Sponsored

Mach 1 trademark filed by Ford....again!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm so[/] hoping this prototype is for a Mach 1. I can't believe this hasn't been spotted again yet (this was originally seen on 18th April).

Just for the record....the ideal spec would be:

5.2 CPC n/a V8 (525 hp / 440 lb/ft)
10-speed auto or 6 speed manual
20" wheels......295 tires out back, 275 up front
MagneRide suspension (lowered 1" over stock)
Unique "Mach 1" interior trim
Unique "Mach 1" exterior graphics
Unique hood
Unique front fascia

nqfxjkbnuzi19djhecwk622_71frekdpef8smvroxuj4oy13r0cap7qv1uyjrvf1cdryw-_nc_ht-scontent-lht6-1-jpg.jpg

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Motor Company has filed a trademark application for the term Mach 1, Ford Authority has uncovered.

Assigned serial number 88485615 and filed on June 24th, 2019, the filing indicates that it will be used in conjunction with the following goods and services:

• Land motor vehicles, namely, automobiles and their engines < this is the good part :like:
  • Vehicle rooftop carriers
  • Spare tire covers
  • Fitted motor vehicle covers
  • Bug deflectors for motor vehicles
  • Mud flaps for motor vehicles
  • Trailer hitch receiver plugs for motor vehicles
  • Sunshades for motor vehicles
  • License plate frames for motor vehicles
  • Windshields for motor vehicles
  • Windows for motor vehicles
  • Wheels for motor vehicles
  • Hub caps for motor vehicle wheels

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Haha....just seen that. Not sure the shaker works on the S550......I'd need to see it in the metal :)
Shaker 1.jpg
Shaker 2.jpg

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
69 style rear quarter scoop is nice as is the Mag 500 wheels. My fav of all time.
Just needs some honeycomb rear deck treatment & sport lights in the grill :)

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
I really don't think the shaker looks hood on the 2018+ stock hood, nor do I think it'd look much better on the 2015-17. When you have something like that, it should be the focal point of the hood, and it being flanked by vents and character lines makes for a very busy hood environment.

Ideally, something like a GT350 hood without the vent would be a perfect home for a shaker. I always thought the GT350 hood looked more like a 69/70 hood, with the way the cowl wraps around the base of the windshield, the more pronounced fender spears, and even the front end of the hood has a very slight V shaped character line reminiscent of the 69 hood's big spear.

Hell, I think I'm talking myself into a project.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
A retro naca in the same place as the current vents that is actually plumed to the cold air box wood be titties. Hood treatment like the 71-73 and I think the current hood would lend itself well to that.

A shaker Has to be functional. That shaker pic above does not look to be.
My coyote idles flat line at an amazingly miezly 600ish rpm & ...not much shaken goin on. Form should follow function when allowed.
How bout
Optional Q code 5.2 Cobra Jet
And an R code Super Cobra Jet ...FI
That would sell

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I posted this in the "the next refresh" thread, but worth posting here. Originally, Ford were planning on calling the forthcoming "Mustang inspired SUV" the Mach 1. Backlash from Mustang fans forced Ford to back track a little, and that car is now going to be called Mach E.

However, we also know there's a hybrid Mustang coming and its likely to be the 5.0 Coyote with electrical assist. Whilst I'd always wanted an S550 to have a unique 5.2 CPC V8 (well, I still do!), I'd actually welcome the Mach 1 being a V8 hybrid. How would 500hp / 550lb/ft sound? Give it the unique Mach 1 styling cues and that would be a dream Mustang (if done right) for me.

:like:

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Haha....just seen that. Not sure the shaker works on the S550......I'd need to see it in the metal :)
It looks good but what I am hearing from cdc is they have it mated to a no tune pmas cai and plan to include that as only cai or air box to connect to it. So it makes less attractive. Older one could mate to stock air box

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
While a hybrid 5.0 will be awesome in the performance department (apparently the next gen Hellcat will be similar in approach), Mach 1 was always the old school muscle car trim to me, like the Boss 302 was the stripped down track special, which Ford stayed true to in 2012-13. Though, out of all of the old retro trims available, Mach 1 does seem like the best fit if that's the approach Ford will go, but I actually doubt it. I point to the latest release of the 2020 EcoBoost "High Performance" trim, which I think many people here would have been fine with Ford calling it an SVO, but Ford relented and actually stated that an SVO would need to have a special front end, spoiler, and hood, as well as a dedicated suspension set up to be a proper SVO. So, that's Ford's methodology towards these trims. There's a certain reverence for the old monikers.

Its hard to say what the Mach 1 will eventually be. You may very well be right in that they'd introduce it as a hybrid. MSRP would probably be Shelby GT350 money or more, so I suspect the GT350 will have to go away before the Mach 1 can fit into the current landscape if it is indeed a hybrid. You'd also lose your dedicated, nimble track car in the process and end up with two bruisers with the GT500 and Mach 1 in the line up.

Something tells me the Mach 1 will probably be a little more basic in approach. Like, a 5.2 Predator minus the supercharger, with the usual bits of trim and graphics you'd want on a Mach 1. I highly suspect the Mach 1 will fill the Bullitt's slot in the line up, rather than the GT350's, in terms of price point. This would make the Mach 1 more approachable for the average Joe, which is what Mach 1 traditionally was. I would really love to see them use the 5.2 with the Cobra Jet manifold in a factory set up, and have an up-trim for a Super Cobra Jet option for drag racing in keeping with the old Mach 1 tradition. They already have everything they need on hand right now. This would slot the Mach 1 in as direct competition for the 392s, with the Super Cobra Jet gunning for the 1320 Edition Challenger.

Really, the most mysterious aspect of a potential future Mach 1 remains the hood treatment. I really doubt Ford would throw the old shaker on this car and call it a day. A NACA hood would be a really cool approach and fit better with the current face of the car, especially with the proper black out treatment. Or, like I've said before, something like what Chevy did with the ZL1/ZR1, which is kind of like a modern take on the shaker, which is to vent out hot air instead of ram in cool air from a less than ideal location. Let's face it; shaker scoops aren't the most efficient induction set ups on these cars. And everyone except for Dodge is all about big vents instead of big scoops these days.

There's a lot of potential with a modern Mach 1 no matter how you slice it. Its an exciting proposition!

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I absolutely agree with your thinking and I'd still prefer the Mach 1 to be a "traditional" model with a pure V8. Let's not forget the Mach 1 trim replaced the "GT" from '69.......although of course, back then, there was a massive choice of engine/trans options to choose from.

I liked the idea of the '03/'04 Mach 1 which sat nicely between the GT and the Cobra, effectively using a n/a Cobra motor. I still think a new Mach 1 could sit between the GT and the GT500, using a n/a CPC 5.2 V8. I even think there'd be room for both this AND the GT350, despite both being of similar price points. Keep the GT350 the paired back (in terms of luxury) manual only track focused car........and make the Mach 1 the more luxurious version for aligned to being a street monster, with 10-speed auto an option.

I guess this is where I think the hybrid version would make sense. The GT350 is a high-revving screamer.......the Mach 1 with either the 5,2 CPC or even "just" the 5.0......but with an extra 200 lb/ft torque from the electric motors. That would make it a street light to street light monster!
Sponsored