Stock GT Premium Seats with Schroth Harness

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to have the factory Recaros on track too. I just don't want them for everyday driving. If I could buy a set of factory Recaros for my GT350 at a reasonable price I'd swap them in and out for track days. I already pull the seats when I install/remove the roll bar. It would be easy to just bolt in something different for days at the track.

It's much, much cheaper to buy a custom fixed-back seat for track days, though. If/when I do a seat upgrade that will be the direction I will go.
Do you use a HANS?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Do you use a HANS?
I foolishly bought the version of the Schroth 4 point where you can't add a HANS. I'm considering upgrading, but I would have to buy a new harness as well as the HANS and I'm not quite ready to spend that much coin.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I foolishly bought the version of the Schroth 4 point where you can't add a HANS. I'm considering upgrading, but I would have to buy a new harness as well as the HANS and I'm not quite ready to spend that much coin.
I wouldn't run a cage without HANS. Do you just have a harness bar or roll bar?

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
If you go far enough with your car then even with the Recaros you'll find the OEM belts just don't do the job. After 2-3 corners in the same direction I'm way out of position and end up wiggling around way too much. Going to go with the QuickFit Pro as it doesn't affect any of the OEM safety stuff.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't run a cage without HANS. Do you just have a harness bar or roll bar?
Roll bar. The Schroth system uses factory seat belt bolting locations. I realize there are better/safer setups out there. I only have the roll bar in the car for track days and it does have correct padding. But on the drive to and from the track I have the roll bar in the car and I'm not wearing a helmet. I always feel a little uncomfortable/unsafe driving on public roads with the roll bar in the car.

I'd like to have a HANS, but I haven't done it yet.

I also try my best not to be in a situation where I need to use the safety equipment. I really can't afford to ball up my daily driver.

Sponsored

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
Has anyone used 5 or 6 point harnesses with the stock seats? I've been debating between getting a pair of the quickfit pros or doing a harness bar (cipher?) and bottom brackets that allow the use of a 5 or 6pt. I have someone willing to sell me some basic 5pt harnesses for a good price that would make harnesses + harness bar + brackets about equal to 2 of the quickfit pros. The stock seats actually fit me pretty well, i just need to be held in better. The versatility has me leaning towards the QF Pros, but my track buddies are pushing me towards a 5/6pt because that's what they all use with race seats. There's a slim possibility I may go with a race seat in the future, but that's at least a year or two away.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You don't want to use a 5-6 harness with stock seats, because you can't route the bottom straps correctly and could go under the harness in a wreck (which is real bad).

The Schroth ASM tech is supposed to make their 4 point harnesses behave more like stock seatbelts in a crash, which supposedly reduces the change you'll submarine under the belts.

So 5-6 point with seats designed for those straps, or a factory 3-point or ASM belt with stock seats. If you're serious about safety look into a head/neck restraint a belt/seat system that is compatible with it.

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
The bracket I mentioned is made by a member on another popular mustang forum. It mounts to the back bolts that attach the front seat and gives you a spot to attach the lap and sub belts. You basically sit on the submarine belt and route it between the seat back and seat cushion. Would this still cause concern? I know its definitely a bad idea to route the sub belts around the front of the seat cushion.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'll defer to people with more serious expertise in such matters.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
The bracket I mentioned is made by a member on another popular mustang forum. It mounts to the back bolts that attach the front seat and gives you a spot to attach the lap and sub belts. You basically sit on the submarine belt and route it between the seat back and seat cushion. Would this still cause concern? I know its definitely a bad idea to route the sub belts around the front of the seat cushion.
Disclaimer: I'm regurgitating some info I received from another member. So take the following with a grain of salt and some extra research.

What you describe is acceptable IF the harness is designed to be used with "sit on" style sub belts. An example of one would be the Schroth Flexi 2x2. I think you'll have more of an issue with the seats not having proper routing holes for the shoulder belts.

I don't know of a single organization that will let you on track with a 5/6pt harness without a roll bar. Harness bar doesn't count.

If you're not going roll bar, do the Quick Fits.
Sponsored