m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maserecordingstudio.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
Captains Log: November 25th, 2016 - Ford have yet to provide any update, not even a shred of information anywhere other then the scripted Tier 1 support answers. We are almost a month away from the end of 2016. The level if upset is beyond unsettling. Shame Shame Shame.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
As someone who has owned a Mustang for 18 of the past 22 years...I have decided that if Ford doesn't come out with an update to bring Android Auto and Apple Car play to the 2016 Mustang (as was advertised and promised) I will sell my Mustang and I won't buy another Ford product. I am hoping it won't come to that but once a company lies to me, I refuse to give them my money anymore.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
As someone who has owned a Mustang for 18 of the past 22 years...I have decided that if Ford doesn't come out with an update to bring Android Auto and Apple Car play to the 2016 Mustang (as was advertised and promised) I will sell my Mustang and I won't buy another Ford product. I am hoping it won't come to that but once a company lies to me, I refuse to give them my money anymore.
I get the sentiment. And, sure, don't buy another Ford if you want to 'stick to the man'.

But Ford could care less if you sell your current mustang and the only person you will be hurting in doing so is yourself - assuming you otherwise like the car, of course.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
im 100% with you guys on this one its really pissing me off checking updates everyday and not getting what we were promised

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get the sentiment. And, sure, don't buy another Ford if you want to 'stick to the man'.

But Ford could care less if you sell your current mustang and the only person you will be hurting in doing so is yourself - assuming you otherwise like the car, of course.
I do like the car otherwise but I want do be able to use Android Auto and be able to have my maps displayed on the screen or play video on the screen when parked. I had it in my past Mustang with a custom stereo. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to have to swap out the stereo. I'd sell the car and use that money to buy car that had the features I want. It won't hurt me at all.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I want do be able to use Android Auto and be able to have my maps displayed on the screen or play video on the screen when parked.
You won't be able to play video in Android Auto. Also, from what we've heard, map applications may not work unless you already have the Navigation option (the second part is speculative though, I haven't seen actual reports one way or the other).

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You won't be able to play video in Android Auto. Also, from what we've heard, map applications may not work unless you already have the Navigation option (the second part is speculative though, I haven't seen actual reports one way or the other).
My last car had Android Auto. It will display video from your phone on screen...at least...my old stereo did. Now that I think of it...I might have to swap to an HDMI cable. The maps feature did work though on my old car. If Ford disables the maps feature because you didn't pay for their $700 nav...that would make me want to sell the car as well. If that's the case then I'd just swap out the whole stereo with an aftermarket one.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
My last car had Android Auto. It will display video from your phone on screen...at least...my old stereo did. Now that I think of it...I might have to swap to an HDMI cable. The maps feature did work though on my old car. If Ford disables the maps feature because you didn't pay for their $700 nav...that would make me want to sell the car as well. If that's the case then I'd just swap out the whole stereo with an aftermarket one.
Which head unit did you have? Are you positive it was Android Auto and not just screen mirroring your phone? Everything I'm reading says Android Auto does not permit video playback. What app did you use? There's no video apps listed as being compatible with Android Auto: https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all?hl=en

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Android Auto works with google maps. Don't need navigation as it is getting its data from the phone. I just wish it worked with waze. Hopefully it will by the time the Mustang gets the update... in a year! Lol

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I do like the car otherwise but I want do be able to use Android Auto and be able to have my maps displayed on the screen or play video on the screen when parked. I had it in my past Mustang with a custom stereo. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to have to swap out the stereo. I'd sell the car and use that money to buy car that had the features I want. It won't hurt me at all.
I'm sure [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] could set you up with a '17 sync 3 unit that has android auto for a less than whatever hit you'd take on the car + cost of buying something else equivalent.

I'm sure Ford will make good and release it for the '16s. But even if they don't, I can't imagine getting rid of a car I am otherwise happy with because it does not have android auto.

To each their own, I guess.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am positive it was Android Auto. It was a Pioneer head. I believe it was the Pioneer AVH 4100 NEX. I can't be 100% certain but I know it had Android Auto and Apple Car Play. I had two different cables...one for Apple and one for Android. I also had to buy a HDMI converter which allowed you to display the screen of you phone on the stereo. Looking back...I believe I had a 3rd cable hookup run that was HDMI...so maybe I wouldn't be able to do the video on the screen with the 2016 Ford as it won't have the HDMI cable hookups. Android Auto though with the USB cable did allow me to display my maps though.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I don't think that is Ford's choice. Apple has control of Apple Carplay.

The only reason I didn't get a car with the Nav option is because of the promised Carplay update.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Ford needs to do this already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 113

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
My wifes car has apple carplay and android auto. Its a VW Jetta GLI. We didn't get the nav option because she never uses nav anyway. Now with android auto, she uses it and you can enter and search while car is in motion (I'm driving, shes searching), until you don't have cell service, then it don't know where you are.
Sponsored