an inverter or generator. I have some "cutoff" and slightly dulled putty knives which I used to get the really big globs off my front tires . . . sort of. The best thing you can do each day is run a tight line and stay out of the OPR marbles. Lincoln is worse due to the seam sealer they use and, of course, the huge number of drivers using all sorts of tires. Between days you can use the "tire cleaning skid pad" but it works best if you or the worker/fee collector wets the pavement . . . which of course will make your car dirty if the Lincoln weather hasn't already done so. Previously the OPR skid pad was on really bad pavement. I don't know where it is this year. I still have some OPR on my last year's Nats RE-71R's which drove from Lincoln to Cheyenne, WY before taking us home to Raleigh, NC (they haven't been used since). Of course if it rains OPR is the least of your issues but will remove OPR if you run in the rain. Note that the practice course probably will have OPR.

FYI I used this DIY or touchless car wash. 6000 Telluride Dr, Lincoln, NE 68521 Be VERY careful lining up your car if you use the touchless bays. Better to use the DIY since both it and the touchless need to be dried to prevent water spots

Also at least some of the hotels such as the Staybridge on Fletcher use city water for their grass sprinklers which come on even if it rains. The water is HARD and will water spot your paint. :frown:

As other Lincoln veterans will tell you bring plenty of different weather versions of clothing options other than "probably" no snow. Assume 15 to 20 mph winds unless it is really hot in which case the breeze you want may not happen. Assume any nearby canopy will blow into your car unless the owner has secured it very well . . . so volunteer to check. Also the grids are tight considering the amount of support stuff most people bring. Try to put your stuff on the side YOU will be turning to as you head for the start line so that the guy in the next space who probably cannot see your stuff doesn't drive over it. Your fault if you drive over your own stuff. The tire vendors will gladly let you air up your tires and/or fill an air tank at the end of each day (maybe not after 5th heat if your heat runs LATE) so you are ready to just bleed them down the next day. Unless things have changed assume that you will be required to jack up one side of the car for "in grid" impound after the first day's runs and remove front and rear wheels. As normal for SCCA Tours and Pros hoods and trunks open after all runs for in grid impound. Since our cars need Advance Trac turned off I make sure to do this no later than the 5 car warning but usually before that because 5 cars can be less than 2 minutes at Nats.

Edit to add: When time permits in impound, even if there are tire vendors with air, I refill my tires using a Viair 88P which connects to the main terminal of the fuse box near the battery. It is much faster than the emergency inflator provided by Ford. Make sure the engine is running for both faster inflation and for the good of the compressor.

Good luck!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thanks Dick. I learned the sprinkler thing hard way in Peru - Courtyard had them and I park in the end spots...

I have a paddock spot in row 3 next to ETR group paddock and we have another person from our region right next to us - so hopefully have enough space - it'll be just my car and my co-driver's Suburban. I do have Milwaukee M12 inflator, if they have us take wheels off (planned on taking jack stands), I might put my regular wheels back on in grid for drive home on Wednesday :)

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
What camera are you using and what is it's "field of view" spec? For example 90 deg, 130 deg, 170 degree? Most GoPro type cameras have about a 170 degree "wide angle" lens which to me makes courses look more open/faster than they are and than a narrower view such as my Race Technology Video4 90 degree shows.

I prefer the more accurate view of your camera (and mine) but it might make the course look even worse than it was to people who are used to the "GoPro" view. Keep in mind that you never had to change hand position on the steering wheel where a really tight course would require more steering lock. :)

GoPro hero 5. Narrow field of view setting, no image stabilization, foam wind sock from Amazon.com over it to improve audio.

Thanks for the luck!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GoPro hero 5. Narrow field of view setting, no image stabilization, foam wind sock from Amazon.com over it to improve audio.

Thanks for the luck!
You are welcome. The primary need for luck in a Mustang is for dry runs or, if you have really good rain tires, maybe full wet runs.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that GoPro's have a field of view setting. Good to know. FYI you might want to check out the new Race Technology GoPro Standalone Video software which uses Hero5 Black and newer GPS data with no need for any Race Technology hardware. RT Analysis is very powerful for after event analysis. SoloStorm is the choice for during event analysis.

https://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Software/GoProStandalone

http://www.race-technology.com/foru...2&sid=66364a5a44be04fe3d0d8a5c4c9a206a#p14942

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I guess BMR - that used to be very proud of grease ports on their brackets - made a cost reduction at some point.
You are welcome! :)

As one of the original purchasers of the BMR front bar, I found a huge problem in the bushing they used very early on. My car was destroying the grease zerk bushings at the grease zerk hole in the bushing. The problem was a combination of bar forces (partly bar spring rate, partly how much roll the stock spring + big front bar setup has), bushing material and the zerk fitting hole. Thankfully Kelly is a boss and rectified the issue. Not only with me, but on the design. I think they tested two different poly materials before just removing the zerk fitting entirely. He even designed a set of Delrin bushings that I was going to buy and test but never got around to doing so.

Anyway, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found the front bar setup to be just easier to drive fast and easier to be consistent with. It really fixed a lot of the problems I had with the car's twitchyness. I really don't know how people drive the rear bar setup as fast as they do... I found it nearly uncontrollable with no way to use the power the car has.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Anyway, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who found the front bar setup to be just easier to drive fast and easier to be consistent with. It really fixed a lot of the problems I had with the car's twitchyness. I really don't know how people drive the rear bar setup as fast as they do... I found it nearly uncontrollable with no way to use the power the car has.
I actually did think of you since I believe you were the first one of the crowd using front bar and stating it works - so thank you, I wish I was less timid was making setup changes.
I just have one local event on it but it was so much easier to drive. And in the rain with the rear bar car was nearly undriveable - and it wasn't just me - few Evo instructors as well.

Thanks for explanation on why the grease ports are gone. Makes sense. Hopefully those bushings don't need to be re-greased too often because it's damn painful to do.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

As one of the original purchasers of the BMR front bar, I found a huge problem in the bushing they used very early on. My car was destroying the grease zerk bushings at the grease zerk hole in the bushing. The problem was a combination of bar forces (partly bar spring rate, partly how much roll the stock spring + big front bar setup has), bushing material and the zerk fitting hole. Thankfully Kelly is a boss and rectified the issue. Not only with me, but on the design. I think they tested two different poly materials before just removing the zerk fitting entirely. He even designed a set of Delrin bushings that I was going to buy and test but never got around to doing so.

On my 18 I ran the Whiteline bar for over 15K miles and MANY autocross runs last year and early this year and the teflon lined bushings are still "like new".

Twitchy with a rear bar? Yep. The first rear bar on my 15 was an Eibach which was about the same on soft than the Strano rear bar on stiff (IF my calcs are correct). I ran the Strano bar on both soft and medium when it became available and still had both understeer and too much twitchy at the common high revs in fast slaloms and offsets due to the short gearing.

I was never really happy with the bigger front bar on my 18 with MagneRide. For me it was too pushy too often even though it certainly was more confidence inspiring in quick slaloms and transitions and since I changed bars instead of drilling the oem bar it was impossible to do back to back testing. Per Ford MagneRide calibration guys increased turn-in stability is part of track mode calibration. Plus the taller gearing of both the manual (in 2nd) and automatic (in 3rd) may help tame the rear compared to the 15 - 17's. That said, James Paulson did the drilled front bar on both his 16 and his 18 and was certainly FAST with Koni's.
Sponsored