Sponsored

STRUT QUESTION--- I NEED YOUR WISDOM AND ADVICE...........

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
I need your advice on the "Handling Package" for the $1,500. It comes with the "Gurney Flap" which is what I really want. The front wicker splitters which look nice. But I "suspect" where you are really spending the bulk of that $1,500 is on the "STRUTS". So here's my question: If I go with the struts is this car going to right rougher than running around on a camel??? Not trying to be funny but I thought for the kind of money we are all spending that this car would have the "4 settings" like my Redeye Hellcat had which was basically highway cruising, sport, track, and Old Lady Mode. It truly surprises me that they would offer something like this because I "assume" the car will be "equipped" with several different handling packages???? I googled the difference between "struts" and "shocks" so have a good basic understanding of the difference. BUT WHAT IAM REALLY ASKING IS IF I GET THE STRUTS IS THIS THING GOING TO RIDE SO ROUGH THAT IT WILL DRIVE ME CRAZY EVERYTIME I HIT THE SMALLEST OF BUMPS IN THE ROAD????? BY THE WAY ALL YOU GUYS ARE TRULY GREAT. I APPRECIATE YOU PUTTING UP WITH AN OLD MAN LIKE ME.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Short answer is yes it'll ride ruffer. Go drive a ZL1. Then drive a ZLe. I imagine that will give you an idea of the difference in ride.

Wilson & Co

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang-less
It comes with magneride.

Handling pack is just flap and splitters from what I can tell. Some have hinted at a differently tuned suspension but i doubt it.

And for 1500 dont need it. I will buy what pieces I want in time to keep it fun

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Dude, it's just front camber plates - and that's if it's even still part of that package. The suspension adjustments, basic suspension, etc., is all the same. This is NOT like a ZL1 vs. a ZL1 1LE by any stretch.

Side note: the Gurney flap looks a little goofy on a street car, the wing looks killer by itself.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Chuck, all S550 Mustangs are the same in that the front uses a MacPherson strut and a shock out back. Ford pays a royalty fee to use the tecnology originally patented by Delphi (but now Bejing West) that they call Magneride. There are multiple modes that cover every base, including comfort. There is a noticeable difference between each. The Handling Package will still have a mode suited for relaxed cruising without jarring your teeth.

Some have hinted at a differently tuned suspension but i doubt it.
Ford absolutely will tune the Handling Package struts and shocks differently to best match frequencies for each combination. Ford will match bar rates, spring rates, etc, including the fact that each combination may use different downforce hardware as well.

Sponsored

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Handling package is talking about adjustable strut tophats to dial in more negitive camber for track use. This will not change the harshness of the ride at all. Good luck with your purchase.

Wilson & Co

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang-less
Chuck, all S550 Mustangs are the same in that the front uses a MacPherson strut and a shock out back. Ford pays a royalty fee to use the tecnology originally patented by Delphi (but now Bejing West) that they call Magneride. There are multiple modes that cover every base, including comfort. There is a noticeable difference between each. The Handling Package will still have a mode suited for relaxed cruising without jarring your teeth.

Ford absolutely will tune the Handling Package struts and shocks differently to best match frequencies for each combination. Ford will match bar rates, spring rates, etc, including the fact that each combination may use different downforce hardware as well.
Are you saying there are different springs/bars in the handling package vs base?

I wish this was more clear in guide.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Chuck, just check the box and pay the $1500. It's worth it. Don't waste another second thinking about it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Are you saying there are different springs/bars in the handling package vs base?

I wish this was more clear in guide.
It does need to be clarified with more detail and likely will be down the road a bit. I can only say that each version (Base, Handling Package, CF Track Package) will be tuned to match the hardware that makes that version unique. Different tires (4S versus Cup2's) as well as different amounts of downforce mandate different tuning (along with the aforementioned hardware).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I need your advice on the "Handling Package" for the $1,500. It comes with the "Gurney Flap" which is what I really want. The front wicker splitters which look nice. But I "suspect" where you are really spending the bulk of that $1,500 is on the "STRUTS". So here's my question: If I go with the struts is this car going to right rougher than running around on a camel??? Not trying to be funny but I thought for the kind of money we are all spending that this car would have the "4 settings" like my Redeye Hellcat had which was basically highway cruising, sport, track, and Old Lady Mode. It truly surprises me that they would offer something like this because I "assume" the car will be "equipped" with several different handling packages???? I googled the difference between "struts" and "shocks" so have a good basic understanding of the difference. BUT WHAT IAM REALLY ASKING IS IF I GET THE STRUTS IS THIS THING GOING TO RIDE SO ROUGH THAT IT WILL DRIVE ME CRAZY EVERYTIME I HIT THE SMALLEST OF BUMPS IN THE ROAD????? BY THE WAY ALL YOU GUYS ARE TRULY GREAT. I APPRECIATE YOU PUTTING UP WITH AN OLD MAN LIKE ME.
This isn't going to be the car for anyone looking for a cushy muscle car ride. It'll ride well in comfort/normal mode, but it'll be firmer than most every car on the road.

Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
IMO Chevy did a little miscalculation with the DSSV on the ZL1 1LE ... turned off a good portion of buyers, maybe ZR1 could work but not many use that as a daily driver... Ford was right sticking with MR for the new 500.

1stMustang-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR070, 2019 Ranger Lariat
This is why each dealer has a "Shelby' trained sales person on site to navigate the vagueness in the order guide. However, I agree that you should just get the handling package and call it a day. The car will ride like a cloud going through a tornado.

OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Handling package is talking about adjustable strut tophats to dial in more negitive camber for track use. This will not change the harshness of the ride at all. Good luck with your purchase.
When you say "DIAL IN" are you talking about something that "I CAN DO INSIDE THE CAR" or would I have to take it to the dealer and he puts it on the "setting" that I want?????

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Chuck, just check the box and be done with this insanity. It's not an $18.5k CFTP.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Search camber plates.
Sponsored