Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I spent 6 years working in the automotive field. I would suggest you go OEM glass every time.
Sponsored

limited02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
Ask the glass shop if you can get any discounts. I have State Farm and using Safelite to replace my windshield, I think I got a 10% savings because of that. The cost of OEM vs aftermarket was less than $100 and I went aftermarket because my previous experience was great.

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Dang that's crazy $$$!!!!

Has anyone tried the windshield repair kits for small stone chips? If so, do they do okay?
I successfully repaired two cracks with those 3M kits. Still holding up, but now I have a third crack elsewhere... The hardest part is creating a bullseye, as it usually makes a bigger crack.

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I'm surprised more people don't have a rider on their policy. Mine I think is 45 a year. On my Legacy (w/Eyesight) I had 3 windshields done in two years. No charge. On my Mustang I got a chip and Safelite was out same day w/ repair- no charge. I'm in Colorado though and a lot of rocks etc are flying around...

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I've cracked almost every windshield I've owned (lots of hwy driving with rocks flying at you from trucks. Always gone aftermarket and never cracked again. Just read reviews and do your research online before buying.

Also make sure whos installing it does a good job. Last windshield replaced was fine but installer bent a piece of roof trim and left excess sealant on the pillar.

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I wonder how noticeable it would be to have aftermarket glass without the Soundscreen technology?

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I wonder how noticeable it would be to have aftermarket glass without the Soundscreen technology?
I have after market glass from Satellite and I notice ZERO difference in sound coming from the windshield. OEM is "soundscreen" and after market is "acoustic". Both are solar glass and the after market was nearly 100 less.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Honestly the oem glass is very weak if you look at it wrong it chips or cracks. In my mustang I take great care in making sure i keep a good distance behind vehicles and i dont even get close to trucks, still get chips and already replaced it once due to chips. My daily driver has an aftermarket windshield and I drive that thing behind dump trucks with rocks pelting it and very rarely does it chip.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Dang that's crazy $$$!!!!

Has anyone tried the windshield repair kits for small stone chips? If so, do they do okay?
I didn't do the repair myself, but my windshield got a good sized chip (bigger than a nickel) about 3 years ago. It was repaired by a pro and I haven't had any problems since. The repair was on the passenger side, so it doesn't bother me, but it's visible enough that if it were in my view I would want the windshield replaced. I have glass coverage on my insurance, so I could have had the glass replaced for free. The insurance company asked if they could try to repair it and I said yes. I always try to save my insurance company money if possible.

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

FLYIN4D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I always use OEM due to the negative aforementioned statements. Thankfully USAA picks up the tab! Getting ready to get my first replacement OEM shield on my car next week.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Well I decided to go oem. It was $550 installed. Not great but also not bad enough to turn me away.

Good luck to all with cracks and chips.

PS. Is it really THAT bad to have a cracked windshield?

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Well. Cracks lead to more cracks, or a larger crack. Integrity is lost, can be bad in a wreck.

Wouldn’t want the glass breaking at the crack and cutting me in half. I’ve seen the final destination movies.

No thx Jeff.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
lots of miss information here.