Sponsored

Question about oil specification: WSS-M2C945-A vs WSS-M2C945-B1

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It is an update of oil specs to address low speed pre ignition (LSPI). The new number is the new, updated Motorcraft oil that has the API SN Plus donut on the back of the bottle. All oil manufacturers that have the new API SN Plus donut on the back of the bottle are addressing the LSPI issue and generally making a better oil. Here is a video from Motorcraft explaining it.
I did not know this existed. Very interesting. It's almost like the OEMs are admitting their engines have nasty blowby.
Sponsored

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I did not know this existed. Very interesting. It's almost like the OEMs are admitting their engines have nasty blowby.

At least it’s being addressed. I have read if the LSPI problem can be solved, car makers can tune their cars to get the MPGs they can really achieve. That would be great for the ecoboost!!!

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
At least it’s being addressed. I have read if the LSPI problem can be solved, car makers can tune their cars to get the MPGs they can really achieve. That would be great for the ecoboost!!!
I'll be honest here, I don't know why the EPA will not allow the car manufacturers to have blowby be sucked (via the venturi effect) into the exhaust gas (pre cat) where it will flame off and go out the tailpipe as pollution. It's really no different than now where the blowby just gets sucked/blown into the intake, burns there and becomes pollution elsewhere. Difference? Method #2 causes detonation, pooling of oil in intake manifolds and intercoolers, and on DFI engines, it causes the back of the valves to get buildup.

Venting to the atmosphere is not the best way, despite people installing "breather" valves (Which literally vents out already-metered air throwing off the fuel injection system).

Another trick that the OEM's are trying (Tried and gave up?) was forcing a mandatory federal-standard octane increase. Most of us on here already know this, but more octane = more timing and/or boost and either way you get more torque (And hp, which is derived from tq). Therefore, automakers can decide they need a 4-cyl with 200 ft/lbs of torque and a v6 with 300...They can effectively downsize the engines which reduces fuel consumption. Mazda deserves credit for the skyactiv engines with crazy high CR's, and infinity deserves their own credit for perhaps the most complicated engine ever installed in a car (Variable compression ratio, for those that don't know).

I'm just curious how the new oils help. Maybe they atomize better when they get above the flash point?

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I don’t know what the new oils do but, any improvement is good!

OP
OP
wilsons550

wilsons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
What yr and mods on ur car
No performance mods yet. I just striped, tinted, ppf, steeda jacking rails, rokblokz mudguards, steeda clutch spring and perch and oil separator.

Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
I'll be honest here, I don't know why the EPA will not allow the car manufacturers to have blowby be sucked (via the venturi effect) into the exhaust gas (pre cat) where it will flame off and go out the tailpipe as pollution. It's really no different than now where the blowby just gets sucked/blown into the intake, burns there and becomes pollution elsewhere. Difference? Method #2 causes detonation, pooling of oil in intake manifolds and intercoolers, and on DFI engines, it causes the back of the valves to get buildup.
Because it's hard on cats to have things still burning on the way out. And the higher combustion temps in the chamber do a much better job incinerating the mixture. We have to do the same concept with "tail gas" in the biogas industry. Simply sending it through a regular burner doesn't do the job.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thank you for the explanation. I figured the cat had something to do with it, although I do find it funny that they darn well set the thing on fire because of cold start enrichment/light off (Unfortunately makes the exhaust crazy loud at startup...Much worse in my prior BMW N54 though) nonsense. But that is obviously well under 1% of the time, so the "poisoning" would be relatively small compared to the 100% poisoning with the sucked in blow by.

Biogas...You talking about CH4, or do you also get other goodies as a result of decay? Always was curious about that. I read about plasma incinerated "syngas" process quite a few years ago (Here is an article from Wired) and I was blown away about the amazing way to tear apart the molecular structure.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
Biogas...You talking about CH4, or do you also get other goodies as a result of decay? Always was curious about that. I read about plasma incinerated "syngas" process quite a few years ago (Here is an article from Wired) and I was blown away about the amazing way to tear apart the molecular structure.
The 2 biggest offenders are CH4 and H2S. The others are mostly benign, but still contaminants we want to remove (nitrogen, water, etc). All that crap (pun intended) is fed into a special piece of equipment that has a minimum ignition of 1500F to make sure it doesn't get into the atmosphere.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
I spoke with ford performance and the 2018 mustang requires the 945-B1 specification oil now too. I also posted in blueoval forum in the tech section and someone suggested that the exact specification had to be used to avoid any warranty issues.

The thing is that when I went to the ford dealership, they only carry the 945-A oil. Where do you guys buy this new specification oil?!
Walmart has it. The specification was changed because direct injected cars get cruddy intake valve stems unless the oil has detergents to keep them clean. It’s an issue with the EcoBoost engines but not the Coyote because it has direct injection and port injection at each cylinder. The port injector keeps the valve stems clean, but to not violate your warranty, I’d use the new spec oil.

OP
OP
wilsons550

wilsons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Walmart has it. The specification was changed because direct injected cars get cruddy intake valve stems unless the oil has detergents to keep them clean. It’s an issue with the EcoBoost engines but not the Coyote because it has direct injection and port injection at each cylinder. The port injector keeps the valve stems clean, but to not violate your warranty, I’d use the new spec oil.
Thank you! Appreciate it. Is this a Walmart in Canada and what brand of oil?