Sponsored

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package, 330 HP / 350 LB-FT, 0-60 mid 4's [Updated With Video]

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Past the usual magazine article proclamations, I've never seen anything officially released by from Ford regarding it's performance. I did see an interview with the chief engineer on the project talking about the time and effort spent working with the design team to conform with the style choices while still having it remain "aerodynamically neutral".

The PP2 splitter is certainly the real deal though.
I'm pretty sure I was thinking of the new GT350 wing... I think maybe the lines got blurred somewhere haha
Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I'm pretty sure I was thinking of the new GT350 wing... I think maybe the lines got blurred somewhere haha
Look Gang both cars are great in their own ways. Comparing them back and forth will only stir up animosity big time and piss people off. If you like the Ecoboost so be it. Buy one and drive it like you stole it. I prefer the GT and always will so I'll drive mine like I stole it and smile while I'm doing it. As a side note my Honey has a 2017 Escape Ecoboost and this is a great car as well so there!

Reactions: Cxp

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Almost all Ducs are V-twins. The old Honda VFR's are V-4's and sound fantastic- like 1/2 of a V8.
Which is still a 4 cylinder :p
But yea, I was actually thinking of the Triumph SF :D

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Look Gang both cars are great in their own ways. Comparing them back and forth will only stir up animosity big time and piss people off. If you like the Ecoboost so be it. Buy one and drive it like you stole it. I prefer the GT and always will so I'll drive mine like I stole it and smile while I'm doing it. As a side note my Honey has a 2017 Escape Ecoboost and this is a great car as well so there!
Agreed. Like I said in a previous post, it's not a bad car at all! I think it's an excellent car (it's a Mustang, how could it not be?). However, I feel like it is overpriced for the car you get and for what else you could get in the same price range. I feel like the GT is the better bargain. That's not to say the Ecoboost isn't a good car, it's just not quite there

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Which is still a 4 cylinder :p
But yea, I was actually thinking of the Triumph SF :D
A V-Twin is a 2 cyl engine... like a Harley. Ducs are 90 deg v-twin engines. There are tons of great inline 4 cyl engines like the Yamaha R1's, Suzuki GSXR's etc. Most of the Triumphs are inline 2 or 3 cyl engines and they also sound fantastic.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Agreed. Like I said in a previous post, it's not a bad car at all! I think it's an excellent car (it's a Mustang, how could it not be?). However, I feel like it is overpriced for the car you get and for what else you could get in the same price range. I feel like the GT is the better bargain. That's not to say the Ecoboost isn't a good car, it's just not quite there
We really won't know until we see some tests and reviews. I suspect it will surprise people but only be worth the extra money to a select group. I'd be surprised if FP didn't offer a tune for it as well at some point.
On the weight thing- 200 lbs is actually quite significant, about a 5% increase. Especially over the front wheels. It's the equivalent of a fairly heavy passenger. I worked in aerospace as an engineer for a number of years and the difference 5% makes on load, stress and CG is enormous as G forces increase. That's why everything on a Mustang has to be so much beefier than say a Miata. In engineering, it's all percentages.
That said, I do think the base GT is the bang for the buck winner as a DD- excluding autocross and The Tail of the Dragon ;)

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
On the weight thing- 200 lbs is actually quite significant, about a 5% increase. Especially over the front wheels. It's the equivalent of a fairly heavy passenger. I worked in aerospace as an engineer for a number of years and the difference 5% makes on load, stress and CG is enormous as G forces increase. That's why everything on a Mustang has to be so much beefier than say a Miata. In engineering, it's all percentages.
While i agree that 200 lbs would be a significant difference...
1. it's not quite 200lbs, it's closer to 150lbs
2. That's base to base, which we all know the base Ecoboost is less equipped than the GT... smaller rotors, smaller calipers, less cooling proficiencies, less beefy suspension and chassis components, etc.

The HiPo will likely weigh pretty close to the same as the GT, considering it has a lot of the GT's components, and have about the same CG (if not a bit higher of a CG, due to the inline engine and turbo location). I really don't think the weight difference is going to be an advantage in that car

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
A V-Twin is a 2 cyl engine... like a Harley. Ducs are 90 deg v-twin engines. There are tons of great inline 4 cyl engines like the Yamaha R1's, Suzuki GSXR's etc. Most of the Triumphs are inline 2 or 3 cyl engines and they also sound fantastic.
I know, it's like how many Ferrari's are kinda running two 4 cylinder engines side-by-side, but, at the end of the day, it's very much splitting hairs to say it's not a 4 cylinder engine. It's not a traditional 4 cylinder to be sure. :p
And, my post was in reference to the claim that "no 4 cylinder engines sound good".

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
The GT can easily match the Eco's weight with some minor modifications, just like the eco will easily increase to the GTs weight with a few upgraded components from the GT
Or you can make some "minor modifications" to lighten your EB and still have it be noticeably lighter than even a lightened GT. Which is what I did to my EB.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
While i agree that 200 lbs would be a significant difference...
1. it's not quite 200lbs, it's closer to 150lbs
2. That's base to base, which we all know the base Ecoboost is less equipped than the GT... smaller rotors, smaller calipers, less cooling proficiencies, less beefy suspension and chassis components, etc.

The HiPo will likely weigh pretty close to the same as the GT, considering it has a lot of the GT's components, and have about the same CG (if not a bit higher of a CG, due to the inline engine and turbo location). I really don't think the weight difference is going to be an advantage in that car
tpy2q84.gif

The EB/HPP will weight the same as the current EB/PP as it has basically the same PP components minus some minor changes. It certainly won't gain 150 pounds.

Weight distribution on the EB/PP is 52/48 making it the most balanced Mustang to date vs. the GT 53/47 and GT350 54/46.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Mercedes-AMG has come out with 2 turbo 4cylinder motors, a 382 Hp and a 416 hp. If they can hit 382, I would assume (yeah yeah I know) Ford could get there as well. Hopefully the HiPo will be somewhere close.

I know, Ford is talking 330hp, but come on, should be able to get to at least 375. Maybe not with the current (or somewhat new) block and internals, but, a 360 - 375 hp turbo 4 would be 1) a true HiPo option, 2) appeal to those who don't want the fuel milage issues of a V-8, 3) compete with a larger group of vechicles, both on and off the track.

I know, i know, "V-8 or nothing!" "4 Cyl can never compete with a V-8" yada yada yada. Ford has always (to the best of my knowledge, although, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) offered an option to the V-8. A 370+/- hp turb 4 would be a great option. Hopefully if Mercedes can do it, Ford can figure out a way to get close to it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...he-m139-a-416-hp-4-cylinder-engine/ar-AACvjSW

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Mercedes-AMG has come out with 2 turbo 4cylinder motors, a 382 Hp and a 416 hp. If they can hit 382, I would assume (yeah yeah I know) Ford could get there as well. Hopefully the HiPo will be somewhere close.

I know, Ford is talking 330hp, but come on, should be able to get to at least 375. Maybe not with the current (or somewhat new) block and internals, but, a 360 - 375 hp turbo 4 would be 1) a true HiPo option, 2) appeal to those who don't want the fuel milage issues of a V-8, 3) compete with a larger group of vechicles, both on and off the track.

I know, i know, "V-8 or nothing!" "4 Cyl can never compete with a V-8" yada yada yada. Ford has always (to the best of my knowledge, although, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) offered an option to the V-8. A 370+/- hp turb 4 would be a great option. Hopefully if Mercedes can do it, Ford can figure out a way to get close to it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...he-m139-a-416-hp-4-cylinder-engine/ar-AACvjSW
The 2.3 is the entry level Musrang and Ford is not going to let it outshine the 5.0 in any way so Ford is sandbagging the 2.3 RS.

Ford could easily get 400/400 out of the 2.3 RS but that would make it too close to the GT. The HPP is as quick as a 2015-2017 GT to 60 so anymore HP and the HPP/HP would be a 4 second car that will also out handle the GT/PP. Not going to happen from the factory.
Sponsored

Last edited: