Sponsored

TrackSpec S550 Hood Vents

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Just showing off my recent install of these vents. I posted this in the track section as it applies but thought some might like to see it here and possibly do this mod. A little background; I found them by accident looking for an alternative to what I had which was gutted Roush vents along with some under hood cutting to let it breath better. Any of us that track or hit high speeds know of the hood lift as air is trying to get out which also creates lift on the front end as well. I wasn't looking to do hood pins as this obviously doesn't correct the problem. Well, my Roush mod did well and took out significant hood lift which had to help also with front end lift and heat extraction. Last time I was at the track, I saw my passenger side Roush vent flopping around and noticed that it had separated with it's lower section to half of it which I glued down again at the minimal contact spots that keep it together. So, fixed for now but for how long so I started surfing and looking for an alternative.

This brings me to finding a new vent design for our cars (15-17) that is the best looking and most functional we can get without going to a new hood design. The company is called TRACKSPEC and their website is http://trackspecmotorsports.com which you can then navigate to our section.

This modification requires a bit of cutting to the under hood side and a little trimming of the upper supports for the stock or Roush vents so it may not be for everyone but the results are awesome in my opinion both physically and I can't see how not functionally as well.

Here is a completed picture of the top and then I'll show my process which for the most part followed their instructions but I added a couple steps myself which I will point out.

Let me start by saying the quality of materials and finish are topnotch on this product. The main parts consist of the top vent, under mount bracket, and bolts with washers and nuts. Packaging was also something considered for problem free delivery.

So here is where I started even before this. I took my Roush vents and gutted them like in this picture (not mine) and then did some minor trimming of the hood to let better airflow out. That small hole in the uncut Roush vent is what is stock on this and our stock vents. I truly believe they are more more water draining than anything else as they are just worthless for venting. Please excuse the pics from going one side to the other but wanted to show the difference.

Stock

Cut section

Old new hole

And with the gutted Roush vent installed for better air flow

Ok, so I said this was helping but not as much as needed to be so here is the next process with the TRACKSPEC vents.

This is what I cut out now.....Boom.

You can see in the above pic I chose to drill holes in the two corner sections that line up with the holes in the vent. In the instructions they just have you grind those out but I liked how I could set the vent and knew where it laid perfectly and center punched the area and drilled. This worked very well but their way would have been fine to.

Now mounted

And then I added some door trim to finish off the underside which was my own doing.

I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. If anyone chooses to do this, TAKE YOUR TIME. I had to remind myself this 20 thousand times. I did mine with the hood attached and if you want an excellent core workout, this is for you. I would say that it would be easier to take the hood off just so you don't have to contort yourself but not everyone wants to remove the hood. The cutting will make a mess so if you decide to do it with the hood on, use long sleeves, eye protection and cover the engine compartment with a sheet or whatever as tons of aluminum shavings will be everywhere.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I have plenty more pics if there is something specific you'd like to see or I can take any of the completed setup. These things are rigid and can't move at all. The amount of air and heat plus preventing lift will be extremely welcome and the looks of them couldn't be better. Thanks for looking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

furiousfuria

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT/CS Premium
Nice job! Love seeing people do stuff like this

boostaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium 6MT
Looks kick ass! Great job.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Thanks for the compliment guys. I wish the pics could do them justice on how good they look in person. Was really happy to find these and the quality of how they are made.

Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for this [MENTION=20657]db252[/MENTION]!
I've been looking at these for awhile now. Think these will go a long way towards getting all the heat out of the engine compartment generated by the Whipple. And hopefully it helps cut down on the crazy hood lift my car has.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I was actually thinking of taking those and mounting two in the middle, as well, after acquiring another hood from someone selling theirs. Technically, if enough air is flowing through freely, you are reducing lift/drag when you do this. Also have these options from Verus (formerly Velox): https://www.verus-engineering.com/ford-mustang-s550-products
I would really like to see that if you do it. Also, there is a ‘possibility’ that they will be making a custom vent for the center of the hood so maybe consider that.

These will help immensely with flow, heat extraction and significantly reduce lift.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Thanks for this [MENTION=20657]db252[/MENTION]!
I've been looking at these for awhile now. Think these will go a long way towards getting all the heat out of the engine compartment generated by the Whipple. And hopefully it helps cut down on the crazy hood lift my car has.
[MENTION=19179]BDMACH1[/MENTION] You and me both relating to the Whipple. Just finished my E85 upgrade as well which lowered really lowered ACT and CHT. Hood lift will be nonexistent.

Pic is before I installed the rubber trim.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
[MENTION=19179]BDMACH1[/MENTION] You and me both relating to the Whipple. Just finished my E85 upgrade as well which lowered really lowered ACT and CHT. Hood lift will be nonexistent.

Pic is before I installed the rubber trim.
Looks good man! :thumbsup: I sure hope so on the hood lift thing. Mine is terrible...

Sponsored

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Nice work! Thats a bold move cutting the hood like that! Turned out awesome. Is your car a track and fair weather only car? I was just thinking about rain water coming in the vents now.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was actually thinking of taking those and mounting two in the middle, as well, after acquiring another hood from someone selling theirs. Technically, if enough air is flowing through freely, you are reducing lift/drag when you do this. Also have these options from Verus (formerly Velox): https://www.verus-engineering.com/ford-mustang-s550-products
I like these better as it removes the oem recessed area and are larger.

I would really like to see that if you do it. Also, there is a ‘possibility’ that they will be making a custom vent for the center of the hood so maybe consider that.

These will help immensely with flow, heat extraction and significantly reduce lift.
I'd love the ones above with a nice larger center one. Would greatly help with heat dissipation.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Just got s set of of these from tracktech thanks to Dave for getting me off the coach so to speak. I did Dave's last hood mod with the Roush vents and this one seems like a win win again. Until the end of the month there is a 20% discount on all there products.