Shifter with the least amount of NVH?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Getting my parts list together for my clutch upgrade and thinking of doing a shifter while the trans is out. With an aftermarket low profile knob I actually don't hate the shifter for my driving style but I figure while its apart......

What I don't want is any increase in NVH.....0 noise or rattles. I know from my younger days that's typical with an aftermarket shifter.

Kinda eye balling either the Barton or MGW. Thoughts on NVH between those 2?
Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I don't remember which one of your 2 choices it is, but they offer a shifter that can be setup as a remote shifter like the stock setup or use the provided braces and have it mounted to the rear of the trans, solid. That might be a good choice if you aren't sure. Otherwise, There are a number of options. The more solidly you are mounted the more NVH. Blowfish Racing has a bracket (I have it) to mount the back of the stock shifter to the trans, set in rubber bushings.

The rear stock shifter bushing seems to be the common denominator with poor shift quality. Steeda offers a better rear rubber bushing to tighten things up. Then there are the trans mount bushings but I've had little luck with using one other than increasing NVH.

TigerFire13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP in Deep Impact Blue
I have the MGW Trans-mount. This effectively removes a point where the transmission vibrations travel through the body. I dare say it is quieter, if anything. You will notice more vibration in the shifter. In my opinion, it does not detract from the driving experience. Since the MGW kit does not retain the pull-up reverse lockout collar, there is nothing that will rattle from the increased vibrations.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Transmission bushing insert, and an upgraded poly rear shifter bracket bushing is less that $50 and makes the drivetrain much more rigid, and enhances the overall driving experience.

TigerFire13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transmission bushing insert, and an upgraded poly rear shifter bracket bushing is less that $50 and makes the drivetrain much more rigid, and enhances the overall driving experience.
Be careful with this. I first went with Boomba's short shifter, body-mount shifter bracket replacement, and transmission mount replacement. Tightened everything up and felt great, but certainly added lots of noise.

Fair warning, I have an ecoboost and have applied vibration dampening material throughout the car.

Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be careful with this. I first went with Boomba's short shifter, body-mount shifter bracket replacement, and transmission mount replacement. Tightened everything up and felt great, but certainly added lots of noise.

Fair warning, I have an ecoboost and have applied vibration dampening material throughout the car.
I didnt notice any NVH in the cabin with the addition of the rear shifter bracket bushing, but I retained the stock bracket and only replaced the bushing itself (Energy Suspension).

When I added the trans bushing insert, I did not modify it in any way (many cut out a 1-2 inch circle to reduce the NVH) and noticed a little bit of NVH, but that is to be expected when you start swapping out parts and stiffen up the drivetrain.

FWIW, on my upcoming oil change I plan on pulling the trans bushing insert and cutting a portion out to try and reduce the NVH.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have a trans mounted Barton hybrid 3

There was some increase in NVH but nothing so bad that I want to take it out. I honestly don't know how i drove around with the stock shifter, it was so sloppy and loose.
This tightens everything up, hard to miss shifts unless you have some serious hand eye coordination problems.

Can't speak on the MGW but I'm sure they're both comparable and similar.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
So it seems like doing a shifter is a no brainer, but you guys arent making the whole MGW vs Barton thing any easier!

TigerFire13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it seems like doing a shifter is a no brainer, but you guys arent making the whole MGW vs Barton thing any easier!
I wanted the Barton because I like the pull up reverse lockout. Because they don’t offer a hybrid 3 trans mount option for my eco boost, I went with the MGW.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Just buy any, they're both the same shit.. Pick one and buy it you'll be happy

Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
A9BF321B-2601-4CBC-B707-F003E7976479.jpeg
C8FCA1A8-C04A-44A5-B9AA-4E5B54B91687.jpeg
The MGW & Barton shifters are great choices, for the most part seems like once someone has their shifter installed there aren’t many complaints or wishing they had gone a different route. I have the MGW - X Spex standard and couldn’t be happier. I did my shifter while I had the trans out and it made it a nice experience. I also have the STEEDA trans bushing which made a huge difference and I haven’t noticed any additional NVH and maybe that’s because I already had the trans bushing which added some NVH but it seems to have toned down over time.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I drilled a 1” hole in mine from the beginning, I had a little NVH at first but it seems to have gone away.
I didnt notice any NVH in the cabin with the addition of the rear shifter bracket bushing, but I retained the stock bracket and only replaced the bushing itself (Energy Suspension).

When I added the trans bushing insert, I did not modify it in any way (many cut out a 1-2 inch circle to reduce the NVH) and noticed a little bit of NVH, but that is to be expected when you start swapping out parts and stiffen up the drivetrain.

FWIW, on my upcoming oil change I plan on pulling the trans bushing insert and cutting a portion out to try and reduce the NVH.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drilled a 1” hole in mine from the beginning, I had a little NVH at first but it seems to have gone away.
Good to hear, I plan on doing that on my upcoming oil change. The insert really does feel nice.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to add that when I added the Blowfish bracket, I experimented with removing the aftermarket trans mount bushing. Zero difference in performance but a slight reduction in NVH. So, I wouldn't bother doing that bushing in conjunction a solid mounted shifter.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I have the steeds tri-ax shifter no nvh but not thrill with it. I find it to be unpredictable when try to shift fast with it I have missed gears. Especially you have to pay attention when down shifting. I have tried the mgw shifter and it is more predictable when shifting.
Sponsored