liv2roc

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt/cs ,2004 Mustang Mach1, 1984 mustang gt 350
I just wonder if it could just be a spark-knock these are high compression engines and maybe the cam phasers are not working right at low rpm's. Has anyone actually know of one blowing up. if its a rod bearing as many out there ticking there has to be some that has spun one. My first engine was replaced for piston slap it was before I had the car but would think it would sound different.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Has anyone actually know of one blowing up. if its a rod bearing as many out there ticking there has to be some that has spun one. My first engine was replaced for piston slap it was before I had the car but would think it would sound different.
Nope, as I stated in the other tick thread...

Until there are documented engine failures directly caused by this tick nothing will happen. There will be no recalls, fixes or investigations since it is not considered a safety issue. You either deal with it or sell the car and move on. Sucks.. but that is the reality of this situation.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeah, but the very last part, "Unless this is a high RPM engine" is exactly what we have. And not just high RPM, but also high compression at 12:1.

You may be right, but I really want to hear that confirmation from Ford. Otherwise, there's no way to truly make it a certainty.
Not many guys keep their engine at high RPM for extended time except those who track. Besides, the article said "could", not "will". Don't know if anyone here who has the tick and tracks their car heavily has noticed any changes happen ftom it. If it could cause damage I'd think it would be minor and take a while to show up.

Ford will never say exactly what the cause is. Someone will have to prove it with experimentation. It could be done by taking a heavily ticking engine, verify if it has excessive rod side clearance, and if so then remove the rod caps and modify them to bring the side clearance (rod side movement) back to spec and see if the ticking stops. If the only thing that was changed is the distance the rods can slide on the crank journal, and the ticking stopped (with no oil additives), then that would prove it.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just wonder if it could just be a spark-knock these are high compression engines and maybe the cam phasers are not working right at low rpm's.
Can't be those things if it starts ticking right after an oil change, or stops right after adding something like Ceratec to the oil. We know the typewriter/BBQ tick is directly affected by the oil composition.

OP
OP
liv2roc

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
this is one thing that bugs me I have a California special and it is a non performance pack car and has no oil pressure gauge. not even in the dash cluster. what kind of moron builds a performance car and does not put a oil pressure gauge in it? oh I forgot Ford had to save a dime so they left it out. I bought my first new ford mustang gt in 1984 and have owed a lot of Fords including 9 mustangs and this will be my last Ford I will buy.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you guys seen this? A guy says he made the tick go away using PUP 5w30, and regular Rislone additive. I used PUP 5w30, and it did not affect the tick, but this guy says when he added Rislone, it went away. Here's the thing. Rislone is basically just a cleansing agent from what I know. It's really good for unclogging lifters and removing sludge from low flow areas. It's not really a serious friction modifier as far as I know. Now, the new Nano Prime Rislone is a friction modifier, but not the regular formula.

I wonder why it worked for him? is it possible the tick is something that is sticking? Like a lifter? heck, I dunno.

Here's the guys follow-up video after getting his oil changed, going to 5W-30 and no oil additive this time. If the tick was caused by oil cavitation, it should have came back after the oil change, but it didn't.

JRuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just let it be. You still have a couple of years warranty on it. If something breaks, have it fixed than.
AMEN!!!!!
Yep - and this site is full of bullshit theories.

Drive the damn car and quit listening to it. You have tons of moving parts - 4 cams, chains, 4 valves per cylinder and all that goes with that, it is a lovely beast with tons of moving parts that will give off weird sounds.
AMEN!!!!!

OP
OP
liv2roc

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
I put in a bottle of Ceretec and the tick instantly stopped. we will see if it comes back.

MKMotorsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Convertible
Rislone is mostly ZDDP. You could try any ZDDP additive. I've tried other ZDDP additives on mine to no avail. Modern oil has all ZDDP stripped out of it for emissions component longevity reasons. Adding a ZDDP additive and using it long term will presumably kill your cats (it would probably take a LONG time).

That being said the Rislone must be doing something else- (probably altering the viscosity) as in my testing ZDDP itself did not fix it. There are also high ZDDP content motor oils that have it in it already and are designed to work with that oil add pack and chemistry. Mixing and matching oil additives with different oils add packs is rolling the dice somewhat as the chemistry may not be compatible.
Sponsored