Sponsored

Another '18 Coyote engine to bite the dust. (Buy back accepted)

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Why bother bringing the car back for the tick? Like I said, there is currently no correlation between the tick and engine failure (or any problem for that matter). You said your engine feels healthy, so why not just drive and enjoy?
For me there is a major correlation between the tick and an engine failure. My long block was replaced after I brought it in for engine tick. I took the same advice you're suggesting the first time around, ignored it, deemed it normal, and the car left me on the side of the road.
Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Wasn't your original problem bad electronics/ECU?

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wasn't your original problem bad electronics/ECU?
I'm not sure what the original issue was to be honest and I don't think the dealer does either. My car started misfiring and throwing codes for crank sensors and cam sensors. They started diagnosing it as if it was an electrical issue, but after they started to tear down the engine they found serious damage on mechanical parts of the engine including cams, crank, and bearings. In addition to that they found metal glitter all over the engine and in the filter. They stopped at that point and replaced the long block. Engine harness was reused so maybe it is a electrical issue. Who knows. All I know is I'd rather be in a loaner that can get me to work rather than to wait and see if the mustang will leave me stranded again. Which it has done 3 times.

Edit: 1 of the 3 times its died on me was with the new engine in the car. That's why I'm not taking any chances and took it right to the dealer.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That sounds like a rod bearing issue as it's coming deep from within the pan. There is no way an electronic issue caused that, it's sad to see the 08/18 production date on that engine. How many engines does Ford have to replace before they realize that HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
While the previous engine may have had BOTH the "tick" and the electronic failure(or some type of additional failure), they are, in my opinion, unrelated. I dont think the tick issue generally goes in this direction. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure that we can document that fact that the tick has caused an actual engine failure because I think its gotten confused with the piston slap issue. The fact that replacement engines still have this tick and it is showing up in 19's indicates that this is most likely an inherent issue. There are many that have this tick (including F150's and previous gen coyotes). I admit that the noise is sometimes very troublesome. But then there are times that it doesn't make it at all. I truly believe that your issue was related to something aside from the engine tick. Until Ford acknowledges that this is an issue and can address it, I will drive mine. If it chunks a rod, I will take it in then. :) (but Im not anticipating that.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While the previous engine may have had BOTH the "tick" and the electronic failure(or some type of additional failure, they are, in my opinion, unrelated. I dont think the tick issue generally goes in this direction. The fact that replacement engines still have this tick and it is showing up in 19's indicates that this is most likely an inherent issue. There are many that have this tick (including F150's and previous gen coyotes). I admit that the noise is sometimes very troublesome. But then there are times that it doesn't make it at all. I truly believe that your issue was related to something aside from the engine tick. Until Ford acknowledges that this is an issue and can address it, I will drive mine. If it chunks a rod, I will take it in then. :) (but Im not anticipating that.)
I'm not trying to seem rude here so please hear me out. Accepting an engine that makes loud metal knocking sounds and passing it off as normal is beyond unacceptable. I would be inclined to believe you if every single gen 3 coyote made this sound but there are a lot of them out there that don't, including my new engine up until this point. Couple that with the fact that in my personal experience the engine was completely trashed, I'm not going to accept an engine that ticks, knocks, etc. I'm not about wagering 40 grand that this motor will be fine after the warranty ends, even though my last one didn't make it to 8000 miles.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not trying to seem rude here so please hear me out. Accepting an engine that makes loud metal knocking sounds and passing it off as normal is beyond unacceptable. I would be inclined to believe you if every single gen 3 coyote made this sound but there are a lot of them out there that don't, including my new engine up until this point. Couple that with the fact that in my personal experience the engine was completely trashed, I'm not going to accept an engine that ticks, knocks, etc. I'm not about wagering 40 grand that this motor will be fine after the warranty ends, even though my last one didn't make it to 8000 miles.
Not rude at all. I completely understand. Thing is, I really love this car and this is the reality in which we find ourselves. As someone who has worked in the car business for 20 years and built my fair share of engines, this just doesnt bother me enough to want to get rid of my car. Should it be making these noises, heck no. But I am ok with weathering the storm to see what comes of it. We have more questions than answers at this point and I am content to just drive my car and see what happens in the future.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Update: I had to drop the car at the dealer yet again. The BBQ tick has returned on the new long block at about 200 miles on the new engine. I'm back in a loaner. Video below of new long block dated 8/18 ticking.

That's sounds way worse than the usual BBQ tick.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's sounds way worse than the usual BBQ tick.
Right!? If you compare it to my original motor, I thinks its actually worse. I literally have no idea at this point.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Right!? If you compare it to my original motor, I thinks its actually worse. I literally have no idea at this point.
If you have other car in mind, just lemon law the stang and get into another car.

I just do not like anything else at the market at the moment... I would not even consider 18+ due to front end design.

So I'm willing to play in engine replacement thing.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Every gen 3 has a rattle to some degree. Many also have the tic. Very few sound as bad as 5Oh’s.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have other car in mind, just lemon law the stang and get into another car.

I just do not like anything else at the market at the moment... I would not even consider 18+ due to front end design.

So I'm willing to play in engine replacement thing.
I'm looking at that option but i just loved the mustang so much :(

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Again, until Ford has officially found the/a problem, created a solution, and implemented said solution into production your just beating your wanker into a wall (wasting your time) getting short/long block replacements. Failed engine, yes.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, until Ford has officially found the/a problem, created a solution, and implemented said solution into production your just beating your wanker into a wall (wasting your time) getting short/long block replacements. Failed engine, yes.
That's all fine and dandy, but until I can drive the car without it dieing on me mid drive ill keep "banging my wanker into a wall" trying to get an engine that last longer than 70 miles.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
That's all fine and dandy, but until I can drive the car without it dieing on me mid drive ill keep "banging my wanker into a wall" trying to get an engine that last longer than 70 miles.
Does it feel like it has a misfire? because that sounds like it might have an ignition miss besides the tick.
Sponsored