Ford full Abuse test Coyote engine

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I certainly had never seen that article. I loved this motor already, didn't know it was the first v8 ever built specifically for the mustang. Just love how it revs. Like if Honda would make a nice v8(don't hate me). I'll take Fords v8 now though, haha.

After reading about the design, appreciate it that much more. Very cool to see all the thought that went into this beautiful engine.
Sponsored

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
"Oil temperature rises precipitously when the Coyote is revved more than 4,500 rpm for extended periods, and then an external oil-to-air cooler is vital. But those conditions can only be reached on a road-racing track, so the expensive cooler was ditched and engine management strategies were used to protect the engine during hot idles. [...] The engineers say the oil cools quickly as soon as you take your foot out of it, and the engine management will limit the torque output if the oil gets too hot."

I want all the torque I can get, so made me think phew, glad I got the performance package with the oil cooler. But a quick check and I was mistaken, at least for MY2019 it's not with PP1, turns out Ford decided to make it standard afterall.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
"Oil temperature rises precipitously when the Coyote is revved more than 4,500 rpm for extended periods, and then an external oil-to-air cooler is vital. But those conditions can only be reached on a road-racing track, so the expensive cooler was ditched and engine management strategies were used to protect the engine during hot idles. [...] The engineers say the oil cools quickly as soon as you take your foot out of it, and the engine management will limit the torque output if the oil gets too hot."

I want all the torque I can get, so made me think phew, glad I got the performance package with the oil cooler. But a quick check and I was mistaken, at least for MY2019 it's not with PP1, turns out Ford decided to make it standard afterall.
All GTs have an oil cooler, it's a liquid cooler and is part of the rad. The only thing the PP1/PP2 that the standard GTs don't is a much bigger radiator.

That article is really really old and it's kind of funny to read it given the failures we know the Coyote and Voodoo are capable of.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I had a 2011 GT that I bought in October 2010 and it ran for 190,000 miles when I sold it, and it was still running strong. At 180000 it was still putting down 390 to the rear wheels with a simple 91 tune. Only thing is it burned a whole lotta oil.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone here know the background to selection of "Coyote" as name for this engine?

You probably know that in the Southwest U.S. Coyote is a trickster, a bit devious.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Does anyone here know the background to selection of "Coyote" as name for this engine?

You probably know that in the Southwest U.S. Coyote is a trickster, a bit devious.
Probably because the Coyote "came after" the Roadrunner, which is the Boss 302 engine code name.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Probably because the Coyote "came after" the Roadrunner, which is the Boss 302 engine code name.
Aha!

So, why "Roadrunner"?

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1

On the engine programs, we all have code names because we don't want to tip off our direction in case anything leaks from a supplier or something. On this program, we decided to hold a contest among our small group to see if we could come up with a name. So we just sent out an email and took all these submissions from everybody.

"A lot of people got their kids involved and we had all sorts of colorful proposals, but ultimately we decided to go with one that came from John Norcott, who was one of our V-8 engine planners.

"He proposed 'Coyote' and we really liked the idea because it originated with A. J. Foyt's race team. He had a Four-Valve V-8-I believe it was back in 1969-and it was, to the best of our knowledge, the first Ford Four-Valve V-8 ever made.

"There were a lot of good synergies because we were really after the performance," Gary said. "We liked the idea of it being linked to an Indy engine, and when we actually saw that engine in the early days, when we came into our old Triple E building, many of us drooled over that engine. So it was just a natural fit."

"Of course, we had a big debate about Road Runner, Coyote, and some of the negative connotations of 'Coyote' that I won't bother with ... but we decided there was enough there that we would go with it, and it really stuck, too," he added.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
But the coyote came first, in 2011 while the roadrunner was introduced the following year in 2012 and was based on the coyote with some improved parts. So technically, the coyote came before the roadrunner.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
But the coyote came first, in 2011 while the roadrunner was introduced the following year in 2012 and was based on the coyote with some improved parts. So technically, the coyote came before the roadrunner.
Thanks for clarifying that. The Roadrunner was always out running the Coyote, so maybe that makes more sense.

DesertRat5115

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Velocity Blue Stock + 275/40R18-9.5 Square
I just bought my new Mustang a three weeks back after being "Mustangless" since I sold my 2006 GT years ago to help buy a house and it was good to see this. As someone who's been driving other things since 2009, this was all news to me.

In my first week I just couldn't resist playing around with the paddles and I abused my engine a bit like a moron. One morning just out of the driveway and off of my street with only about a minute for the engine to warm up max, I made the mistake of hitting the down paddle twice when downshifting to first while stopping before turning onto the main road, so despite being in drive (not sport / sport+ mode), it stayed in first gear instead of shifting as it normally would (not mentioned in the manual from what I see). When I went out on the main street the engine reached redline amazingly fast compared to my previous cars, catching me off-guard, and partially still asleep, it took me a couple of seconds at 7500 RPM to get over the shock and realize that things weren't happening as expected. I was expecting it to shift at or right before redline but apparently hitting the down paddle twice at first locks you into manual shifts.

I've felt so bad (and stupid) since then for running an engine with only 600 miles on it and 90 degree oil (outside temp that morning in Phoenix) at redline for at least two seconds and worried that maybe I hurt the engine. After reading about the kind of abuse these engines can stand up to in testing I now feel a bit better. Obviously I don't want to make a habit out of this type of stupid abuse and won't, but it's comforting to hear how tough the coyote is, as I intend to put that high-revving V8 to full use for years, after proper warm-ups and finishing a proper break-in period of course. Best bang for the buck car ever made IMO.

Anyway, feel free to laugh at the new guy, glad to join the forum.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
When my car came in it was dog on the test drive so the salesman drove it on the way back and beat the snot out of it, only *after* that it occurring to him that there's this "transport mode" and they must've forgotten to take it out of that.

Anyways, I figure I'll just get the Ford ESP PremiumCare extended warranty (that should also cover all the electronic stuff you can get on these cars) right before the factory one expires and just not worry about it.
Sponsored