Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ever since the S197 received its major '10MY refresh, the tracking of prototypes and insider information regarding "the next Mustang" has been one of my favorite pastimes. It was pretty easy to piece together the parts of the puzzle and work out the timelines for each refresh.........up until now, that is.

There are conflicting reports as to what's coming next, and when. I guess part of this is down to changing plans at Ford. We know there's been massive change since Jim Hackett came onboard, with a number of nameplates being given the boot, and the focus on trucks, SUVs and electrification. Within all that, I'm sure whatever plans Ford had for Mustang have been updated and timeimes impacted.

There was a strong assumption Mustang would move to CD6, the RWD platform that underpins the new Explorer and Aviator. That may still happen, but if current rumors are to be believed, that won't happen for a good few years. This new 7th Gen Mustang is what we assumed would be S650. But, now it seems some in the know think S550 will carry on with significant updates. The most recent guestimates from Automobile are:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/next-ford-mustang-details-on-sale-info/

"One source says the CD6 Mustang, which goes by the codename S650, appears to be delayed at least to the 2026 model year, while another source guesses 2028 or 2029, either of which makes it less of a product plan than a promise to keep building the icon. In the interim, the S550 Mustang will receive a major mid-cycle facelift to update its current D2C platform and reskin it with new sheetmetal from nose to tail, which will require some underbody work. It’s the mid-cycle D2C update that will spawn a Mustang hybrid, although that car is said to be delayed slightly from the 2021 model year to early in calendar-year 2022"

In terms of prototypes, only 3 have been spotted in recent months. One has relatively light camo (the white one, below) which seems to indicate a new model based on the current car (I'm still wishing for the Mach 1!!). The other two are slightly more hacked about (the Royal Crimson and Bullitt models, below). On these, the only significant change we can see are relocated from turn signals/foglights......they are higher up, closer to the headlamps). Now, such minor changes do not reflect the "major mid-cycle facelift with new sheetmetal from nose to tail", as reported by Automobile.

So, what does all this mean? My thoughts (for what they are worth).

'21MY - a very minor update with the relocated turn signal/foglights (what this means for the white prototype, I'm not sure!!)

'23MY - significant refresh, as described by Automobile, with new sheetmetal from nose to tail (we haven't seen these prototypes yet)

'26MY++ - Move to CD6/S650

These are just my musings.....but I'd be interested to hear the views of others :)
21MY facelift 1.jpg
21MY facelift 2.jpg
21MY Facelift 3.jpg
21MY facelift 4.jpg
21MY Mach 1.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
IMO all new sheet metal on the same platform is a smart idea cost wise. It would also satisfy the market for change.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
'21MY - a very minor update with the relocated turn signal/foglights (what this means for the white prototype, I'm not sure!!)
My thought exactly and the Mach 1 to replace the Bullitt

'23MY - significant refresh, as described by Automobile, with new sheetmetal from nose to tail (we haven't seen these prototypes yet)

This would be very good would help keep cost down and boost sales like the SN95 got when it became the New Edge SN95

26MY++ - Move to CD6/S650

Just hope Mustang doesn't become Challenger in size as some have speculated

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Interesting article. I’m not surprised at all. That the next gen won’t drop til 2025-26. Most modern generations of Mustangs. have ran 10 years or more. The fox body ran forever. The SN95 ran 10 years. And Ecovert made a good point about how the new edge. Added greatly to the SN95 platform. I’m ok with a bigger car. If it helps keep sporty cars around. Hell the 71-73 Mustang was one of my all time favorites. And that was a big bitch.

Last edited:

Mhjr74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKS, Ford Explorer
The front fender appears to be slightly flared on the white one. Possible wide body version?

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

FatBurritoEater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1 (Race Red)
Any possibility they put a DCT into the S550 GT similar to the Shelby? Or will they ride this 10 speed until the end of the generation.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I very much doubt it. Like the flat plane crank in the GT350, the DCT will be unique to the GT500. I hate to think how much extra $$ it would add to the cost of a GT if they were to consider it.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Any possibility they put a DCT into the S550 GT similar to the Shelby? Or will they ride this 10 speed until the end of the generation.
The 10 speed is a hell of a transmission. I just wish someone made that available to swap into the 6r80 cars.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Hell the 71-73 Mustang was one of my all time favorites. And that was a big bitch.
LOL, here are some numbers for you, 71 vs 17 MY:

Length 189.5/188.3
Width 74.1/75.4
Height 50.1/54.4
Wheelbase 109/107.1
Front track 61.5/62.3
Rear track 61/64.9
Turn radius 39.8’/36.5’

So it looks like our current car is about the same size as that “big bitch”!