Sponsored

Upgraded to Brembos from base GT 4 pistons. One man's opinion.

OP
OP
Thub

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
I also read and watched Vorschlag's video regarding the upgrade. What I don't get is; if he installed new brakes calipers, pads, and rotors, shouldn't he been seasoning the rotors and bedding the pads prior to the track day? And since seasoning and bedding requires several high-speed stops, shouldn't he be able to tell something was wrong?
A high speed stop to bed in the brakes is usually different from a full on track style stop. I feel safe assuming he properly bedded them in. Using the same pad on both axles isn't something that G-loc recommends though. (Their description sometimes say "good for front brakes at x weight" ). I think he threw off his bias that way.

Are we sure the master cylinder handles brake bias in the first place?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
G-LOC pads are able to be bought pre-bed (thermocycled). All that's needed after that is to put a transfer layer on a fresh rotor, or nothing at all if you're already using G-LOC pads with your rotors.

zirfj312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Has anyone used the Hawk Performance HP+ with the PP Brembos?

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I just read on CJ Pony Parts a review of this PP Brembo Ford upgrade kit and that their ABS stopped working with their 17GT 6 speed auto. Could this really be true? I'd like to install this 6 piston Brembo kit on my 17GT, but not if I lose ABS.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I just read on CJ Pony Parts a review of this PP Brembo Ford upgrade kit and that their ABS stopped working with their 17GT 6 speed auto. Could this really be true? I'd like to install this 6 piston Brembo kit on my 17GT, but not if I lose ABS.
Sounds fishy...
I think there are many people with the brembo upgrade and a auto and no problems.

I just am finally about to install mine soon. I will let you know if I have any issues.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Yes, you can find anything on the internet... I'm very interested in what you find.

I have pretty much decided to upgrade my 17GT CS to GT PP specs with the Brembo upgrades and the FMS PP, or track, suspension. But, if the Brembo 6 piston upgrades don't work with the standard GT setup with ABS I'll probably buy a 19GT PP and sell my 17GT.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Yes, you can find anything on the internet... I'm very interested in what you find.

I have pretty much decided to upgrade my 17GT CS to GT PP specs with the Brembo upgrades and the FMS PP, or track, suspension. But, if the Brembo 6 piston upgrades don't work with the standard GT setup with ABS I'll probably buy a 19GT PP and sell my 17GT.
If I recall. I think somebody looked it up but I don't the ABS parts, brake booster etc part numbers are not any different than PP and non PP Mustangs.
Would have to do a search on here again to confirm.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If I recall. I think somebody looked it up but I don't the ABS parts, brake booster etc part numbers are not any different than PP and non PP Mustangs.
Would have to do a search on here again to confirm.
The ABS module for the PP has different programming and the booster has a different amount of assist. There's absolutely no reason the ABS will stop working by swapping to the brembos. They work absolutely fine on road and track here, and abs functions as it should.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
The ABS module for the PP has different programming and the booster has a different amount of assist. There's absolutely no reason the ABS will stop working by swapping to the brembos. They work absolutely fine on road and track here, and abs functions as it should.
So your 6 piston Brembo upgrade works as it should? That's what I want to hear. I'm getting into the HPDE scene and want to upgrade the front brakes.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
So your 6 piston Brembo upgrade works as it should? That's what I want to hear. I'm getting into the HPDE scene and want to upgrade the front brakes.
Absolutely. I have put on about 20K miles since upgrading to the Brembos. This includes several track days and a Chicago winter. Brakes (and ABS) function flawlessly under all conditions.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. Works great. With the correct pad stagger, it functions perfectly. As has been mentioned by another who did the MC swap for other reasons (contamination), he simply noticed a change in how much pedal displacement was required to do the same thing, which is exactly as expected.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Has anyone used the Hawk Performance HP+ with the PP Brembos?
I run the HPS 5.0. They dust wayyyy more than stock ever did, have good initial bite, but are trash on the track. I'm going back to stock PP pads next.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I run the HPS 5.0. They dust wayyyy more than stock ever did, have good initial bite, but are trash on the track. I'm going back to stock PP pads next.
Try GLOC for track use. The R10 F, R8 rear or R12/R10 combo works fantastic. They are loud and dust a lot for street use though. The GS-1 is very nice for the street: low dust, good brake power, and excellent modulation characteristics.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Absolutely. I have put on about 20K miles since upgrading to the Brembos. This includes several track days and a Chicago winter. Brakes (and ABS) function flawlessly under all conditions.
This is what I need to hear. I'll move forward with the brake upgrade. Thanks!

Also, I understand that I do not need to replace my GT rear calipers and discs as they're the same as the PP?

I'm also planning to use the Ford PP brake pads, front and rear, as they seem to be the best compromise between street and track pads.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Also, I understand that I do not need to replace my GT rear calipers and discs as they're the same as the PP?
Correct.
Sponsored