Heat Extractors - Real?

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Anyone know for sure if the (alleged) heat extractors on the hood (bonnet) are functional? At least one of the YouTube reviewers says so, but I can't tell by looking.

Bob
Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
My understanding is that they are functional....

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The right one vents, the left one does not since it is over the open air element box.

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang - Dark Highland Green
Great post. Related question: If the hood extractors are functional, should extra care be used when spraying water on the hood during washing? Thanks.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great post. Related question: If the hood extractors are functional, should extra care be used when spraying water on the hood during washing? Thanks.
Water will dump into the right vent and then run underneath the hood blanket. I puposely do not spray heavy streams on top to avoid the water going underneath. Yes, I have observed it going there and felt the hood blanket being wet when I wasn't as careful the last time I washed it.

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tony! Yikes, do you think any flow of water on the hood will wet the underhood blanket or just forceful, direct blasts of water like from a hose? If it's the latter, as with engine bay detailing, do you recommend plugging up the right hand extractor with plastic baggies to deflect the flow of water when washing the car?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just lightly spritz water near but not on the parts of the hood that are near the vents. The curvature channels water right into the vents, so I try hard to avoid wetting the hood extensively. I actually am trying to find something that I would put on top of the vents that would direct water away from them. I envision some kind of silicone material that would fit over the vent.

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great, Tony, thanks. And yes, it would be ideal if someone could fabricate a 'plug' that fit over the vent during washing.

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
I did the first wash a few weeks ago at the self car wash and then ran home. By the time I got home the blanket was dry. But I would be very interested in having something to block these openings. When the weather turns to warmer temps i'll be washing in my driveway and then putting it away so unless these are blocked the blanket will get wet and stay wet, ug! Please keep us posted.
frank

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
You could wash the hood with it up, less water likely to get in the vents. Not 100% but better than the hood down. The handful of times I have washed mine, I was very careful to not spray directly in/on the vents.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I don't own a Bullitt, but I do own a regular GT with an aftermarket hood with large heat extractors. My car sits outside 24/7 as I have no garage. My car has seen snow, ice, rain, heavy rain, hurricanes, regular car washes, etc. None of it has ever been a problem. This is even having an open element air filter, not an enclosed air box. Don't stress yourself out over a non-issue. If Ford put heat extractors on the car from the factory, they darn sure put them in an area that is fine if it's exposed to the elements.

Moral of the story: Drive more, worry less.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The 2018+ heat extractors are functional. On my car fresh car wash foam gets pushed out at about 80 MPH. Slower than that; not so much.

Cheers,
Sponsored