15gt owner rented a 17gt for quick trip

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
When my rental car guy saw me parking my 15gtpp, he got excited and let me take the 17gt they had just gotten back on the lot. I had a quick day trip of about 1.5 hrs each way on the freeway, so it wasn't amazing or anything, but it was nice to have a similar car. First off, this was an automatic not a 6 speed like mine, so that was interesting. I'm very glad I have a manual. Nothing against the auto really, but it just wasn't my thing. I was a little surprised that the car seemed nearly identical inside. The new one obviously had the new interface, so that was cool, and the small Mustang badge on the glove box was different than mine. Oh, and the start button was a little cooler actually. It had a stainless steel look vs. the plastic I have. Other than that, it felt almost identical. I kept it pretty safe for the most part, not wanting to get a ticket, but I did have to use the power to keep some lady in a suburban from getting me stuck behind a slow semi-truck. She didn't seem to appreciate it when I decided to pass her rather than slow down, switch lanes and then go past. I had plenty of space, and the car got up and went very easily. The view seemed slightly different I think. As I was driving, I didn't think the rental had the roof vents like mine. When I stopped I noticed that it did. They were painted to match the body which is different than mine, which are black vs. the yellow body, but I think they might also be a little further forward because I couldn't see them at all as I was driving. I also noticed that the front fog light areas were slightly different. I think I like the 15 better in that regard. These looked like they were trying to be a scoop of some sort maybe. Anyway, those are my impressions of a 17 v. 15.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
When my rental car guy saw me parking my 15gtpp, he got excited and let me take the 17gt they had just gotten back on the lot. I had a quick day trip of about 1.5 hrs each way on the freeway, so it wasn't amazing or anything, but it was nice to have a similar car. First off, this was an automatic not a 6 speed like mine, so that was interesting. I'm very glad I have a manual. Nothing against the auto really, but it just wasn't my thing. I was a little surprised that the car seemed nearly identical inside. The new one obviously had the new interface, so that was cool, and the small Mustang badge on the glove box was different than mine. Oh, and the start button was a little cooler actually. It had a stainless steel look vs. the plastic I have. Other than that, it felt almost identical. I kept it pretty safe for the most part, not wanting to get a ticket, but I did have to use the power to keep some lady in a suburban from getting me stuck behind a slow semi-truck. She didn't seem to appreciate it when I decided to pass her rather than slow down, switch lanes and then go past. I had plenty of space, and the car got up and went very easily. The view seemed slightly different I think. As I was driving, I didn't think the rental had the roof vents like mine. When I stopped I noticed that it did. They were painted to match the body which is different than mine, which are black vs. the yellow body, but I think they might also be a little further forward because I couldn't see them at all as I was driving. I also noticed that the front fog light areas were slightly different. I think I like the 15 better in that regard. These looked like they were trying to be a scoop of some sort maybe. Anyway, those are my impressions of a 17 v. 15.
Sync 3 is way better than that garbage of a system they call Sync 2.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I didn't think there were that many differences between the 15 & 17, specifically the placement of the hood vents.

Maybe your seat was adjusted differently?

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
IIRC the '15 has the turn signals incorporated into the hood vents, and '17 doesn't.

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I for one can't believe there are still 2017MY rental cars. Those must be some rural areas.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Yeah I think you drove a MY18, OP. IIRC, the steel/metal button power button in place of the plastic is new for that year and it sounds like you drove one optioned with the full digital instrument cluster which is also new.

Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I think you drove a MY18, OP. IIRC, the steel/metal button power button in place of the plastic is new for that year and it sounds like you drove one optioned with the full digital instrument cluster which is also new.
Reading back OPs post, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Aside MY16 having turn signals in the hood vents, there is no differences in the 15-17 cars. Only differences I know of are SYNC 3 vs older SYNC and wheel style for Black Appearance Package and maybe some color choices, but nothing like what OP is describing

OP
OP
druby

druby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium, Tripple Yellow
Reading back OPs post, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Aside MY16 having turn signals in the hood vents, there is no differences in the 15-17 cars. Only differences I know of are SYNC 3 vs older SYNC and wheel style for Black Appearance Package and maybe some color choices, but nothing like what OP is describing
It could have been an 18, as that would make more sense for a rental, but it didn't have any digital instruments, so that's really why I assumed it had to be a 17. The 15 doesn't have the turn signals integrated into the vents, I do know that. I wish it did. My old '67 did, so that would be cool to have one like that again.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium
The 15 doesn't have the turn signals integrated into the vents, I do know that. I wish it did. My old '67 did, so that would be cool to have one like that again.
I have a '17, I wonder why they got rid of that for the '17s?

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium