Sponsored

Grabby stock PP1 pads w/Steeda floaters

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have a set of Steeda full floating rotors running the stock PP1 pads on my 18...Pads worked fairly well for one track day this past April but took a beating. Roughed up pads with 80 grit on glass and everything seemed fine. However, in the last few weeks pads have gotten really grabby. There is still plenty of material left on all pads but I wonder if the abuse on the track earlier this year has contributed to this? Question is are these done? Kind of a pita to pull all the pads and flat them off again on 80 grit but a lot of material left and they make great street pads. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
What do you mean by grabby?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a set of Steeda full floating rotors running the stock PP1 pads on my 18...Pads worked fairly well for one track day this past April but took a beating. Roughed up pads with 80 grit on glass and everything seemed fine. However, in the last few weeks pads have gotten really grabby. There is still plenty of material left on all pads but I wonder if the abuse on the track earlier this year has contributed to this? Question is are these done? Kind of a pita to pull all the pads and flat them off again on 80 grit but a lot of material left and they make great street pads. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
They're normally grabby, so I'd say you've probably gotten rid of the glazing you may have had and they're now working properly.

OP
OP
barron64

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
What do you mean by grabby?
After the track day the pads felt like they had been glazed and lacked bite... After roughing them up with 80 grit they were back to normal until recently. Now just a light touch brings a lot of braking force, much more so than normal. Just wondering if the track day cooked the pads, changing the coefficient of friction, bringing this on. Guess I could remove and rough them up again and see what happens.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
maybe grab an IR thermometer and measure rotor temp after driving around a bit without heavy braking see what sort of temps you're getting? I wounder if you're not actually dragging brakes and so they're a lot hotter than they otherwise would be and so are much more grabby as a result.

Sponsored

OP
OP
barron64

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odd thing happened... brakes are acting normal again? After pondering on this, I wonder if the extreme humidity we have had lately in Alabama, could have been the cause? Humidity is down some and noticed on the way to work brakes were feeling normal.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Odd thing happened... brakes are acting normal again? After pondering on this, I wonder if the extreme humidity we have had lately in Alabama, could have been the cause? Humidity is down some and noticed on the way to work brakes were feeling normal.
It definitely can affect things.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
High humidity definitely increases friction for a little while on friction linings. I notice it in the brakes as well as the clutch if humidity jumps suddenly
Sponsored