wilsons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and have a question about the new oil specification for the 2019 mustang gt. In the 2018 mustang owner's manual the oil specification is WSS-M2C945-A but for the 2019 the new spec is WSS-M2C945-B1.

Do you guys know what the differences of the 2 specs are? Just don't want to void the warranty. I just bought a liter of the motorcraft engine oil for top off at the dealership and they gave me the 945-A. Also, bought 4 jugs of the PUP 5W-20 oil which is also 945-A. UGH!

Thank you!
Sponsored

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
It is an update of oil specs to address low speed pre ignition (LSPI). The new number is the new, updated Motorcraft oil that has the API SN Plus donut on the back of the bottle. All oil manufacturers that have the new API SN Plus donut on the back of the bottle are addressing the LSPI issue and generally making a better oil. Here is a video from Motorcraft explaining it.

OP
OP
wilsons550

wilsons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It is an update of oil specs to address low speed pre ignition (LSPI). The new number is the new, updated Motorcraft oil that has the API SN Plus donut on the back of the bottle. All oil manufacturers that have the new API SN Plus donut on the back of the bottle are addressing the LSPI issue and generally making a better oil. Here is a video from Motorcraft explaining it.
Really appreciate the detailed reply. Do you suggest I return the 945-A specification oil and wait for oils such as the pennzoil ultra platnium to be updated with the new spec? Or is it still safe to use the older specifications?

Thank you!

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I don’t want to say what’s safe because of the LSPI issues. What seems to be safest is using an oil with API SN Plus approval and that would be Pennzoil Platinum but not Ultra Platinum for some reason. Here is the page showing Pennzoil Platinum being SN Plus approved. https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...e7ff8921f5497e280987b0d/PNZ_API_Plat_5W20.pdf

You could also you Motorcraft’s oil listed in your manual or any other oil that is SN Plus approved. I have been a fan of Mag1 oil and just found out they have moved to SN Plus on most of their oils. Unfortunately, I still have 7 five quart jugs of the older stuff that is only SN approved and I’d like to use it up. I will probably take my chances and use it up. Then be happy to move over to a SN Plus approved oil. Thinking about switching to Quaker State Ultimate durability.

OP
OP
wilsons550

wilsons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don’t want to say what’s safe because of the LSPI issues. What seems to be safest is using an oil with API SN Plus approval and that would be Pennzoil Platinum but not Ultra Platinum for some reason. Here is the page showing Pennzoil Platinum being SN Plus approved. https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...e7ff8921f5497e280987b0d/PNZ_API_Plat_5W20.pdf

You could also you Motorcraft’s oil listed in your manual or any other oil that is SN Plus approved. I have been a fan of Mag1 oil and just found out they have moved to SN Plus on most of their oils. Unfortunately, I still have 7 five quart jugs of the older stuff that is only SN approved and I’d like to use it up. I will probably take my chances and use it up. Then be happy to move over to a SN Plus approved oil. Thinking about switching to Quaker State Ultimate durability.
Thanks again! I took a look at the pdf of the platnium and it has the sn plus spec but it still shows the 945-A spec and not the B1. I sent an email to Pennzoil about the 945-B1 spec and to ford performance's live chat. They will email me after he talks to the engineers.

Sponsored

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Good luck getting the oil you want to use. The good thing is, you have a GT. The Ecoboost Mustangs are the only ones that I know of that have the LSPI problem. Cars have been having engine knocking forever but, only the ecoboost turbos are the ones Ford are having problems with. No way am I going to special tune my ecoboost. Twisting more power out of a super small engine that already has over 300 HP is plenty for me. If I want more power, I’ll trade up and get a GT. I don’t want it though. I’m fine with the ecoboost.

OP
OP
wilsons550

wilsons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Good luck getting the oil you want to use. The good thing is, you have a GT. The Ecoboost Mustangs are the only ones that I know of that have the LSPI problem. Cars have been having engine knocking forever but, only the ecoboost turbos are the ones Ford are having problems with. No way am I going to special tune my ecoboost. Twisting more power out of a super small engine that already has over 300 HP is plenty for me. If I want more power, I’ll trade up and get a GT. I don’t want it though. I’m fine with the ecoboost.
The ecoboost are great cars! Good MPGs when you want and plenty of power when you stomp on it.

I'm just playing it safe so I don't void the warranty after reading all the piston slap threads. I will update this thread if I get a reply from Ford and Pennzoil.

OP
OP
wilsons550

wilsons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I spoke with ford performance and the 2018 mustang requires the 945-B1 specification oil now too. I also posted in blueoval forum in the tech section and someone suggested that the exact specification had to be used to avoid any warranty issues.

The thing is that when I went to the ford dealership, they only carry the 945-A oil. Where do you guys buy this new specification oil?!

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It seems kind of perversely comical that Ford would make a new spec oil mandatory before their dealerships can even stock it.

OP
OP
wilsons550

wilsons550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wilson
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It seems kind of perversely comical that Ford would make a new spec oil mandatory before their dealerships can even stock it.
I know! I think this new spec had been out for a few months already too. I'm just wondering if Canada is just slow with the update, I'm from Toronto.

Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
I know! I think this new spec had been out for a few months already too. I'm just wondering if Canada is just slow with the update, I'm from Toronto.
what part, im from the east end

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Sponsored