Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Most C7 3LTs are $80K cars that dealers dump for $70-75K. I doubt its faster than a Grand Sport. That's a Z06 with an LT1. I don't care much for Randy's lap times. He went faster in a ZR1 that's heavier, smaller, less sticky tires, less downforce, worse weight distribution around that track than the GT350R that has more downforce, better weight distribution, lighter, wider tires, and stickier tires. He & MT aren't credible to me.

Agreed.
Fair enough. Actually I think I was wrong. $5K for the Z51 package includes destination. So the package is $4K + 1,795 for magneride = $5,795.

It's still pretty impressive how a base C7 starts at $57K and the base C8 starts sub $60K, but I'd guess that means $59,995. So You're looking at a minimum of $65,795 for a Z51 and likely more, especially if GM requires the expensive track seats with the Z51 package. The tall wing is likely at least another $1-2K and that gives it closer to GT500 carbon levels of downforce. We have no idea how fast a regular $74K GT500 is going to be but I bet they are pretty close in lap time for similar money. One does it with 760hp and big tires, the other is more refined with a traditional sportscar layout that's hundreds of pounds lighter and 495hp.

At least we can probably agree that Japanese cars are sucking.
GM will not require any other purchase with Z51 package. Since at least 1984 intro of Z51 in C4, Z51 can be ordered on any base car trim level. You can get a Stingray 1LT + Z51 and call it a day. Or a 2LT. Or a 3LT. No seat upgrade requirement. No magnaride requirement. No nothing.

Also, one piece of content for Z51 is the spoiler that was on the red car during the reveal. The tall wing is not part of the package that delivers the 3s time. The short spoiler that comes as part of Z51 is. That is what, in conjunction with the front splitter, delivers the 400 lb downforce. I wonder if ordering the tall spoiler would actually remove the Z51 option form the build. I haven’t played with the configuration yet, so I really don’t know, but it would not surprise me.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The C8 is starting CHEAP. You gotta wonder why. Either they cut corners, there are quality issues, or GM is hurting and trying to do something to shake things up. either way, great thing for however many buyers there will be, but terrible for GM.
My theory is that the Stingray will be the only trim that keeps the 6.2L OHV and a lower price tag. This will be in order to not lose the traditional customer that expects Corvette to be the reasonably priced sports car that punches above its weight class. The other models from Grand Sport on up to Z06 and ZR1 will likely all be based on the 5.5L DOHC (flat plane?) and draw a higher price tag. I’m less sure about Grand Sport, as that could be like today’s Grand Sport that has the same powertrain as Stingray, but with Z06 widebody. But I believe it will be treated more like a Z06 without boost. So, in my scenario,

• Stingray: Base body with LT2
  • Z06: Second trim to launch, with 5.5TT and revised bodywork. 750+ hp
  • Grand Sport: Third trim to launch with 5.5L NA and Z06 bodywork. 600+ hp
  • ZR1: Final trim to launch with 5.5TT, electrification, and unique bodywork 1,000 hp combined ICE and e-motor

tws123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium
The C8 is starting CHEAP. You gotta wonder why. Either they cut corners, there are quality issues, or GM is hurting and trying to do something to shake things up. either way, great thing for however many buyers there will be, but terrible for GM.
I have been buying corvettes since 1998 with some mustangs sprinkled in. The corvette pricing tends to stay about the same as the previous generation. The quality has stayed the same in my experience since 1998. The fit and finish has always been better than my mustangs. there is nothing to wonder the c8 will be stellar. gm will have price increases every 3 months or so but the discounts from the dealers get larger as the volume gets produced. one thing I really like about buying a corvette is you can buy from any dealer and take delivery at the corvette museum. they do a very thorough pdi.

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
As a life long Mustang owner and Corvette admirer I can say the C8 is the one. It's a game changer in the way the GT350 was due to the novelty and performance per dollar ratio. C8 vs GT500 is apples to oranges as to how they get the job done but in the end a GT500 (optioned how I like) at basically $80k vs a C8 Z51 at $65k-$70k is tough to pass on.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
It’s in the press release.
Have you seen anywhere a description of what safety tech features will come as standard on the new Corvette, or at least as an option? I.e., will it have collision avoidance/active braking, pedestrian awareness, blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, rear cross traffic alert, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise, auto-brights? Those are all on my Mustang with the "safe and smart" option. Disappointed the GT500 isn't offered with all of those features. Camaro, as well. In '18, I believe the Camaro only had the blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert as options. A differentiator for the GT in my book.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you seen anywhere a description of what safety tech features will come as standard on the new Corvette, or at least as an option? I.e., will it have collision avoidance/active braking, pedestrian awareness, blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, rear cross traffic alert, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise, auto-brights? Those are all on my Mustang with the "safe and smart" option. Disappointed the GT500 isn't offered with all of those features. Camaro, as well. In '18, I believe the Camaro only had the blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert as options. A differentiator for the GT in my book.
That stuff is also in the press release. Press release is on my computer at work. If I can find another way to access it I’ll post it.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
It’s in the press release. It’s also discussed in the video about Z51’s that is discussed on the Chevrolet.com website.
C7s are not as fast, handle as well, or ride as well without magneride. You appear to be correct that magneride continues to be a standalone option. Maybe it's not necessary to hit 0-60 under 3 seconds but it's for sure necessary to compete with magneride equipped GT350 & 500s.

You also seem to be right that the Z51 package will not be compounded with more expensive seats, so maybe it is possible to get a Z51 Magneride car for just under $70K.

EDIT - Out the door a GT350 is $60,235 with destination & delivery. So the C8 Z51 is still $10K more ($6-7K at best) for similar, maybe slightly better performance.

I'm not buying the 400lbs of Downforce with the as shown spoiler, since there is no mention or specifics on the tall spoiler. The ZR1 has a tall spoiler and it makes more Downforce than the decklid spoiler. I doubt the tall spoiler would make even more than 400lbs of downforce (assuming you were right that it was for the small one).

Last edited:

Sponsored

armsdealer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue Mustang GT Premium PP2
I don't want all that crap on my car.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7s are not as fast, handle as well, or ride as well without magneride. You appear to be correct that magneride continues to be a standalone option. Maybe it's not necessary to hit 0-60 under 3 seconds but it's for sure necessary to compete with magneride equipped GT350 & 500s.

You also seem to be right that the Z51 package will not be compounded with more expensive seats, so maybe it is possible to get a Z51 Magneride car for just under $70K.

I'm not buying the 400lbs of Downforce with the as shown spoiler, since there is no mention or specifics on the tall spoiler. The ZR1 has a tall spoiler and it makes more Downforce than the decklid spoiler. I doubt the tall spoiler would make even more than 400lbs of downforce (assuming you were right that it was for the small one).
From the press release.....

Z51 Performance Package, which introduces a host of new technology to the 2020 Stingray:
• Performance suspension with manually adjustable threaded spring seats
• Larger brake rotors with Z51 logo on calipers
• Enhanced cooling
• Specific axle ratio
• Front brake cooling inlets
• Performance exhaust
• An electronic limited slip differential integrated into the transaxle that modulates torque between the rear tires, enabling incredible vehicle stability.

• A front splitter and open two-piece rear spoiler that add up to a combined 400 pounds of downforce while improving grip when cornering
•Available Magnetic Ride Control 4.0, which reads the road better, providing more precise data through suspension-mounted accelerometers
Its improved electronics respond faster and more smoothly to driver inputs and contribute to class-leading ride quality
• Available Performance Traction Management

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I.e., will it have collision avoidance/active braking, pedestrian awareness, blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, rear cross traffic alert, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise, auto-brights? Those are all on my Mustang with the "safe and smart" option. Disappointed the GT500 isn't offered with all of those features. Camaro, as well.
Good god man, WHY?!?!?!
Do you subscribe to the braille method of driving? You're supposed to have your eyes open and scanning the road 7-10 seconds ahead. More dumb-ass computers programmed badly that even on their best are dramatically inferior to your ol' noggin'. If you want to just sit back and ponder the state of the world, hire a taxi or chauffeur.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Good god man, WHY?!?!?!
Do you subscribe to the braille method of driving? You're supposed to have your eyes open and scanning the road 7-10 seconds ahead. More dumb-ass computers programmed badly that even on their best are dramatically inferior to your ol' noggin'. If you want to just sit back and ponder the state of the world, hire a taxi or chauffeur.
I do scan, constantly. It's all just another layer of safety. By no means do I rely on any of it for driving.

I don't want all that crap on my car.
To each his own. I like having it all as another layer of safety. It's all fairly unobtrusive, and you can adjust the sensitivity for pretty much all of it or turn it off if desired.
Sponsored