MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
So apparently the gasket is back ordered. They found this out AFTER they took the car apart, so she's up on a lift now with no pan, return date TBD. *sigh*.
I had that problem on the opposite end. My valve cover gasket was backordered too. Seems weird for them not to have some extra stock of gaskets. The joys of JIT manufacture I guess.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Bummer. When were the engine and car built? My engine was 12/19 and the car 12/21.

Thanks!
November sometime I think. Latest date I saw tagged on anything was 11/28, but I haven't actually looked it up.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I had that problem on the opposite end. My valve cover gasket was backordered too. Seems weird for them not to have some extra stock of gaskets. The joys of JIT manufacture I guess.
That sucks, how long did you end up waiting? They have my car much longer and it'll have spent equal amounts of time in my driveway and in the shop.

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks, how long did you end up waiting? They have my car much longer and it'll have spent equal amounts of time in my driveway and in the shop.
Hahah. I've owned it for 2 weeks & 1 day. I've had it in my possession 3 days. ;) But the gasket was only a couple day delay I think. Good luck!

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Hahah. I've owned it for 2 weeks & 1 day. I've had it in my possession 3 days. ;) But the gasket was only a couple day delay I think. Good luck!
LOL, that's not too far off from me. I've had mine about 3 weeks, and the last week has been in the shop, and it'll be there through next week too. Not sure if it'll get stuck in there for longer than that though, I hope not.

It's chilling in the shop with the pan off collecting horsepower dust on the rotating assembly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I will say I'm not thrilled at the idea that the car is sitting in the shop with the pan off though. Aside from dust, I'm in a humid climate too, though it's been fine (and cold) recently. Kind of ticks me off, but there isn't much to be done about it at this point.

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
Upon inspection of my garage floor, I believe I too have an oil leak. Very very minor it seems. I put cardboard under to check it out next time I drive.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Upon inspection of my garage floor, I believe I too have an oil leak. Very very minor it seems. I put cardboard under to check it out next time I drive.
Mine didn't leave much on the ground either, just small circles about 2" in diameter. I wouldn't have brought it in and let them open it up had I known I'd get stuck in this backorder mess. Of course, the dealer didn't either, they thought they had the part...just happened to be the wrong one.

I'd head in, let them confirm where the leak is, then leave with the car until the part shows up.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Update from the dealership; The pan gasket is leaking. Pans are on national back order, so they are verifying with the ford hotline that the pan can be safely re-used.
Looks like a big formed O-ring type of rubber gasket. Did the dealer find any defects or damage on the pan gasket? Any word why they think it started leaking ... missing sealant in the 4 small areas it's shown to be applied?

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Looks like a big formed O-ring type of rubber gasket. Did the dealer find any defects or damage on the pan gasket? Any word why they think it started leaking ... missing sealant in the 4 small areas it's shown to be applied?
Considering the pan is plastic, it could be from expansion/contraction during heat cycles. I'm hoping Ford tested them thoroughly, but who am I kidding...

Sponsored
OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
They didn't say. I know it was leaking from two of the bolts, but I don't know what the leak path was.

Considering the pan is plastic, it could be from expansion/contraction during heat cycles. I'm hoping Ford tested them thoroughly, but who am I kidding...
I wouldn't hold my breath. Ford had issues with plastic pans before on some trucks, went back to a metal pan, then plastic again with the ecoboost F150's (of which there are many, many problem threads) and now as of 2018 all ford models use these plastic pans. Given what I've read on the forums from the F150 guys about the constant oil leaks, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm also not taking it back in. If this repeats I"ll just buy an MMR pan and replace it myself next time. They've already had my car a week and who knows when I'll get it back.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I will say though, it looked like the older plastic pans were sealed entirely with some kind of curing sealant. The gasket arrangement appears to be new, so maybe I just got unlucky. We'll see.

I blame my friend for this. Mine was fine until he warned me the plastic pans like to leak. Shortly after that warning, it started leaking. So it's all his fault. lol.

Edit; Just got an email from Ford Customer Care. Looks like the part should ship to the dealership on the 25th. So assuming it's sent overnight, they should have it installed the 26th. Then it has to cure overnight, so I should get the car back on Friday if I'm lucky. *crosses fingers*.

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Hmmm, this has me thinking that I need to check under there.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Hmmm, this has me thinking that I need to check under there.
Couldn't hurt. Mine was very obvious. I've been waiting over a week now for the gasket, and I still haven't gotten any conformation that it's shipped. It was supposed to come off of back order today, but the fact that I haven't heard anything doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Edit; Spoke too soon. Gasket has shipped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Just got word from the dealer that the gasket arrived and has been installed. The sealant is set to cure overnight, and the car should be ready for pickup tomorrow. Contacting Ford Customer Care was the right track to take...apparently my dealership had been having a few issues getting that part and having me elevate the issue assisted in that resolution.

Happy the car will be ready tomorrow, getting kind of tired of driving the rental.
Sponsored