Sponsored

Aftermarket Leather SeatSkins

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT pp2, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, Ram 3500
Greetings!

I recently bought a 2018 Mustang GT pp2... but being that there were so few of them at the time in California, I ended up with one that didnt start off with a premium or anything (its fine, I dont need all that extra junk anyway).

I actually would prefer cloth seats generally, but dont like these specific cloth seats.

My questions:
1) Does anyone know if I bought oem seat leathers from stock leather seats, if they would fit correctly over stock cloth seats and their foams?

2) Anyone have experience with katzkin leather seat skins and have any kind of opinions or reviews of them?
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Katzkin makes really nice stuff. I would use them before I bought OEM covers simply for the quality of the leather.

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
When you buy the Klatzkins, does it include the rear seats as well?

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I believe any Katzkin leather seat cover requires the cloth original seat cover to be removed first.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just changed my cloth seats out for leather covers from "leatherseats" the fronts needed cutting to go where the hooks are in the seats but they fit well.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I had a set of Katzkin's installed in a 2011 Ford F-150. I was really impressed.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe

Sponsored

Pagey

PonyGP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/Black roof
For those that have Katzkins did you install them yourselves? When i go to their site there is no option to just buy them as they only appear to deliver them to a registered fitter

OP
OP
ronnyek42

ronnyek42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT pp2, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak, Ram 3500
You can find their seats without going to a dealer on ebay and I think amazon. The install isnt too bad assuming you understand how they are supposed to be fitted and have some tools (hog ring pliers and cutters that can clip hog rings). The leatherseats.com kits look actually very nice... but considerably more money. (I'm cheap).

I am curious as to whether the seats and seat foams are the same between cloth seats and leather... because you can find oem sets of the leather skins for fairly cheap as well. I'm not necessarily trying to make my interior look BETTER... I just hate how the cloth seats attract all kinds of hair and like smudges or whatever... pain to clean.

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
18 GT performance pack. Lighting blue
You can find their seats without going to a dealer on ebay and I think amazon. The install isnt too bad assuming you understand how they are supposed to be fitted and have some tools (hog ring pliers and cutters that can clip hog rings). The leatherseats.com kits look actually very nice... but considerably more money. (I'm cheap).

I am curious as to whether the seats and seat foams are the same between cloth seats and leather... because you can find oem sets of the leather skins for fairly cheap as well. I'm not necessarily trying to make my interior look BETTER... I just hate how the cloth seats attract all kinds of hair and like smudges or whatever... pain to clean.
I did roadwire leather in my 18 3 weeks ago. Love them. They are a competitive company to katskin. Both are quality products. Had it done at classic soft trim in Tampa FL.

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have not been able to confirm that the cloth and leather seat foam is identical but my assumption is they may not be. I have the premium leather heated/cooled seats and have taken them apart. The foam has slots cut into it for what I am assuming is air flow. There is a YouTube video from CJ Pony Parts where they swap out covers and foam. I would have to re-visit that video and see if I can catch a glimpse of the foam to verify. I have not seen others on forums who have taken their cloth covers off and shown the foam.

This is what mine looks like (this is the seat bottom cushion):
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-seat-cushion-pad-fr3z63632a23b/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9ZnJvbnQtc2VhdC1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9SkMxNTUyNDUmcj1sYXllcl8xNSZhPWZvcmQmbz1tdXN0YW5nJnk9MjAxNyZ0PWd0LXByZW1pdW0mZT01LTBsLXY4LWdhcw==

The description of that item says "with heat", BUT if you look at the other "seat cushion pad" items on that site that say "without heat", the graphic looks identical (I wasn't able to find any others that showed an actual picture) -- so I really don't know for sure.

All this being said. I find my stock premium leather seat covers UNCOMFORTABLE because of the placement of the stitching and possibly the V-channel grove in the seat bottom that holds the seat cover in place. The bottom-most stitching on the seat back sits against my belt line and pushes into me. The rear-most stitching on the seat bottom creates a dividing line between the soft foam (the light gray foam in the picture in the link above) and the rock hard foam (the black foam in the picture in the link above). The light foam just sinks down where the black foam does not budge. I feel like I sit right in front of that seam and it feels like I'm sitting on that shelf. Super annoying.

I would love to try and find a cloth cover for the driver seat and swap that on and see how it feels. I would also love to find a leather seat cover that does NOT have stitching like the OEM ones. I kind of like that quilted pattern of the red seats above in this thread.
Sponsored