Sponsored

Stock GT Premium Seats with Schroth Harness

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
I am a big guy and the Recaros are just too tight a fit for me. What are your opinions on the stock GT seats combined with the Schroth Quick Fit Pro harness. Would they provide enough support/stability for autocross and track days?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I am a big guy and the Recaros are just too tight a fit for me. What are your opinions on the stock GT seats combined with the Schroth Quick Fit Pro harness. Would they provide enough support/stability for autocross and track days?
I just did my first autocross with the quickfit pro. Huge improvement compared to the 3 pt belts. I was able to focus on driving.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I was perfectly happy with that setup before I stumbled onto a deal for the Recaros that I couldn’t pass up. The Schroth 4 ASM is a great choice (if you’re using stock seats (as opposed to the quickfit pro). With stock seats, the Rallye 4 is very fast to convert back and forth and stows very well.

Stability is light years ahead of the stock 3 point belts for autox. Track use the harness will hold you in place well too, but if you’re doing a bunch of Track work you might want to look into pros/cons of more serious safety systems.

OP
OP
JD_GTPP2

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
I was perfectly happy with that setup before I stumbled onto a deal for the Recaros that I couldn’t pass up. The Schroth 4 ASM is a great choice (if you’re using stock seats (as opposed to the quickfit pro). With stock seats, the Rallye 4 is very fast to convert back and forth and stows very well.

Stability is light years ahead of the stock 3 point belts for autox. Track use the harness will hold you in place well too, but if you’re doing a bunch of Track work you might want to look into pros/cons of more serious safety systems.
I like that the Rallye 4 ASM is universal (I am still driving/autocrossing a Focus ST) but when I talked to one of the Schroth distributors, he mentioned that the Rallye 4 is not NASA-compliant. Maybe he was just trying to get the upsell to the QuickFit or QuickFit Pro?

**** Edit: after reading through the rules for NASA sanctioned competitions, it specifies that the harness system must have a label that shows the harness is designed specifically for the vehicle:

2. The driver and any passenger must utilize modern style stock seatbelts in very good condition, or a DOT
approved restraint system, while operating a vehicle on the track. Lap belts used without any shoulder
restraints are not permitted. Restraint system requirements are listed in Section #11.4.8. The only
four-point belt systems that are allowed for use in HPDE / TT are 1) those that carry an “FIA B-xxx.T/98
certification, or 2) those that carry a label from the belt manufacturer stating that the belts meet Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 209 AND that the belts were designated for the specific vehicle
(e.g. “For use only in BMW E36 models”).
Such label must be easily visible to the NASA inspector.
Note- four-point belt sets that have a DOT-only certification are not allowed.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have Quick Fit with stock seats - works great. Installing requires removing entire side panel though and Torx 50 wrench (which I didn't have - had lots of other torx wrenches but all of them smaller - figured that out when I had everything taken apart).

Sponsored

mcstang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2016 F150 XLT
Another satisfied Schroth Quick Fit customer here. I use them for autocross and track days both; they're great, and made a huge difference for me since I didn't realize how much I was "helping" the car by leaning into turns, and sliding around in the seat on hot days.

Install on the 2018 is tricky because of the smaller seat belt buckles; you'll need a 2017 receptacle and have to replace the one in the back seat to get the Quick Fit to connect properly. Install isn't too bad; there are some helpful YouTube videos out there.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Another satisfied Schroth Quick Fit customer here. I use them for autocross and track days both; they're great, and made a huge difference for me since I didn't realize how much I was "helping" the car by leaning into turns, and sliding around in the seat on hot days.

Install on the 2018 is tricky because of the smaller seat belt buckles; you'll need a 2017 receptacle and have to replace the one in the back seat to get the Quick Fit to connect properly. Install isn't too bad; there are some helpful YouTube videos out there.
Yeah, that's one reason why the Rallye 4 may be easier. It doesn't use the stock seat belt buckle.

If you aren't running a NASA event then i wouldn't worry about the NASA compliance sticker. The ASM tech is the same in both belts.

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 3.7, 2019 Mustang GT 5.0 PP2
I have Quick Fit with stock seats - works great. Installing requires removing entire side panel though and Torx 50 wrench (which I didn't have - had lots of other torx wrenches but all of them smaller - figured that out when I had everything taken apart).
How do you removing the side panel? there are 2 white part hold it very hard, I don't know how to take it out
IMG_5260.JPG

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How do you removing the side panel? there are 2 white part hold it very hard, I don't know how to take it out
IMG_5260.JPG
Its been a while, but if you have both ends of it freed up, including the rear seatbelt passthrough, you pull kinda hard towards the center of the car to pop the clips holding the middle of it out. Its always scary using force on plastic.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its been a while, but if you have both ends of it freed up, including the rear seatbelt passthrough, you pull kinda hard towards the center of the car to pop the clips holding the middle of it out. Its always scary using force on plastic.
That image doesnt look familiar tho, so maybe someone can dig up a service manual for you.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_5260.JPG
Just pull. You don't have to completely remove the panel to get access to the belt retention bolt.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It doesn't look familiar to me either but as other said - you have to pull. I try to feel where the attachment points where and pull the edge close to them. Remember about pulling the short panel at the bottom of the door first though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I chose to buy my GT350 without the Recaros. At the GT350 Track Attack they had the Recaros with 4 point harnesses. I found that I had to really crank the harness super tight to be able to relax in the seat when I was driving on track, even with the Recaros.

Fast forward now I also have 4 point Schroth harnesses in my car with the non-Recaros. They have to be pulled very tight, but the harness works very well with non-Recaros on track in my opinion. So, in my opinion there is only a slight advantage (if any) to having the Recaros on track. At least if you are a big guy. Possibly it would be different for a small person, but with my tech package seats and a 4 point harness I am able to relax quite a bit on track. Very little effort to keep myself in position and I can focus a lot more on keeping my inputs smooth.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd still like to have the Recaros even being a big guy. The harness helps immensely but there's still quite a bit more squish from the bolsters than the Recaros.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd still like to have the Recaros even being a big guy. The harness helps immensely but there's still quite a bit more squish from the bolsters than the Recaros.
I'd like to have the factory Recaros on track too. I just don't want them for everyday driving. If I could buy a set of factory Recaros for my GT350 at a reasonable price I'd swap them in and out for track days. I already pull the seats when I install/remove the roll bar. It would be easy to just bolt in something different for days at the track.

It's much, much cheaper to buy a custom fixed-back seat for track days, though. If/when I do a seat upgrade that will be the direction I will go.
Sponsored