That and they know we'd all switch to kia stingers :lol:
Never!
No manual transmission option.
No V8.
No Soul
No Heritage
I think the new Camry looks better.

No sale.

Don't believe the hype. The Mustang will be alive and well when everyone has long forgotten about the Stinger.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I had a 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring. It's a hell of a car, but just lacking power. Handles like a dream, has a great transmission. Great MPG, great looks too. I honestly do not know why there aren't a lot more Mazda's on the road because they offer a much more intuitive drive than the competition in many aspects.

The 2018 Accord is better in every aspect now. It's quieter, adaptive suspension, better screen/infotainment system, and the power is awesome with really no turbo lag at all. I didn't wait around for the Mazda 6 Signature though which is probably really close to being as good, but I personally haven't read many reviews.

I know the Mazda 6 Signature is detuned a bit on 87 octane where my Accord is not. Even though they say that Premium will give the Accord the best benefit, it's not much of a difference unless it's tuned. I'm typically just driving it around town like a normal person and give it gas when I really need to. Not really keen on tuning the Accord just yet as it's nice filling up on 87 for now.

Mazda and Honda are the two that still keep the sporty aspect in. It's Toyota that's the vanilla beans of the bunch.
Honestly, I think that you have it backwards. The new Camry looks great and still has the v6 option for more power than each of the cars you listed. The front end of the new Accord looks like :barf: (no offense). Mazda's cars are fine, just nothing styling-wise to differentiate them from the competition.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Honestly, I think that you have it backwards. The new Camry looks great and still has the v6 option for more power than each of the cars you listed. The front end of the new Accord looks like :barf: (no offense). Mazda's cars are fine, just nothing styling-wise to differentiate them from the competition.
The V6 Camry is slower than the Accord 2.0T. It's already been tested and proven. Not to mention the Accord's numbers are underrated and the 10 speed is incredible.

The front end takes some warming up to with the Accord. It's not near as bad in person, like the 2018 Mustang front end.

I really do like the looks of the new Camry which they did a great job on. They just screwed over everyone on the navigation system though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It will be legislated away as climate change gets worse.
Please don't go there. There is no such thing as "climate change" or "global warming" (name was changed because they were wrong and the globe isn't warming).

It might be legislated away if too many politicians take bribes from Tesla, though.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It will be legislated away as climate change gets worse. For the Mustang I would make a short range all electric weekend car with acceleration it’s strong suit. The Tesla base roadster is said to be faster than its 1.9 second 0-60 claim and the Founders version is faster than that - let’s say 1.7 seconds 0-60. I’m sorry; that says it all right there!
Sure . . . if drag racing or street racing is a person's thing, and they never need to travel very far on short notice. But there's much more to automotive enjoyment than just a few seconds at a time of max acceleration.

It's taken decades for the U.S. domestic market to latch onto the idea that driving on roads and tracks that actually have corners can be a fun thing to do, and I'm afraid that the idea of bogging that down with ponderous-feeling cars (Tesla ~4500#) is directly opposed to any notion of nimble handling behavior.

These hybrid cars are actually held back by the secondary IC engines. They should just do EV all the way. Mustang means freedom and not IC engines. You have a choice in a few years: Bus it or ride a bike - or - EV. All these boy racers here would secretly go for the sub 2 second car. They may not have the balls to say so in this thread. But I can and they will with their pocket books.
To the extent that you mean the boy street-racers and drag racers who live for ETs and trap speeds and whose appreciation of their car rises and falls with 'wins' and 'losses', perhaps.

Some of us have gotten past that, or maybe never got on that treadmill in the first place. I've known that much about myself for as long as I can remember, so it's kind of frustrating to keep hearing about the promise of great straight line acceleration being the only thing worth looking forward to in your future cars. It's like, welcome to the 1950's when the straight line stuff was all that people understood.

But saving the environment and superior performance seems like slam dunk. The Mustang heritage will continue if performance is the priority!
It's common to mention the environmental aspect as being only a positive for EVs without considering the environmental consequences of making all those batteries. And there's still going to be some environmental cost associated with the generation and transmission of all that electricity. While this probably won't be as much as would be created by an equal number of ICE-equipped cars, it's misleading to hand-wave the EV environmental and infrastructure requirements away like they suddenly became nonexistent because the car isn't burning a petroleum product directly.

Norm

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I had a 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring. It's a hell of a car, but just lacking power. Handles like a dream, has a great transmission. Great MPG, great looks too. I honestly do not know why there aren't a lot more Mazda's on the road because they offer a much more intuitive drive than the competition in many aspects.

The 2018 Accord is better in every aspect now. It's quieter, adaptive suspension, better screen/infotainment system, and the power is awesome with really no turbo lag at all. I didn't wait around for the Mazda 6 Signature though which is probably really close to being as good, but I personally haven't read many reviews.

I know the Mazda 6 Signature is detuned a bit on 87 octane where my Accord is not. Even though they say that Premium will give the Accord the best benefit, it's not much of a difference unless it's tuned. I'm typically just driving it around town like a normal person and give it gas when I really need to. Not really keen on tuning the Accord just yet as it's nice filling up on 87 for now.

Mazda and Honda are the two that still keep the sporty aspect in. It's Toyota that's the vanilla beans of the bunch.
I test drove a Mazda6 Grand Touring Reserve with the 2.5T a few weeks ago. Thought it was a fantastic car. That is probably what is going to replace my Focus when it is time. Looks great, handles good for a midsize sedan and has just enough power to give it that fun to drive factor(for what it is). If I go that route, it would be my first vehicle that is not a Ford.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Mazdas have traditionally had a strong sense of "fun to drive" about them. We bought a 1995 626 V6/5-speed and kept it for over 19 years (it's still in service with another family member).

Norm

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Sure . . . if drag racing or street racing is a person's thing, and they never need to travel very far on short notice. But there's much more to automotive enjoyment than just a few seconds at a time of max acceleration.

It's taken decades for the U.S. domestic market to latch onto the idea that driving on roads and tracks that actually have corners can be a fun thing to do, and I'm afraid that the idea of bogging that down with ponderous-feeling cars (Tesla ~4500#) is directly opposed to any notion of nimble handling behavior.

To the extent that you mean the boy street-racers and drag racers who live for ETs and trap speeds and whose appreciation of their car rises and falls with 'wins' and 'losses', perhaps.

Some of us have gotten past that, or maybe never got on that treadmill in the first place. I've known that much about myself for as long as I can remember, so it's kind of frustrating to keep hearing about the promise of great straight line acceleration being the only thing worth looking forward to in your future cars. It's like, welcome to the 1950's when the straight line stuff was all that people understood.

It's common to mention the environmental aspect as being only a positive for EVs without considering the environmental consequences of making all those batteries. And there's still going to be some environmental cost associated with the generation and transmission of all that electricity. While this probably won't be as much as would be created by an equal number of ICE-equipped cars, it's misleading to hand-wave the EV environmental and infrastructure requirements away like they suddenly became nonexistent because the car isn't burning a petroleum product directly.

Norm

Points taken Norm. Realize that as an old guy I listen to young people passionately argue the they will inherit an earth we helped mess up and that does have an impact. Personally my father had a part in helping select sites for the tar sands in Alberta back in the early 1960s so I have some blood on my hands through my dad. I even remember those times and I ran across many engineering slides he took then last week. Guilty.

I advocate at the UN in New York regularly these days and your opinions do change faced with a global outlook.

Technology has given us the ability to keep increasing performance and emit less green house gasses. The battery problems can be recycled but don’t compare to the damage caused by car emissions.

Wow, If me in the late 1980s read this now I would have passed out with shock! :lol:

But I am changing. That Tesla goes over 600 (officially I see 400) miles before a recharge by the way. The arguments are being dismissed one by one. The Mustang legend will evolve with the times. Make way for tomorrow...

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Why not have an all electric car and a V8 Mustang?

I might just do that, saving the world, one BMW i3 at a time.

That would make too much sense. I guess it would take away from GT sales even though those are all sold out. This is why Ford messes this up. No, an Ecoboost hybrid and keep it slower than the GT! :crazy:

Sorry - I thought you meant a hybrid V8! How about all three... :ford:

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Never!
No manual transmission option.
No V8.
No Soul
No Heritage
I think the new Camry looks better.

No sale.

Don't believe the hype. The Mustang will be alive and well when everyone has long forgotten about the Stinger.
I'm pretty sure he was being facetious so good job on that.

Also, you have disgusting taste if you think the Camry looks better than the Stinger.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

Norm

Ok Norm, you have always been a stand up guy so I’ll be honest with you.

First, I have no interest in climate change and all my advocacy is elsewhere.

Second, for a few years I drove many vehicles every day like 5 most days.

There was at least one hybrid every day. As such I have some experience on the matter. I only had one battery go bad on me which surprised even me. But when they go bad they go all the way. Mine didn’t explode or catch fire but I worried for my health with the fumes that came out of that one. Man that was boring stuff but it had it’s moments. I once popped into this place called Multimatic to get something in the back. One of the engineers there had designed a bracket to hold the battery so he ran outside and dove under the car to see how it was holding up in winter driving (now that’s dedication). I bound out the door into the car and almost drove over him. :lol: I know that sounds bad but nothing happened - You had to be there! :lol:

So I owned up and there can be problems. I just wished for once someone would say: “Make me the fastest and best performing car you can design with the budget given you!” Instead of them telling you to make it fast, but not too fast... :tsk: :crazy:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why not have an all electric car and a V8 Mustang?
This ↑↑↑ .

I think an all-electric car might get wider sales acceptance if it carried a name more closely associated with either its electric propulsion or its forward-looking objective.

Norm

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
This ↑↑↑ .

I think an all-electric car might get wider sales acceptance if it carried a name more closely associated with either its electric propulsion or its forward-looking objective.

Norm

What, like the Probe 2?

Not going to happen. The Mustang is a brand they will not kill with the death of the IC engine. Ford plans years and decades ahead and trust me: The future Mustang is all electric. And that is the real reason the Mustang survives!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The future Mustang is all electric. And that is the real reason the Mustang survives!
A Mustang in name only. Used to leverage name recognition. Surviving as an empty shell with no soul. :(

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
A Mustang in name only. Used to leverage name recognition. Surviving as an empty shell with no soul. :(
Typical performance for a future all electric Mustang:

0-60 in 2.3 seconds

9 second quarter

215mph top speed

That’s right - nothing to see here...

The only way it “survives as an empty shell with no soul” is if the driver has no soul. My guess is that the driver will have a big smile on his face. The new hybrid could totally shame the GT if they let the engineers loose on the car. But Ford wants to gently wean its base off the V8. So they give you something close but not quite as fast as a GT. That ain’t right in my books! I say put out the best products and let the consumers decide. But the good news is Mustang is here to stay and it’ll be wicked fast!
Sponsored