Sponsored

Both key fob's stopped working at the same time?

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Went to unlock my car and got no response. Tried the 2nd key fob and got nothing. The lights don't blink on either key fob's too. So now I'm stuck. Haven't bought a new key fob battery yet.
But coinendence both key fob batteries died at the same time? Car battery dead? What else could it be?
Sponsored

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
open the fob and takeout the key, pop the cap off the door handle, the part which you touch to lock the door , look underneath for the little slot to pop it off. Under there is the lock slot for the manual key. After you get in, the rear cup holder has a place under the rubber part to place the fob. and start the car if the car battery is not dead
Good luck

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
open the fob and takeout the key, pop the cap off the door handle, the part which you touch to lock the door , look underneath for the little slot to pop it off. Under there is the lock slot for the manual key. After you get in, the rear cup holder has a place under the rubber part to place the fob. and start the car if the car battery is not dead
Good luck
Tried that and got in, still nothing. Tried my portable battery jumper and still nothing.
Got a new battery and it worked. :beer:

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
New battery for the car or the fob?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
My car this weekend started telling me it couldn't detect the key, so I changed the batteries and it still did it. So I got the spare fob and its still intermittently saying it while I drive. Antenna going bad?

Sponsored

OP
OP

drumstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
New battery for the car or the fob?
For the car.

My car this weekend started telling me it couldn't detect the key, so I changed the batteries and it still did it. So I got the spare fob and its still intermittently saying it while I drive. Antenna going bad?
Try putting the key fob in the cup holder like GMB mentioned. The attena is directly underneath the cup holder.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
For the car.

Try putting the key fob in the cup holder like GMB mentioned. The attena is directly underneath the cup holder.
It doesn't work. There is a cubby under the rubber bottom of the cupholder for it. I think the antenna is going bad honestly as its a 50/50 if the keys are going to work or not.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
I've never seen anything like it. My 'Stang tells me basically every 10-14 months that the key fob batteries are low. WTH!!!! I have lots of remotes for various things. Some are original batteries...10 years old.

Seriously.. DEAD in 12 months. Maybe FORD should make nuclear powered key fobs!!!

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I've never seen anything like it. My 'Stang tells me basically every 10-14 months that the key fob batteries are low. WTH!!!! I have lots of remotes for various things. Some are original batteries...10 years old.

Seriously.. DEAD in 12 months. Maybe FORD should make nuclear powered key fobs!!!
They'd be too heavy.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I've probably changed the battery in one or both of our 1997 Mustang remotes once each since buying the car new 22 years ago. My 2015 remotes were both still fine 3 years later when it was traded for my 2018 18 months ago.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Short version: Fob's coin-cell cover won't come off. Couldn't replace the cell if I needed to.

A littler more searching led to THIS Page, where it indicates one must apply more than a thin coin to one slot; thin screwdriver to a couple more slots. For the 2018 and 2819 cars the battery/cell is CR2450, if I got it right.

--------------------------------------------

I really prefer against getting involved in this kind of dead-horse beating, but some of the splatter might save someone else some frustration and effort.

Attached pictures show a bit more of the "thin-screwdriver" operation. In the 2018 video the operator experiences a little difficulty popping off the cover, and mentions a couple of slots in the fob base that I can't find. The Very Small screwdriver in my photos is inserted in the only place that accomplishes "pop-off": one of the ramps the cover rests on, both of which can be used to leverage the cover free. You can likely see the slot that a thin coin fits to gain access to the ramps.

YellowCarFobDSCN6115.jpg
YellowCarFobDSCN6120.jpg

---------------

For the first year I could lean into the driver area with the fob in my left front pants pocket, and the car found it and ignition would respond as expected. Just after the start of its second year, the car would tell me it couldn't find a key, and I'd have to either get in the driver seat or take out the fob and wave it around inside the car.

I looked in the Owners' Manual and found the instructions for replacing the fob battery. Figured I'd look at what was inside there so I could have a replacement coin cell on hand for eventual failure. Following the manual's instructions, I used a thin coin to twist in the designated slot to open the fob. The slot end of the battery cover popped up, but the cover itself remains firmly attached. I tried tipping, sliding and pulling and twisting, but the cover won't come off. I hesitate to apply any more pressure.

Is there some secret sequence of pushes, pulls, and twists that will release the fob cell cover? Does my Ford dealer have a special tool to allow access to the coin cell?

Just asking.

Last edited:

Mbarone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 v6 coupe
Went to unlock my car and got no response. Tried the 2nd key fob and got nothing. The lights don't blink on either key fob's too. So now I'm stuck. Haven't bought a new key fob battery yet.
But coinendence both key fob batteries died at the same time? Car battery dead? What else could it be?
I’m having the same problem right now, did you figure out what caused this??

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

My 2015 popped up the low key FOB warning only once, about 5 years after the car was made.

Mbarone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 v6 coupe
Post 3. He replaced a dead car battery.
Whoops. Man I’m stumped. Same symptoms but my fobs work intermittently. I’ve tried almost everything I can think of. The only thing left would be the antenna under the cup holder. Guess I’ll try that next. ‍♀
Sponsored