Sponsored

Hellion 6266 Dyno, Valve FLOAT? Spark?

Mike5876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue GT 1194 RWHP
OMG!!!! That dreaded VALVE FLOAT!!!!!!!!! My 2018 made almost 1200 HP....im sure if the VALVE FLOAT wasn't happening it would have made more LMAO
2018 hellion kit.JPG
Sponsored

Mike5876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellion twin 62/66 ball bearing turbos......Fore triple pump fuel system.....high output direct injection pump.....E 85

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hellion twin 62/66 ball bearing turbos......Fore triple pump fuel system.....high output direct injection pump.....E 85
What's your dyno sheet trap?

Mike5876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
doesn't trap worth a shit with 20's and street tires but when i get my drag radials ill be sure to let you know first!

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
What's your dyno sheet trap?
Exactly...

And then......... the excuses came.

doesn't trap worth a shit with 20's and street tires but when i get my drag radials ill be sure to let you know first!
LMAO. ok.

Guys have gone 8s on 20s for YEARS already... Its 2018 chief.

What's that 1200whp trap? 160?

cobill1972

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang s550
Depending on his location, DA probably higher than 160mph. It wouldn't surprise me. I know my 15 with the hellion 62mm kit journal bearing I just trapped 155.8 and the DA was 6800ft. On that boost setting I see roughly 16-17psi, and make right at 1000rwhp. I know there are a lot of stories floating around about "valve float", but I personally haven't actually run into it. More so the problems I run across are spark issues like in OP situation cracked plugs or someone that has their plugs gapped to .035 and trying to push boost past 15psi. Same car, same dyno, stock valve springs I saw over 900rwhp with zero issues to red line. I just upgraded because I knew it wouldn't last forever and if your going to build an engine you might as well upgrade the valve springs. My experience with Hellion has been nothing short of excellent and if Jeff couldn't answer a question John would get on the phone. It's hard to find customer service like that today.
From this thread it seems what was identified as "valve float" simply turned out to be a problem with spark and spark plugs are a heck of a lot easier to change than valve springs on these cars. Maybe rename the thread to "cracked spark plugs" and see if other people are running across this problem.

Bill

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Depending on his location, DA probably higher than 160mph. It wouldn't surprise me. I know my 15 with the hellion 62mm kit journal bearing I just trapped 155.8 and the DA was 6800ft. On that boost setting I see roughly 16-17psi, and make right at 1000rwhp. I know there are a lot of stories floating around about "valve float", but I personally haven't actually run into it. More so the problems I run across are spark issues like in OP situation cracked plugs or someone that has their plugs gapped to .035 and trying to push boost past 15psi. Same car, same dyno, stock valve springs I saw over 900rwhp with zero issues to red line. I just upgraded because I knew it wouldn't last forever and if your going to build an engine you might as well upgrade the valve springs. My experience with Hellion has been nothing short of excellent and if Jeff couldn't answer a question John would get on the phone. It's hard to find customer service like that today.
From this thread it seems what was identified as "valve float" simply turned out to be a problem with spark and spark plugs are a heck of a lot easier to change than valve springs on these cars. Maybe rename the thread to "cracked spark plugs" and see if other people are running across this problem.

Bill
Woah, you went 155.8mph at 6800ft DA on a stock motor? That's pretty nutty

cobill1972

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang s550
Woah, you went 155.8mph at 6800ft DA on a stock motor? That's pretty nutty
No my appologies for the confusion when I said "upgraded" that was a built engine. I pushed over 900rwhp on a completely sealed stock engine, when I went past that I felt that was pushing it enough for a safety standpoint, and started building an engine on the side. On that pass of 155mph with the boost setting it put down right at 994rwhp on the same loaded dyno "built engine". I guess my point was that the hellion kit makes more than enough power for a stock engine to handle and probably can take most built engines to their limits. In my opinion its a good kit to grow with. At some point your just rolling the dice on when it will break not if it'll break, and it would be a really bad day if you spit a rod and oiled the track at that speed. I only posted my comment because you hear stories, and posts about back pressure with valve float, and other concerns so I just put in my two cents with my hellion turbo kit experience.
I'm a bigger fan of times, and trap speeds v's dyno numbers.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I lifted my heads slightly at 17psi with the Whipple previously. Coolant seeped ever so gently from the rear of the heads like the engine was crying under full boost.

Were your coolant levels dropping after each pass?
I may be having the same issue in my KB car .
I can’t see external loss / no steam and passes a block test but still dropping coolant levels especially after car cools down .

Sponsored

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
Were your coolant levels dropping after each pass?
I may be having the same issue in my KB car .
I can’t see external loss / no steam and passes a block test but still dropping coolant levels especially after car cools down .
I didn’t see my coolant dropping but when I did some tranny work I was able to see just a small amount of orange coolant that at one point was seeping from the rear of both heads. Like little coyote teardrops!!

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I wound up finding that 3 out of 4 cylinders on passenger side had cracks in the porcelain on the plugs.. second time I've had this issue! Long story but I should've pulled all 8 plugs for a second time and inspected them once again, believe this was my issue!
20180810_082320.jpg

20180810_085040.jpg
What did you end up setting your gap at?

Im finally getting around to replacing my plugs for my TT build and am curious what the consensus is on plug gap for 12-15 psi boost.

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
What did you end up setting your gap at?

Im finally getting around to replacing my plugs for my TT build and am curious what the consensus is on plug gap for 12-15 psi boost.
I’d recommend going with. .024” gap on the NGK 7510 plugs. That will be plenty tight to avoid blowout.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Are you implying Lund tuners are panicing while they're reading customer's logs and don't know what they're looking at?

Because the OP said his tuner specifically said he noticed the issue in the cam timing. It's not like amateurs are reading through their logs and immediately panicking and shouting valve float.

Here ya go. Mod list in sig. 15, 14, and 12 psi. Stock springs and motor. Lund told me the dip at the top of the power band on 14-15 psi may be valve float but they didn't say for sure.
dynorunShare_0.png
This is exactly what my graphs looked like when my valves were floating. Changed springs and nothing else and everything was fine. Pulled all the way to the top with no dips.
This is also exactly what my graph looked like (before the damn crank broke ) on my Hellion car .

3beeps, did you ever confirm it was valve float ?
I know swapping springs fixed the issue for Dennism .

The GT 350 heads were supposed to have had the upgraded MMR GT 350 springs installed but either the shop never did or the springs are junk .
It’s funny also it did not seem to show up until I swapped the intake for a GT 350 and power was climbing past 7000 rpm .

Rebuilding another motor now with a 5.0/GT heads and will be swapping the stock valve springs for the PAC(in case the MMR ones were junk ).
Also going to be using an 18 intake instead but doubt its an issue related to the GT350 intake (or could it be ?).
Sponsored