Sponsored

Ported GT350 Manifold?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Has any company done this or have run data to see if there's any benefit?

EDIT: Reason why I ask is because it seems like ported manifolds on these modular Fords always are increasing peak power but also AVERAGE power throughout the entire curve with very few points where the torque dips lower than the factory spec intakes. Could be a nice option for those of us who are looking for a little more low end and to continue to carry the top end all the way to redline ASSUMING, there is data to support such a modification.
Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
This definitely would be of interest. Free power so to speak that places no added stress on the engine. Have not heard much about it in years but wondering if extrude owning would be good here?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Based on my extensive experience developing and porting intake runners; These plastic intake manifolds will have limited wall thickness to work with, so making any significant shape changes to increase flow will be difficult and most likely not reasonably possible. Probably the best improvement for the amount of work would be to polish off any mismatch where the core components come together inside the exposed runner.
I have not seen inside a GT350 intake yet, but my 40 years in the plastics industry tell me any type of work inside these intakes will not produce any significant gains by working the manifold only.
I see a lot of videos out there of guys porting 5.0 manifolds, but the dyno comparisons are usually associated with a number of other mods. I would also expect the GT350 manifold to be matched to the head port better than what some of these 5.0 applications show, since the GT350 cylinder head ports are CNC machined and the 5.0 ports are not..

Last edited:

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I called a company called Air Flow Solutions out in Arizona about two months ago and asked the same thing. Don't remember the guys name but he basically told me that yeah he could port one but the ROI is not worth it. Let me know that I might pick up 2-5 HP but not much else. Wish I had a better story to tell.

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
If you watched that new video from vmp it shows a 2018 manifold and a ported one and this was the one from airflow solutions. It showed a pretty significant gain on the dyno. They have pics of a ported gt350 manifold on their fb page and they can also port your throttle body.

Sponsored

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
They told me that they would get more from porting the throttle body than the intake manifold.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
If you watched that new video from vmp it shows a 2018 manifold and a ported one and this was the one from airflow solutions. It showed a pretty significant gain on the dyno. They have pics of a ported gt350 manifold on their fb page and they can also port your throttle body.
On the LS1 engines in the Corvette I believe they only gained 10-15HP, not worth it IMHO.

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They told me that they would get more from porting the throttle body than the intake manifold.
And word on the street is there isn't much to be gained from porting a throttle body. Supposedly more low end but then dies off in the mid and upper range.

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
On the LS1 engines in the Corvette I believe they only gained 10-15HP, not worth it IMHO.
Granted people spend more elsewhere but agreed, that's a tough ROI to consider.
Interesting, I just watched that too which is what sparked my curiosity. Frankly, I think these circled points have some merit. If a ported 350 manifold smoothens out and carries like it does on the top with the '18 ported manifold, that's a big deal. I think this car is also on E85 as well.

upload_2018-9-3_10-5-29.png

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
If i was in the states i would definitely let them port mine. I wouldn't chance shipping my intake from and back to where i am. I do think it would be worth it. We would need back to back testing to confirm though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If i was in the states i would definitely let them port mine. I wouldn't chance shipping my intake from and back to where i am. I do think it would be worth it. We would need back to back testing to confirm though.
Exactly. I would be willing to give up my car for that but my location is not ideal either.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I have a ported stock throttle body on my car and had it dynoed the same day as an R. Not going to get into it but my car carried more horsepower and torque over the R in the mid and high rpm range. Cars were both stock with my ported throttle body being the only difference between the two.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, the reliability on these motors is somewhat suspect. That being said, I don't believe modifying these motors is a good idea.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I got a used 350 ported IM with 47 lb injectors, just haven't installed it yet. Looking forward to seeing the difference in dyno with my current PP2 and FP tune.
The car it came off of was a 11 second car (Previous owner went with FI). Keep in mind that benefits are unlocked through a good tune. When I do the install
and dyno it I'll post the results here.
Sponsored