One Rad GT: Mishimoto’s Mustang GT Aluminum Radiator R&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT

One Rad GT: Mishimoto’s Mustang GT Aluminum Radiator Post 1: Stock Component Evaluation and Plans

As many of you are aware, we have explored nearly every inch of our GT in a quest to bring you some seriously awesome Mustang parts. While catch cans and oil coolers are exciting, we have a hunch that the most anticipated product is the Mustang radiator. Aluminum radiators are the staple component among our various product lines, so we were excited to show you our progress on this project.

The stock radiator is your run-of-the-mill OEM unit equipped with plastic end tanks. While there is nothing wrong with this setup for the average GT, we still see some room for improvement. First, Ford was on the right track when it equipped it’s performance-pack version of the GT with a larger radiator. The performance-pack boasts a 36mm core, compared to the standard GT radiator that comes in at 25mm. We plan to offer our own version, which will have more capacity than either the standard or performance-pack options.

2015 Mustang parts

2015 Mustang Parts

After having a look at the stock radiators, we created our own version in Solidworks. A 3D model of the prototype will allow us to obtain a more accurate first prototype and make more precise changes if need be. This prototype will feature fully-welded aluminum end tanks for added durability, as well as a large core for more cooling capacity.

Here is a look at some 3D models of our first prototype rad.

Mishimoto’s 2015+ Mustang Radiator prototype front view

Mishimoto’s 2015+ Mustang Radiator prototype rear view

Coming Up!

Now that our prototype is in the works, next up is fitment and testing of the Mustang radiator. Check back for more details and photos of our prototype. Also let us know what you think of our 2015 Mustang parts development so far.

Thanks for reading!
-Sara
Sponsored

Last edited:

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
I'm betting this will be a hit with the track guys, definitely don't feel the need to mess with my performance pack radiator under the use I give the car. Keep up the good work!

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
Interested in this. I was thinking of changing my non-pp radiator to the bigger PP version, may have to wait and see how this turns out. Plan is to whipple my car my this winter.

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Is the GT350 radiator different?

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Mustang GT
damn nd I just did the pp radiator upgrade

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
I'm betting this will be a hit with the track guys, definitely don't feel the need to mess with my performance pack radiator under the use I give the car. Keep up the good work!
Looking forward to this piece....
yeah im super excited for this. anything to keep my baby cool.
Thanks for the kind words guys! We are excited to get started with testing and see what our first prototype has to offer.

-Sara

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
I just like new parts! +1 for Mishi! I still need to pick me up a black coolant reservoir tank!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
I just like new parts! +1 for Mishi! I still need to pick me up a black coolant reservoir tank!
Thanks for the kind words!

damn nd I just did the pp radiator upgrade
Did you find a noticeable difference with the PP rad?

Is the GT350 radiator different?
After looking into this further I was informed that the GT350 rad is the same as the PP rad.

Interested in this. I was thinking of changing my non-pp radiator to the bigger PP version, may have to wait and see how this turns out. Plan is to whipple my car my this winter.
Nice! You shouldn't have to wait too much longer we are looking into testing this rad very soon.

-Sara

Sponsored

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Mustang GT
Very Minimal

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm shopping for a new radiator now, stock one didn't cut it at my last track day.

When do you think something will be available for sale?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
I'm shopping for a new radiator now, stock one didn't cut it at my last track day.

When do you think something will be available for sale?
It is hard to say an exact date at this point in development. We are testing our prototype as we speak and if all goes well with testing we will kick it into production ASAP and start a Pre-Sale. I will share news and test results as soon as testing is concluded next week to keep you all in the loop!

-Sara

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
One Rad GT: Mishimoto’s Mustang GT Aluminum Radiator R&D Part 2

IMG_4687-672x372.jpg

One Rad GT: Mishimoto’s Mustang GT Aluminum Radiator R&D Part 2: Test-Fitment

In our last post we took a look at our plans for the Mustang radiator and how we were designing it in Solidworks. Thanks to the speedy design, our first functional prototype is complete and ready for some test fitment!

Straight out of the box, it is quite a hefty unit and should provide some much needed cooling for this GT. Check out some installed photos of our functional prototype.

Post-2-RESIZED-2.jpg

Mustang radiator installed

Post-2-RESIZED-1.jpg

Post-2-RESIZED-3.jpg

Comparison of stock and Mishimoto Mustang radiator

As you can see, the Mishimoto aluminum Mustang radiator is much larger than the stock unit. The end tanks on our Mishimoto unit are around the same width, but we have increased the size of our core to 52mm. This is a significant increase over the stock 25mm as well as the 36mm performance pack.

Post-2-RESIZED-4.jpg

There were no issues with clearance, even with our beefy core in place. All Mustang parts, both Mishimoto and stock, fit nicely with our radiator.

Post-2-RESIZED-5.jpg

Test-fitting Mustang parts

Post-2-RESIZED-6.jpg

Post-2-RESIZED-7.jpg

Coming Up!

So, we have a beautifully fitted radiator, and you know what that means! Next up we will be putting our Mustang radiator through its paces. Stay tuned for radiator testing and results, and let us know what you think of our design in the comments below.

Thanks for reading!
-Sara
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.