Sponsored

Did a bad tune blow my engine?

Die007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2015 Mustang
I am not hear too bad mouth any tuner companies. I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else. Just like every mustang owner we get used to the power and would like a little more. I had Kooks headers installed earlier this month, first big mod I made for more power, before this I didn’t even have a cold air intake. After I received my car back from the headers installed I then added a 2018 intake manifold (Lockout) and JLT CAI. I know at this point I would need a tune. So I order a one, (will not disclose from who but it is a very establish company). I was told several times that I did not need to upgrade my injectors unless I was going to run E85. I was under the understanding that if you upgrade your intake manifold you would need bigger injectors. But they are the expert so I did not install my 47# injectors. Just to make this clear after I installed the manifold and CAI not once did I turn the car on until I installed the base tune.

Just like any mail tune I was asked for a data log. On my way to my secret street doing 70mph on the E-way white and blue smoke started coming out the tail pipe. My car shut off and I coasted to the side the road. Had the car taken to Ford dealership and what came back was.

Misfire from valve leakage

• Excessively lean conditions

• Excessively High Cylinder temperatures

Piston Damage

• Pre-ignition

• Excessive levels of detonation

Is it possible that the tune caused this?
928a03cfc94a47c4a3cacc991b64d1db-full.jpg

f62530665debcc24ac3f9e195c9d5a55-full.jpg
Sponsored

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
18 GT performance pack. Lighting blue
I am not hear too bad mouth any tuner companies. I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else. Just like every mustang owner we get used to the power and would like a little more. I had Kooks headers installed earlier this month, first big mod I made for more power, before this I didn’t even have a cold air intake. After I received my car back from the headers installed I then added a 2018 intake manifold (Lockout) and JLT CAI. I know at this point I would need a tune. So I order a one, (will not disclose from who but it is a very establish company). I was told several times that I did not need to upgrade my injectors unless I was going to run E85. I was under the understanding that if you upgrade your intake manifold you would need bigger injectors. But they are the expert so I did not install my 47# injectors. Just to make this clear after I installed the manifold and CAI not once did I turn the car on until I installed the base tune.

Just like any mail tune I was asked for a data log. On my way to my secret street doing 70mph on the E-way white and blue smoke started coming out the tail pipe. My car shut off and I coasted to the side the road. Had the car taken to Ford dealership and what came back was.

Misfire from valve leakage

• Excessively lean conditions

• Excessively High Cylinder temperatures

Piston Damage

• Pre-ignition

• Excessive levels of detonation

Is it possible that the tune caused this?
928a03cfc94a47c4a3cacc991b64d1db-full.jpg

f62530665debcc24ac3f9e195c9d5a55-full.jpg
I would question all aspects of the intake install. If everything was proper then maybe tune. I certainly would want a third knowelageable party to check out the tune file. That sucks man. Best of luck to you.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I'm thinking the intake was leaking unmetered air into the combustion chamber, or perhaps something made it's way into the engine during the install.... Can you PM me who you received the tune from?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Die007

Die007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would question all aspects of the intake install. If everything was proper then maybe tune. I certainly would want a third knowelageable party to check out the tune file. That sucks man. Best of luck to you.
That is not a bad idea having a third party look at my tune. Thanks CNC Lester.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just adding to the list of reasons I'm never using an email tune. Lucky to have a good dyno tuner within a reasonable drive, I know that's not an option for everybody.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Damn, that piston took a beating.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
While I definitely agree that a bad tune can mess up your engine, my guess is that something mechanical failed or a foreign object entered the engine for it to be destroyed like that just cruising.

Yes a bad tune can mess an engine up even idling, but odds are that it would most likely cause damage when under load. So since this failed at light load, it makes me think it's mechanical rather than tune related. An established tuning vendor should be good enough to have a tune that drives and idles without destroying itself like this did. I would expect that from a fly by night tuner, not an established one as you say.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Very strange piston failure. Looks like it was smashed in a press.

Weird.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Should have stayed stock . Now your out an engine . I am wondering who installed the intake . Could this be pre- ignition related ?

OP
OP
Die007

Die007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should have stayed stock . Now your out an engine . I am wondering who installed the intake . Could this be pre- ignition related ?
Manifold was installed by me. I right away put tape over the port holes. I'm sure nothing fell in their. There are many how to wright ups and YouTube videos on installing the 2018 manifold. I'm Farley positive I did it right all the way down to the torque specs.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Yep your right. Prob Lund ZING
Honestly, I dont think this is a tuner issue, doubt a tune will do this on a car that didnt even go WOT. This is most likely install error. Something fell in.
Sponsored