OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Thread update;

The leak is back, and worse than ever now. Where before it looked like two bolt holes were the culprit, it now appears whole sections of the gasket might be leaking. The whole pan is soaked, rather than just a few small runs. So it'll have to go back in. Since I caught this when I changed the oil, I figured I might as well just get my mileage out of this oil change (keeping an eye on the level of course) and take it in when it's due for the next one. I'll post more then, but in the meantime, I wanted to update that the first repair attempt didn't hold long term.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Probably has a defective pan...warped plastic

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I just bought a 2018 GT with very low miles. The dealership advised they are waiting on the pan. Word is the pan has just been redesigned and won't be out until late April. The dealership said the oil seeping is super small and I should have no issue driving it for a month, they'll call me in when it arrives.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I just bought a 2018 GT with very low miles. The dealership advised they are waiting on the pan. Word is the pan has just been redesigned and won't be out until late April. The dealership said the oil seeping is super small and I should have no issue driving it for a month, they'll call me in when it arrives.
Interesting on them telling you it’s been redesigned. I got the same answer in regards to my blown transmission; that it’s been/being redesigned and on National backorder.

Is this commonplace for manufacturers to redesign parts for already built cars?

I don’t believe them that they’re redesigning the trans tho.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Is this commonplace for manufacturers to redesign parts for already built cars?

I don’t believe them that they’re redesigning the trans tho.
Pretty common for part designs to be updated to make them better, even during production.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Pretty common for part designs to be updated to make them better, even during production.
Just not usually that many major parts. LoL

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A part is a part - a "minor" part that is flawed in design can cause just as much of a problem as a "major" part. If the part design has been tweaked, and the part number is changed, then there's a reason for the change, which is typically to improve functionality (ie, an oil pan that doesn't leak).

Someone check the part number on the updated oil pan and you'll see a superseded p/n. How many p/n changes have happened on the A/C evaporator - that's a good example of a part change/update associated with the S550 Mustang that I'd call "major" considering it's a $1500 repair to R&R the evaporator.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
A part is a part - a "minor" part that is flawed in design can cause just as much of a problem as a "major" part. If the part design has been tweaked, and the part number is changed, then there's a reason for the change, which is typically to improve functionality (ie, an oil pan that doesn't leak).

Someone check the part number on the updated oil pan and you'll see a superseded p/n. How many p/n changes have happened on the A/C evaporator - that's a good example of a part change/update associated with the S550 Mustang that I'd call "major" considering it's a $1500 repair to R&R the evaporator.
He said the trans is being redesigned. That's what I consider a major part. It also worries me.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He said the trans is being redesigned. That's what I consider a major part. It also worries me.
Only thing I know of in the manual transmission that needed an update/redesign where the shift forks ... so that's probably what was meant by the transmission 'redesign' comment. If Ford is trying to get whole transmissions for sale with all the updated shift forks, then that's why it might be on 'back order' due to a 'redesign'.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Only thing I know of in the manual transmission that needed an update/redesign where the shift forks ... so that's probably what was meant by the transmission 'redesign' comment. If Ford is trying to get whole transmissions for sale with all the updated shift forks, then that's why it might be on 'back order' due to a 'redesign'.
I don't think the forks are the only issue with this thing, just the most common one. Time will tell how well they hold up. Mine makes some very odd noises at times. I would have paid extra to get the trans from the 350. It will be interesting to see what the redesign is. Either way, it's a very expensive repair if it breaks out of warranty. I wish I could just get mine replaced now.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
That was my thought on the “redesign”; the shift forks being upgraded. I asked yesterday for a better explanation and he didn’t have the info yet.

This morning I had my F150 at my normal dealer (not where the Mustang is) for something else and I asked my friend who works there and he said he’d try to get info for me.

I’ve been googling my ass off trying to find info
But no luck.

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
So how do you like this... I'm planning to get my GT and the dealership said they were reviewing the various issues with Ford and Ford decided to pull the car... take it back. I guess the leak was a bit worse than first thought and had some other engine issues (?). So now I'm out of a value priced low mileage 1 year old GT. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad? I had to cancel my insurance on a car I never actually bought. The dealership said they'll help me locate an alternative. Maybe I should consider a 2019?

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
23,000 Miles on mine, and just figured out the pan is leaking. Also has an ever increasing loud tick that may be a bearing or such because the oil analysis found metal. I raced the sht outta it at Road America this summer and I'm planning to have this engine die soon. May go crate motor or just rebuild the short block depending upon what I find over the winter. I probably won't even bother with Ford because I know they will just tell me it's outta warranty for the year and Whipple install, even though everyone knows their engine is suspect.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I'll post more then, but in the meantime, I wanted to update that the first repair attempt didn't hold long term.
How did the whole thing turn out?
For me, round 1 was also just unsuccessful, it is now worse than before.
Sponsored