Sponsored

2020 Auto selector?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I hate the mustang and I’d never buy one that uses toggle switches for traction control Instead of a button like it always was! BabyRage!

I personally don’t like the dial but I’m fine with it. Like most automatic cars, the ecu will prevent you from going to park while the car is in motion so it’s perfectly safe. I think they did it to make the car look more “techy” and modern so it’ll appeal to those guys. And I’m sure there’s probably cost benefit to ditch the leather.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Lets face it almost all if not all automatic gear selectors are electronic with no physical attachment to the transmission in the end what does it matter how you shift gears with a stick or a knob.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Lets face it almost all if not all automatic gear selectors are electronic with no physical attachment to the transmission in the end what does it matter how you shift gears with a stick or a knob.
The sort of control that's appropriate for ovens, ranges, and toaster ovens doesn't exactly fit any notion of controlling a 450 HP 150+ mph-capable machine. What would you think about a range that had levers to control element temperatures instead of knobs? Just a wee bit out of place?

On the other hand, if Ford (and others) are willing to do anything at all to get people away from the ways they always used to drive and get comfortable with higher levels of vehicle autonomy, this would be one of the more subtle ways of helping that along. Sneak it in in the name of "high tech" on its appearance when what you're really doing is getting people further away from driving as a more physical activity. Something we're also seeing in P-brake controls . . .

Norm

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The sort of control that's appropriate for ovens, ranges, and toaster ovens doesn't exactly fit any notion of controlling a 450 HP 150+ mph-capable machine. What would you think about a range that had levers to control element temperatures instead of knobs? Just a wee bit out of place?

On the other hand, if Ford (and others) are willing to do anything at all to get people away from the ways they always used to drive and get comfortable with higher levels of vehicle autonomy, this would be one of the more subtle ways of helping that along. Sneak it in in the name of "high tech" on its appearance when what you're really doing is getting people further away from driving as a more physical activity. Something we're also seeing in P-brake controls . . .

Norm
All true but we've had no physical control of the throttle on cars for years. Lets face it manual control of your transmission and throttle was WAY to complicated and troublesome electronic controls by the lowest bidder is much better.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
All true but we've had no physical control of the throttle on cars for years. Lets face it manual control of your transmission and throttle was WAY to complicated and troublesome electronic controls by the lowest bidder is much better.
Not the same - you're still stepping on the same physical pedal as before. Maybe I should be thankful that human feet aren't exactly prehensile even without shoes on, else somebody'd have probably run the idea of a knob for throttle control up the flagpole as well.

It's the specific driver interface here, how the driver inputs what he wants the car (or appliance, for that matter) to do. Not the behind-the-scenes operation going on over on the other side of the lever/knob/pedal/etc.

Norm

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not the same - you're still stepping on the same physical pedal as before. Maybe I should be thankful that human feet aren't exactly prehensile even without shoes on, else somebody'd have probably run the idea of a knob for throttle control up the flagpole as well.

It's the specific driver interface here, how the driver inputs what he wants the car (or appliance, for that matter) to do. Not the behind-the-scenes operation going on over on the other side of the lever/knob/pedal/etc.

Norm
Tomatoes Tamatoes it's the same

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Looks like the new C8 Corvette is going with the same setup. I'd heard rumors the GT500 and C8 were sharing the 7-speed.
Another hi performance moves to a DCT and paddles. Oh the humanity. :yawn:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
All the hate this will generate!

I think the reason they didn't do this sooner was probably the shared manufacturing process with the manual transmissions and a desire to look retro. Usually manufactures don't do the electronic and manuals in the same production models.

Now if they'd do the same for the drive mode selector and put the info screen up top! At some point in history I'm sure people were upset when they replaced the hand crank starters.

I'm 48 and still a fan of modern design. Although I still grab for the shifter, even though it's an auto.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think the reason they didn't do this sooner was probably the shared manufacturing process with the manual transmissions and a desire to look retro. Usually manufactures don't do the electronic and manuals in the same production models.
That, and the likelihood that buyer acceptance wasn't strong enough 10 or 15 years ago to justify the risk of introducing anything that different.

Norm

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
If it hasn't been said already perhaps this means the end of the MT option?

It may be a given considering Ford's direction.

Even though I have and love the A10 I would be sad. As good as the autos are they lack that connected fun.

Sponsored

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I hate the goofy knob, really hate it but at the end of the day its whats coming...it wont stop me from buying a car.

Also a lot of high performance, expensive vehicles have these goofy knobs, push buttons transmissions. This debate is much like the manual vs automatic when most super cars are going stickly auto.

Maybe if I can get a dam job I can worry about it....

OP
OP
Ericc B

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Looks like the new C8 Corvette is going with the same setup. I'd heard rumors the GT500 and C8 were sharing the 7-speed.
Another hi performance moves to a DCT and paddles. Oh the humanity. :yawn:
Not only the Tremec, they also use the same Eaton supercharger.
Sponsored