Sweating Bullets Right Now

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
please. relax. buy the car. Nothing abnormal about the quality of the s550. Just because you read some guys problem on the inetrnets does not mean every car has that issue.
Sponsored

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
No S550s in Chicago area to buy?

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Where in NJ are you buying? I got mine from George Wall Ford in Shrewsbury/Red bank. Are you getting it shipped out to you or are you coming out to NJ to pick it up?

I haven't had any issues with mine, except getting the seat cooler/heater fixed under a TSB. It took the dealership about an hour to do :p

Great car, tons of fun, drives nice, comfortable.

GT_Tommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
TVS Supercharged Premium PP
Like others have said, inspect it with a fine tooth comb before you take delivery. There can be small issues that come up, but not ALL dealers are horrible to work with. Take your time and express to them that you actually care about the car. Request their most experienced tech and have them research the problem with Ford before they just start tearing the car apart. Don't be afraid to recommend fixes that you have read about online. I had to have a few small issues warrantied, but everything has been perfect otherwise. Good look with the new car!

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
i havent taken my car to the dealer for any warranty work. Car runs great. There is the TSB on the cooled seats not cooling, but not really in a rush for that. The fix for that didnt seem to be reliable. Yes definately inspect it for panel alignment, rear windshield alignment before considering. I did and my car was fine with nothing to fix.

Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Mine is a '15 and I have not had one single issue with it.

Grandmarshal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dario
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No issues here! i daily drive mine and push it real hard sometimes.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
So I finally decided on an S550 that was on a lot in New Jersey (I'm in Chicago) and we "should" be picking it up this Monday. However, my dad and the car guy he is told me to look up issues regarding my 16 GT. So I just did that and man, is this car a lemon?! I love the car and all, but after going to the issues/problems subforum I'm asking myself, "Is this car going to be taken to the shop often?"

Perhaps you guys could shed light on this with some issues you've had with your Mustang. I'm really only focused on the major issues though. The ones that caught my eye are the driveshaft rumbling, differential issues, stalling (dealing with the clutch sensor apparently) and things of that nature.

My potential mustang details: GT Premium, Magnetic, PP, Redline, All options except Adaptive Cruise

Thanks Everyone! PLEASE ease my mind! :headbonk:
If you go to any enthusiast forum you will hear a host of issues. These are a complex machine, and some will have minor problems, a few will have major problems. Most will have few or no problems. Go for it. ~16,000 miles in, have had one tail light replaced for an intermittent issue. Other than that rock solid.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
You have to remember that the people that post in a forum are a very small sample of total sales. While issues do exist it's really a small portion of the cars that have had issues and it's all covered under your warranty. I personally have not had to take my car in for any repairs.
Read this about 100 times and go buy the car. It's an amazing leap above previous generations.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
I have a '15, Premium EB. I just turned 14225 miles with zero problems or returns to the dealer, with the exception of two recalls, which I considered unnecessary, but had completed. My car is an early build, Oct 2014, purchased in Nov 2014. Panel fit is perfect, no paint problems, interior is also perfect, no squeaks or rattles.

As someone else noted, take it for a test drive and find a street with bumps or railroad tracks to show any rattles or squeaks.

Buying a new car is very emotional, especially when you pick one out of the herd. So, try and keep focused on areas folks have mentioned here and don't be afraid to tell the salesman to buzz off while you look the car over, alone, no distractions. If you see areas of concern, take a photo with your phone so you will remember it. This also gives you a date for future reference. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you. Enjoy!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when looking at threads concerning problems with the car, be aware of trolls. I always look to see how many posts they have and if they even show up again in the same thread after receiving responses. I always take the one post complaints with a grain of salt (I am old we say things like that).

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

DJ_Vorticees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang S550 GT
No S550s in Chicago area to buy?
None with exactly what I wanted in the color and interior I wanted. I wanted it fully loaded with all options and the one I'm having transported here is only missing the Adaptive Cruise option which I decided to love without.

OP
OP

DJ_Vorticees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang S550 GT
Where in NJ are you buying? I got mine from George Wall Ford in Shrewsbury/Red bank. Are you getting it shipped out to you or are you coming out to NJ to pick it up?

I haven't had any issues with mine, except getting the seat cooler/heater fixed under a TSB. It took the dealership about an hour to do :p

Great car, tons of fun, drives nice, comfortable.
I'm not sure where in NJ, the dealer just said it's from there. I'll let you know the details on Monday though! And it's getting shipped from NJ to Chicago

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Don't sweat it. I always tell people that for the most part, no one goes online to talk about their product (car, in this case) if it works as it should. My big thing is to avoid a new engine model. This 5.0 is in its 5-6th year I think? Generally the bugs have been worked out by this point.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
My wife bought me one as a gift/surprise. I didn't get to test drive this car before bringing it home, car was already bought. So far, so good. I've noticed minor panel alignment issue (hard to notice on a black car) which I am still waiting to get it addressed on my first oil change. Had the car since March. I used to put about 3k-4k miles a year on my VW. I already have 4k miles on the mustang within 3 months of driving. My wife has noticed that I am willingly volunteering to go run errands, or go for a drive just because I enjoy it.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Remember it's a Ford, built in unionized shop. As long as you remember about it, you'll be fine. * Snip &
Unfortunate that you feel this way but try not to communicate your rash negativity towards a company that survived the recent horrific recession without declaring bankruptcy. I have had many Ford vehicles since the early '90's and have had much better luck than my buddies with their foreign prima donnas.
Sponsored