Check your battery water levels!

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Over the Christmas break I did an oil change and checked all fluids, to include the battery. I had to add 8 oz of distilled water. One cell was VERY low.
Just a heads up, I know a lot of people never think about checking a battery anymore since the common thinking is all batteries are now maintenance free.

Sad part is, it is the exact same battery in my wife's Honda Pilot. It just died with our first cold snap and I had to replace it. If I had thought about checking the levels, it would probably still be working. Yes, it had a dry cell. :doh:
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
you do realize the owners manual states
"Your vehicle is fitted with a Motorcraft
maintenance-free battery which normally
does not require additional water."
I have not heard of a battery requiring to have water added to it in decades.

Did you check the individual cells with a battery hydrometer before adding water to prevent diluting the acid?

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
That word "normally" is why I posted this. I've always just added distilled water, never had any issues, even with a couple golf carts I maintained at work for many years.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
What? I just added water to the Jeep battery last month.

Just to clarify some misconceptions, wet cell batteries come in two types; Serviceable and Maintenance free. Both are very common and the serviceable needs water occasionally. A hydrometer measures the amount of sulfur dissolved in the acid vs. being deposited on the plates. Low sulfur in the acid means the battery is discharged or that cell is dead. You should never add acid to a battery except for the first fill.

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I was told my battery was an AGM and it looks it. The only way to check 'water-level' would be to tear the battery top cover off.

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I was told my battery was an AGM and it looks it. The only way to check 'water-level' would be to tear the battery top cover off.
Mine has two recessed caps I popped off with a flat blade screwdriver.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
That word "normally" is why I posted this. I've always just added distilled water, never had any issues, even with a couple golf carts I maintained at work for many years.
Any battery with a removable cap like you describe run low on water. They have always been like this. Personally I buy a gallon jug of deionized water for this purpose.

Not a bad idea to put a slow charge on the battery after a fill up.

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT

Did you check the individual cells with a battery hydrometer before adding water to prevent diluting the acid?
I too havnt seen a car or motorcycle with a battery that required water in decades. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the battery in my 2014 Juke. It looks like it is from a warp in the time space continuum. Has the little caps and level indicators. Weird ! I guess I will have to check the one in my GT.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Learned Something New

What? I just added water to the Jeep battery last month.

Just to clarify some misconceptions, wet cell batteries come in two types; Serviceable and Maintenance free. Both are very common and the serviceable needs water occasionally. A hydrometer measures the amount of sulfur dissolved in the acid vs. being deposited on the plates. Low sulfur in the acid means the battery is discharged or that cell is dead. You should never add acid to a battery except for the first fill.
I guess I was used to AC delco batteries, no obvious way of adding water. The Ford battery has the two caps as mentioned and they were easily removed. Will keep an eye on the level every few months. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Edit never mind.

This bullshit wouldnt happen if our stupid fucking cars didnt have all this electronic jack assery.

2 of not driving it weeks not driving and my battery was 2.7 fucking volts.

Not going to a lead/water based battery ever again and having to put this car on a battery tender for not even 2 weeks of not driving it is bullshit as well. Parked in an insulated garage that doesnt dip below 60.

NotBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Base)
Your vehicle is equipped with a Motorcraft
does not require additional water during
its life of service.

Page 221 of owner's manual?

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Your vehicle is equipped with a Motorcraft
does not require additional water during
its life of service.

Page 221 of owner's manual?

That was the part of my edit for nevermind.

Shit ass battery that doesnt need maintenence doesnt even last 1 1/2 years before it nearly reverses itself after 2 weeks of not driving it?

It IS a shit battery at this point regardless of if it needed maintenence or not.

Got the battery and they replaced it under warranty. Wonder if I will be back in another year and a half to replace it again.

Looking around online after my post revealed that there is SHIT for options for a replacement battery unless you want like a 400 dollar AGM and mounting headaches.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Low power on battery after two weeks...

Two months after I took delivery on my 2015...I had to leave it in the garage for two weeks. I have left my Chevy and Toyota vehicles for more than a month without a problem. I got home and the Mustang wouldn't even illuminate an interior bulb much less start. I put it on a battery charger.
The car started...but I took it into the dealer to see what the problem was. By that time, the battery was fully charged. They loaded the battery and said it was fine. I asked what would deplete the battery so fast. They had no idea...but they did say that they run the dealership Stangs at least once a week.
I still don't know why the vehicle depletes the battery in such a short time.
Since then I put it on a battery minder if it is going to sit for more than a week.

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang

I didn't check mine w/ a hydrometer, but I had to add distilled water to mine just so it would hold a charge/accept a charge (was super low). Battery sat for about 3 weeks, totally dead. Of course, I typically only drive the car once a week for the last year and a half - that may have a huge part to do it; maybe it's only maintenance free if it's driven often?
Sponsored